Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help with dash removel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
The Italian Job
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with dash removal

I need to replace the AC blower fan/motor combo. The inside one for blowing air through the ventalation system, not the underhood radiator fan that has the well known resistor problem.

Replacing the blower requires complete removal of the dash according to the Bentley's manual. I've already done radio replacement and fog lamp retrofit so I thought I had the dash thing down.

Unfortunately one of the first steps is to remove the heater hoses from the heater core pipes on the firewall. I don't see anyway to get a set of pliers in there to squeeze the hose clamps to release the hoses. The air intake box has been removed but I can barely get my big hands down there let alone have enough room to manipulate a tool. I've tried from underneath too, but no luck.

I'm going back to start taking apart as much of the inside stuff, radio, center console etc. as I can hoping I'll be inspired or someone provides some good advice. Maybe I'll be so lucky that I'll find I can access the blower without pulling out the heater core and AC evaporator. I doubt it but it's nice to dream.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know a trick or special tool?

Last edited by The Italian Job; 08-05-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: corrrect a typo
Old 06-11-2016, 11:55 AM
zigzag930
1st Gear
I'm looking at having to do this myself. How did you ever make out? Did you have to pull the dash completely? How bad was the job?

Old 08-13-2016, 06:23 AM
HIGHMILE E55
Neutral
Originally Posted by zigzag930
I'm looking at having to do this myself. How did you ever make out? Did you have to pull the dash completely? How bad was the job?
I had to remove the dash 3 times (don't ask). I didn't need to remove the hoses he was referring to, but it was still a pain. There is a screw that is hidden behind the passenger airbag which was about the only thing that got me stuck - since I was avoiding removing things I didn't have to.

It's totally do-able, with enough patience.

Good luck!