Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

No Codes; Random EML Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 AM
JasonB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Codes; Random EML Light

Hi All,

I have a 2006 S with 96k on the clock. I have owned the car since day one and currently have an Alta CAI, Detroit Tuned BV and a 15% Pulley. I have other mods that have come and gone with the most recent being a header that I took off because I'm having a flex piece welded in.

It's been running rough as of late and I've been going through the standard procedures i.e. plugs, wires and coil, the BPV, new harmonic balancer and belt which I though would be the cure all, new map sensor on the intake and waiting for the one by the thermostat which should be in today or tomorrow, new o-ring on crank sensor, checked the temp sensor against the ambient sensor and it is within range, with the 1 new map sensor all readings on the OBD are in spec as are the fuel trim values eliminating the fuel pump from the running as a cause to my issues. New gasket at the plastic intake tube where it transitions to the super charger. The super charger was starting to show it's evil ways so I checked the super charger oil changed that. The front side oil was black and the water pump side oil was essentially non-exsistent. I think I caught it in time being that the gears had very minor scars and the needle bearing was still intact and not seized. Much, much quieter now. Sounds like it did when it had oil in it. If anything I bought myself a few more miles on it.
The last couple of days the EML light has came on three times and every time I recycle the key and it stays off. I've rechecked all the connections for the sensors and BPV this includes the electrical and the emission tubing.

Yesterday, after a very short spirited romp, I was sitting at a light for a couple of minutes and when I took off it it fell flat on its face and almost died. It felt identical to the way it did when the balancer decided to self destruct but without the limp mode and codes. I again recycled the key and it was fine. It happened again 2 more times with the same remedy. Again, no codes, oh and no EML light either. It almost seems like heat soak with vapor lock but again with a twist of the key its gone. It really seems to mirror what would be a faulty fuel pump of fuel issues but no codes.

Hope i didn't overkill on the details. Anybody have ideas, suggestions?

I have also done a compression test and the numbers we're in the 130's to low 150's with cylinder 2 being the lowest.

Personally, It's a sign.....time to go but the new 1M!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 AM
JasonB
1st Gear
I was going to change the Serpentine belt today when I noticed something under the intercooler, well just to the left of the intercooler under the air duct on the intake manifold. There is a nipple there that is supposed to have a small vacuum hose attached to it. I found the end of the tube under the manifold so I reattached it to the nipple. The other end of the tube is attached to the pressure regulator on the injection tube. From the looks of the end of the tube it has been disconnected for a long time. Guess what....the horrible stumble I was getting around 2800-3200 rpm has essentially vanished. I still can't believe I have missed that for so long. It's probably been 2 years. we'll see tomorrow if the EML light returns or the random limp mode occurs again.Check all your connections!!

Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM
JasonB
1st Gear
Well the line came off again and immediately the problems arose. I zipped tied back on and it's absolutely amazing. Everything is perfect again or par. To me though it feels like its way above par because I been driving with the issue for so long. One thing that did arise after reinstalling the tube was during warm-up. After the RPM settled.down the car would hiccup and fight to stay runnin. It would work its day through it and idle normal. It happened twice and hasn't done it since. I should reset the ecu. Hmmm

Now to see how much longer the supercharger last.

Last edited by JasonB; 08-12-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 AM
minintrigue
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance you have a photo of the offending hose?