Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

COLD WEATHER=BLOWN TRANNY...HOW MANY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 10:42 AM
yellocooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Mini Peabody customers have recently had transmission replacements
that the dealer admitted to COLD WEATHER as the reason for failure. I know this has been a bad winter, but I think I smell a recall.Have any other owners had this
problem? Can anyone provide further details of exactly what element in the tranny
is failing?

Old 02-05-2004, 10:49 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yello,
did you suffer this fate?

"Rich_V" on roadfly appears to have had the same issue.

I think we have to be careful about getting too excited ... MINI Peabody is a very proactive dealership; the general situation may be different. My information was that there was a seal problem - I guess if it goes un-corrected and transmission oil is lost, the result might take out the whole transmission

Old 02-05-2004, 11:12 AM
yellocooper
3rd Gear
No Ian, mines ok, X-scuse me if you assumed I was pointing a finger at
Mini Peabody. We both know Mini Peabody is the BEST DEALERSHIP in the states.
The problem so far seems to be Midland 5 speed only. I was trying to get as much
feedback on this problem as possible before it turns into an epidemic. If I need some seals replaced, i'd rather drive to my dealer than ride on a flat bed. I couldn't
bear being without my Mini car for an extended period.Besides, I blew a seal once,and it didn't taste too good...

P.S. GB MINI still my fav car of all time...Just love it.
P.S.S. I have'nt responded to your latest "elderly cargiver" thread yet because I may have to work. But I'll be there if I can. I'll keep you posted...

Old 02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
"Besides, I blew a seal once,and it didn't taste too good..."

LOL!!

Reminds me of a joke about a penguin that takes his car to the mechanic and goes across the street to get some ice cream while it's getting looked over.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Trippy
Banned
02/02 build MINI Cooper 5-speed. No problems so far, but
it hasn't been that cold here. Only:

Old 02-05-2004, 03:37 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of tranny failure was it? fork breaking, teeth sheered off,
syncro's not working, bearings, etc?

We might be able to avoid some of that if we go easy on the trannies
for 10min or so while we warm up our cars.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:03 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Trippy,
That is very very cold
I wonder, is your MINI garaged?

Kenchan,
What I know is that Gary (head tech) was disturbed to see more than one similar failure in a short space of time, having never seen such before - it just rings alarm bells in a good mechanic.
My understanding is some sort of gasket / sealant failure that led to a loss of transmission oil.

PERSONAL OPINION:
I think Gary is *supposing* that it is cold related - because it is currently cold!
But of course it could be a pure coincidence (don't you hate them), or it could be some different cause (eg: the evil salt that New England spreads on its roads - that is a joke!)

Yello - if you know more exact reason why you state the cold weather link, pray tell.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
This is "Rich_V" aka Orvillespooner.
I have the "blown transmission" problem. It is too early to tell right now but it may be cold weather related. It was in fact a blown seal that caused the transmision oil to dump. This was in the most severe of conditions with the car caked in ice and snow. Impossible to spot any oil on the ground or car. The only warning was a slight clicking sound in third gear going down hill and a slight whine that changed pitch in 5th when throttle up/down. But the next day it seemed to disappear. Then a crunching sound in second, like driving over crackling ice (which I was by the way' doing). WARNING: IF YOU HAVE THE 5PD AND YOU HEAR ANY UNUSUAL NOISES RELATED TO TRANSMISSION LIKE I HAVE DESCRIBED (especially if noise ceases when clutch pedal is depressed) STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY. Look for oil dripping from gearbox. YOU WILL RUIN THE TRANSMISSION otherwise. My dealer called and they were overnighting a new transmission for installation today. Don't know the status yet. No questions asked.. they are replacing it. Say that BMW has fixed the seal. This happened at 31k. Car has no modifications, and has been driven with care, and had all the dealer service. (Just in Dec. had the second oil change/service). The oil will leak from the driver side drive shaft seal. I was a little bit oily there last year and service said it was ok. (I noticed and pointed it out, unfortunately this was before anyone knew this could happen).

Old 02-06-2004, 01:58 AM
yellocooper
3rd Gear
thankyou for your description Rich V.

Hopefully the cold weather is just coincidence, but we shall see in time.

tranny replacements so far that I know of:
1)NIGHTOWL
2)CHRISNL
3)RICH V

Pardon me while I buy Mr Penguin an ice cream... :smile:

Old 02-06-2004, 04:58 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
auto's or manual's?

Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 AM
dandp
6th Gear
yellocooper, maybe you could put mileage down after the owner's name.

FYI, I have had two different seals replaced. I will check my service records to see what exactly they were - I know the service guys were very surprised to see the problem.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:32 PM
frankgug
Neutral
>>We might be able to avoid some of that if we go easy on the trannies
>>for 10min or so while we warm up our cars.

Exactly what my dealer, Prestige MINI in Mahwah, NJ, told me: let it warm up.

I got in my car yesterday morning, Thursday, and the tranny felt like it was frozen. It was very difficult to get it into reverse to get out of my driveway and just as difficult to get into 1st and 2nd for the short ride to the train station.

When I called the dealer, they told me that I had probably driven through a deep puddle (I did) and the transmission cables had frozen overnight. I was told that if frozen cables was really the problem, the car would probably be alright when I got home that evening, and it was. Apparently, the slightly warmer weather during the day thawed out the cables and the car shifter fine that evening when I got home.

Scott, my service rep, told me that sometime in early to mid-2003 MINI replaced the original cables with insulated ones. He said that Prestige had replaced the cables in 3 or 4 MINI's already this winter, but for the last replacement they had to get the cables from overseas. He said that he would try to find me a set but he wasn't too optimistic.

Two hours later Scott called my office to tell me that he had gotten me a set of cables and that I had an appointment for 10:00 am Saturday morning to have them replaced.

BTW, I had my software upgraded during the Christmas holidays and so far, knock on wood, the car seems fine. I no longer feel like I'm taking my life in my hands to cross a busy intersection from a dead stop. My son says that the car feels like the software took off a little of the initial torque, but overall, considering that the dreaded stumble is gone, I couldn't be happier.

Can't beat Prestige!

PS. How's everybody's gas mileage doing during the winter?

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 02-06-2004, 12:45 PM
dandp
6th Gear
I will add that Eric at Helix put their short shift in my Cooper; was doing a checkup down there - noted that there seemed to be moisture on the cables, so that would follow suit along with other owners with cold weather issues.

And yes, Prestige is an excellent dealership.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
A couple of points:

--Yes, some of the trasmission cables (seems to be perhaps early to mid '03s?) are prone to freezing, and the dealers should replace these under warranty (mine is currently in the shop awaiting the backordered (!) cables). Apparently there was a design change sometime in later '03 that seems to fix the problem.

--Just thinking along the lines of a Car Talk story I heard last week (actually relating to a MINI owner), perhaps it would be better if you hear funny crunchy sounds coming from the tranny, and you don't want a rebuilt transmission, then maybe you might want to think about driving it until it's dead and then you can get a shiny new transmission from MINI? I know it's kind of devious and sort of a crappy thing to do, but I prefer total destruction and brand new parts to partial destruction and rebuilt parts. But maybe it's just me...

Old 02-08-2004, 07:59 AM
ministrone
2nd Gear
My 03 MCS cables froze solid when the temp dipped to -15C. Dealer said to give it a few minutes to warm up first, but it still was like a rock. Finally I forced it into gear and drove off slow and withing 1 minute it was ok. In the morning it was ok (in my garage) but in the afternoon at work (outside) it was frozen solid again. Took it to the dealer and they ordered new cables under warranty.

Good thing because that was only at -15C... just the beginning of winter

Old 02-08-2004, 08:01 AM
yellocooper
3rd Gear
Before we get off topic here, this thread was about a specific problem
with the Midland 5 speed where fluid loss (caused by a faulty seal)
caused transmission failure. Please post if you had this problem.

Frozen shifter cables are not related to this problem.

I would suggest surveying the ground for gear oil beneath your car
before driving if you have the Midland 5 speed.

Personally, I havenot experienced any problems and I love my 5 speed.
I'm just trying to give fellow owners a "heads up" on this specific gear oil
leakage problem before it becomes an epidemic

Old 02-08-2004, 01:04 PM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
PICKED UP MY MINI TODAY AFTER NEW TRANSMSSION INSTALLED.
It is Sunday so I did not speak to anyone at dealer. Friday they said that they also replaced clutch slave.
Here's the rundown for everyones info 9from the paperwork):
The transmission is remanufactured. I hope this means that the problem has been solved. Service manager assured me that BMW/MINI does not want to be replacing many more transmissions. I took a look at it any it looks shiny and new. The clutch pedal is "limp", you have to be almost to the floor before clutch dissengages.
Otherwise shifts nicely. I cannot tell any difference looking at the seals from the outside. However I did not memorize the originals.
I can also see the oil fill/check and the oil drain plugs. They have copper washers on them. If I am incorrect on this please someone let me know. Believe me I will be visually checking this transmission often. One reason NOT to install skid plate.
The service tech also perfomed an "electronic front end chassis alignment / tuning" which has made my steering wheel perfectly straight. (I did not ask for that!) I asked for update on engine software but do not know if I got it. It does idle better though. Overall the service was professional and never a hint of "you should have known better" than to drive with a noise or anything else like that. They took full responsibility. The seals never should have leaked.
The only bad thing is that they broke my battery cover (this is the third one) and left it. And when I removed the air filter I found they forgot to tighten the airbox screws (which has to be removed to replace transmission) Also the air filter was horribly dirty, I had already purchaed a new one. MINI won't replace these till 65k?!?.
One of my anti lock brake wires to front wheel was hanging loose (they forgot to snap it back into it's bracket. It pays to check your car over after service!

Old 02-09-2004, 03:02 AM
crydgren
Neutral
My MINI '03 went to the dealer's on a flatbed this weekend. Same transmission problem. It has about 24,000 miles on it. I am going to call them this morning. I'll keep you updated.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:21 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
I have driven my MINI with it's new transmission several hundred miles now and the clutch seems to have adjusted itself. I would guess that air has bled out through the brake reservoir, or some other explanation. The clutch does not appear to have any mechanical adjustment, and no one seems to be answering my question on that, I am glad that I did not go back to my dealer with it. Also the alignment they did would have been "by the book" I would guess, after taking the front end apart to remove the axles.. so in retrospect that was not due to any noticed problem by the tech probably. I asked for update software but they didn't do it. The car idles better though... most likely because I changed my air filter which was clogged with bugs grease and dirt. 31k '03 MC 5spd.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:29 AM
jsun
6th Gear
^ Orvillespooner...just curious, where are you located and who is the dealer which replaced your transmission?

Old 02-10-2004, 04:03 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
Old 03-03-2004, 03:54 AM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
>>My MINI '03 went to the dealer's on a flatbed this weekend. Same transmission problem. It has about 24,000 miles on it. I am going to call them this morning. I'll keep you updated.

Could you reply with an update> did you get a new transmission? Thanks!

Old 03-04-2004, 03:31 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I don't know how I've missed this thread until now! My 5-speed failed at 15,000 miles, less than 48 hours after a solid week of subzero temperatures, during which I drove a few hundred miles. Same "driving over crunching ice" sound that others have described. The seal failed near the front driver's side wheel and dumped fluid.

I personally put absolutely no faith in this "remanufactured" transmission story that the dealerships are putting out. I'm not saying that Peabody is lying, but based on MINI's ignorance of other major problems with the car, I don't trust the quality of the information the dealerships are getting.

I absolutely think this problem is worthy of a recall. I'm selling my car because of it. I don't want to be stuck with a $3000 bill when my second Midlands 5-speed dies at 51,000 miles. Since these are English transmissions previously used in Rovers, they're unproven at extremely cold temperatures, and I don't trust it. Trippy and others with the Midlands tranny who live in very cold places, I think you should be very concerned about this!

MINI is putting a different 5-speed (Getrag) in new Coopers starting sometime in the next few months, and that's likely what I'm going to buy. I don't appreciate having to sell my first new car less than two years after buying it because MINI doesn't care to address major failure problems with the car. I don't appreciate having dumped money into mods that I won't recover with the sale.

AND I DON'T APPRECIATE MINI DIVISION'S COMPLETE SILENCE ON THIS!!! They've responded to threads about much less significant problems than this, and they were clearly trolling the site today looking for easy problems to fix.

If anyone wants to start a recall petition or take some other form of collective action, let me know, I'm with you.

note to mods: is it possible to delete the cable-related posts from this thread, so that we can get cohesive information together about this serious problem? I'm sure that those posters will see the logic in doing so. thanks!

Old 03-04-2004, 04:22 PM
orvillespooner
2nd Gear
I agree with you. But I hope that BMW/MINI would be a better company than to leave owners stuck with a bad transmission. Every time I am asked about how I like the MINI I just have to mention the transmission replacement. How can I ignore it! It is on my mind all the time.
After a cold winter I finally used hot water to clear ice off my driveway, and what do I find under the ice? Gear oil layered in the ice. That's where it ended up. Stories like ours could really hurt sales. I hope they take some action with this. If they would extend the warranty on my new transmission that would be enough for me to regain my faith. Transmission fails for the SAME reason till 100,000 miles> fix it. If it truly has been solved then there would not be any reason for them to worry. I have a 1955 Plymouth with a standard transmission. Never lost any oil in all these years. Who ever heard of such a problem?

Old 03-04-2004, 06:14 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I think that BMW, in true corporate, non-customer-friendly fashion, has done the math and decided that it's cheaper to just replace trannies up until 50,000 miles, rather than recall all the Coopers. A relatively small number of cars are sold to owners that regularly drive in subzero temperatures, and the failure rate doesn't seem to be very high in general, although of course there's no way for us to know. There are probably PLENTY of people who have the tranny replaced, and because it's under warranty and therefore free, and because they buy the "remanufacturing" story, they drive away ignorantly happy.

My biggest fear is that by the time I get a new Cooper and am therefore able to sell mine, this story will have gotten more widespread coverage, and my resale value will sink like a stone. This is no position to leave customers in, and BMW/MINI should be ashamed of themselves.

And DAMN them for getting me so hooked on this car that I have to reward their carelessness by lining their pockets with another MINI purchase!

Quick Reply: COLD WEATHER=BLOWN TRANNY...HOW MANY?