Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

video - Squeaky / High-pitched whirring from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:44 PM
mknawabi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
video - Squeaky / High-pitched whirring from engine bay

Help! I'm not sure what this sound is, but I think it might be because of the belt.. however, I'm not the most mechanically inclined and was wondering if any of you have heard a sound like this before?

I'm really hoping it isn't alternator related. It wasn't making this loud of a noise before, and I just got the bumper replaced because someone backed up into me..after I got it back from the shop I started hearing this noise.

Hopefully the sound is clear enough. Thanks for your help/input!
(Also, sorry for the sound quality..you'd think the 5D Mark 2 would have better sound recording abilities!)

Old 08-17-2011, 03:25 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
Sounds like your belt tensioner is on the way out.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the belt tensioner. You can search the forums here and/or on youtube and pull up other videos and compare the sound to what you hear. There are also threads on here on how to repair it. And finally, Moss Motors sells the bushings for $25. Consider putting on a tensioner stop if you are going to do the repair or having the repair done. The tensioner stop can prevent some serious damage if the tensioner ever fails in the future. This is a fairly common problem on these cars and as modern repair costs go, not terribly expensive or complicated. On my car the sound would appear at a random time and also then disappear again. I bought a new belt when I bought my bushings but the sound went away again before the parts arrived.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM
mknawabi
1st Gear
My car is a r50, so I don't think a tensioner stop will be applicable in my case, right? And since it's an r50, I won't be able to replace just the bearings?

I'm looking at this part: http://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-bel...ioner-r50.html

I guess i'll try to replace the control arm bushings, belt, cabin air filter, air intake filter, and do an oil change and consider that my lovely 50K service.

Also, i'm super jealous that you have a triumph TR6. I want to buy one of those and drive it to the beach with a pretty girl in the passenger seat

Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are correct that the parts are different and I should have picked up that you have a R50 instead of an R53. I am not as familiar with the problem on your car. You can always call and ask questions when you order at Way Motor Works. While I have not ordered anything from them in the past I have seen many many posts where they have provided insight and assistance.

As far as the TR6, now is a good time to buy one, especially if you enjoy working on the cars. They are much simpler to work on. As for driving it to the beach with a pretty girl, the pretty girls were not standard or an option on the cars, sorry, you would have to provide your own.

I was told when I bought it that I was buying a chick magnet. After driving it for a bit, my response was that they were correct, but unfortunately the polarity was reversed and it seemed to repel them.... The car does get a fair amount of attention, but by far the most vocal group in regards to the car are kids. They love the thing and don't hesitate to voice their approval. Though recently on the highway a very new, very nice Mustang passed me on the highway, then let off on the accelerator, slowed beside me, both the man driving and the pretty woman in the passenger seat gave me a thumbs up, then sped off. I do get waves in the MINI, but I do not get that response!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:38 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
I also have an R50 and had the same sound as you. It was the belt tensioner. Ask somebody at WMW they can help you out as well.