Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Airbag Light Warranty -- What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
JHNguyen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Light Warranty -- What to do?

I had my air bag light come on a few months ago out of the blue and after reading a bit, I found out it was covered under warranty. I've finally decided to get everything all situated and am curious of the process I need to go through to get it done?

I did not receive a letter, I only found out about the warranty after searching online. I am under 150k so I think I am still eligible? Should I setup an appointment mentioning the issue and how I had learned that it's covered under warranty? Should I expect to pay anything like a diagnosis?

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Smitty007
1st Gear
My understanding is the extended warranty is only for 02-04 models where the passenger seat wiring has failed. If you have an 05/06 you're out of luck for warranty, the issue with those is the weight sensor mat in the passenger that as far as I've found is not covered.

If you have an 02-04 you'll just need to schedule an appointment with the dealer and hope that what's failed is covered.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 PM
JHNguyen
1st Gear
I have a 2003. Will try to schedule appointment tomorrow.

Should I mentioned that I want to check if it's under warranty? Or should I ask just for a regular inspection on the airbag light?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Ammi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JHNguyen
I had my air bag light come on a few months ago out of the blue and after reading a bit, I found out it was covered under warranty. I've finally decided to get everything all situated and am curious of the process I need to go through to get it done?

I did not receive a letter, I only found out about the warranty after searching online. I am under 150k so I think I am still eligible? Should I setup an appointment mentioning the issue and how I had learned that it's covered under warranty? Should I expect to pay anything like a diagnosis?

Thanks!
If you have warranty, call your local dealer. If it's still valid, schedule an appointment

Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM
MadisonKobalt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Set up an appointment and mention that you think it might be this issue covered by MINI warranty.
The dealers usually have no issue with doing warranted work as they know they will be paid a set amount to resolve the issue based on steps MINI tells them to do.
The process actually goes like this.
Owner reports issue X, Y, and/or Z.
Shop looks at work performed on vehicle using the database linked by your key.
Shop checks codes / condition reported.
If they find a condition possibly covered by Recall or T.S.B., MINI corporate decides what steps are authorized to be followed to resolve issue and the shop attempts the repair as directed by MINI; until issue is resolved.
While it may seem the dealer might be short changed for warranty work. In reality MINI directs them to do the most minimal work to resolve the situation, which may mean multiple covered procedures which the shop is doing to resolve the issue. We had a misfire in a cylinder which resulted in 5 different covered procedures to resolve. Keeps the shop busy and staff employed, if not annoying for the fact they may have been able to jump to resolution #5 right away and saved MINI money in the long run.