Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine rattling: The death of my mini :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM
yonatan11
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine rattling: The death of my mini :(

I just recently had taken my sweet, sweet baby r53 to a mechanic to get some motor mounts replaced, and a new belt put in. I didn't have any sort of lift, or ramps to work on my car besides basic things, (replacing expansion tank etc). This was such a weight off my mind to get these things done. Like usual, I procrastinated for a few weeks, and finally just bit the bullet, bought the parts, and paid a mechanic.. Three days later I suddenly, out of nowhere, i'm merging onto the interstate and hear this rattle sound. After getting home and realizing it wasn't going away, I took it back to the shop, thinking maybe it was either the chain tensioner, or perhaps a problem that emerged from the prior belt installation.

Long story short, I took it into the mechanic today, who uttered 4 terrifying words to me: "The damage is done."

I just put most of my savings into buying this car a few months ago so I would have a car that I enjoyed that got good gas mileage.. Apparently my car has been eating oil, and more or less, running dry. No oil light ever came on in my car, and from what I was told from the previous owner, the oil was just changed, so I was going to give it an oil change myself in a few weeks time.

I've been told the only thing I could do is get a new engine. I'm going to take it to another mechanic this week and see if he can verify these claims. Simply put, i'm pretty devastated. I put almost every dime I had into this car.

So beware, keep your oil topped off, and if you hear a rattling noise, pray it's something that "only" costs $1500.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Wasn't much of a mechanic if he didn't check your oil.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
yonatan11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JAB 67
Wasn't much of a mechanic if he didn't check your oil.
me and my brother our scratching our heads over that too.. after motor mounts were installed he noted that my dipstick was bent and would need replacing.. so he checked the dipstick but not the oil level?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear the news. Hope it turns out better then anticipated.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:20 PM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have you checked the oil level yourself? If it's good, it could be the supercharger has died. Not a cheap replacement, but a lot less than a new engine. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 PM
yonatan11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pdflint
Have you checked the oil level yourself? If it's good, it could be the supercharger has died. Not a cheap replacement, but a lot less than a new engine. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion.
i did.. took 4.5 quarts for it to show on the dipstick with regular idling in between. not looking good.. am scheduling an appointment with a more "reliable" mechanic tomorrow

Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is just about all the oil.
Sorry for your trouble.

Maybe it's just me but it seems I see more engines fried on this forum for lack of oil than I can believe. I mean checking your oil is a must on any high performance, high compression engine.

It's the lifeblood of your car. I see so many threads about what oil is best, what brand etc etc etc and then I see threads where the oil level didn't even register on the dipstick.

I don't get it. Don't mean to rag on you I know you have enough problems without listening to me. But it just so tragic and sad and it's something that doesn't have to happen.

I hope it works out for you in the end.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:03 PM
yonatan11
1st Gear
no worries.. all in good meaning im sure. it is a shame.. and honestly, a huge learning curve.. i should have been checking this stuff from day one.. you never know the true condition of a used car when you buy it, and you especially shouldn't rely on anyones word.. it's an expensive lesson.. and seeing as this was my first personal vehicle, which i saved up for 4 years to purchase, owning it for 2 months cost me 2$ per mile with regular long road trips (300-400 miles per weekend)

i held out for over a year because i didn't want to drive anything besides a european car. i've always owned european since my dad gave me his ratted and tatted 1980's audi 5000 turbo way back freshman year in highschool. it's just something i love. and i'm really saddened that i did this to this car. like i said, i take responsibility for it.. i should have been on it from day one, but i've learned my lesson and it won't happen again.. now i get to save up for another few year and hope another deal comes up.

cheers

Originally Posted by PatM
That is just about all the oil.
Sorry for your trouble.

Maybe it's just me but it seems I see more engines fried on this forum for lack of oil than I can believe. I mean checking your oil is a must on any high performance, high compression engine.

It's the lifeblood of your car. I see so many threads about what oil is best, what brand etc etc etc and then I see threads where the oil level didn't even register on the dipstick.

I don't get it. Don't mean to rag on you I know you have enough problems without listening to me. But it just so tragic and sad and it's something that doesn't have to happen.

I hope it works out for you in the end.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yonatan11
i should have been on it from day one, but i've learned my lesson and it won't happen again.. now i get to save up for another few year and hope another deal comes up.

cheers
I'm pulling for you and hope you find the perfect car. Believe me I have learned some expensive lessons myself. We all do.

Good Luck.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation! An expensive lesson but one I bet you'll never forget! Reading all these threads certainly has me checking my oil more regularly. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be in another MINI soon enough

Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
What is the running condition of the car now that you have refilled it with oil? Or is it still at the mechanics?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM
yonatan11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
What is the running condition of the car now that you have refilled it with oil? Or is it still at the mechanics?
currently running with a terrible knocking in the engine.. not getting my hopes up.. appointment for this week at another mechanic

Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
yonatan11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Sorry to hear about your situation! An expensive lesson but one I bet you'll never forget! Reading all these threads certainly has me checking my oil more regularly. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be in another MINI soon enough
Originally Posted by PatM
I'm pulling for you and hope you find the perfect car. Believe me I have learned some expensive lessons myself. We all do.

Good Luck.
thanks guys will keep you updated on current and future car situation

Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
yonatan11
1st Gear
just an update. thought some of you might be interested. got the car to a reliable mechanic that my family has used for quite some time. pull up and all you see is beautiful european cars, old and new. they race e36's that they've built up all around the country. cool bunch of guys. good news, the engine lives.. here's the damage report:

valve cover gasket replaced
timing chain tensioner replaced
suspected blown lifters (negative.. phew)
accessory belt tensioner replaced (rattling noise)
oil filter cap gasket replaced
= roughly $1000 w/ labor

just got a call yesterday that they found a huge leak in the oil cooler and needs a timing guiderail. = roughly $1100 to fix

other things needed that are yet to be done:

exhaust manifold gasket
exhaust flange gasket
exhaust manifold w/ catalytic converter
= 1597.66 w/ labor

seeing as i can get a supersprint/borla or another great exhaust for much cheaper than the shitty oem exhaust (1355 new), i'm going to go that route.

the oil cooler leak and guiderail are being fixed today/tomorrow. hopefully i won't get anymore surprise calls.

now...contemplating selling and getting an old e30 3 series or e28 5 series to work on.

cheers

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM
yonatan11
1st Gear
also... headers with that exhaust? hmmmm

Last edited by yonatan11; 11-11-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM
kris kross
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yonatan11
just an update. thought some of you might be interested. got the car to a reliable mechanic that my family has used for quite some time. pull up and all you see is beautiful european cars, old and new. they race e36's that they've built up all around the country. cool bunch of guys. good news, the engine lives.. here's the damage report:

valve cover gasket replaced
timing chain tensioner replaced
suspected blown lifters (negative.. phew)
accessory belt tensioner replaced (rattling noise)
oil filter cap gasket replaced
= roughly $1000 w/ labor

just got a call yesterday that they found a huge leak in the oil cooler and needs a timing guiderail. = roughly $1100 to fix

other things needed that are yet to be done:

exhaust manifold gasket
exhaust flange gasket
exhaust manifold w/ catalytic converter
= 1597.66 w/ labor

seeing as i can get a supersprint/borla or another great exhaust for much cheaper than the shitty oem exhaust (1355 new), i'm going to go that route.

the oil cooler leak and guiderail are being fixed today/tomorrow. hopefully i won't get anymore surprise calls.

now...contemplating selling and getting an old e30 3 series or e28 5 series to work on.

cheers
This exact thing happened to me, but I can't seem to find the reason why my oil went low...where exactly is the oil cooler? I may have to check it although I see no signs of oil leakage.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
yonatan11
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kris kross
This exact thing happened to me, but I can't seem to find the reason why my oil went low...where exactly is the oil cooler? I may have to check it although I see no signs of oil leakage.
oil cooler is under the radiator near the front of the car i believe

Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The stock oil cooler is behind the engine. It really isnt much of a cooler either, its a really small cube of cooling fins (goldish in color) and easily accessable once you remove the passanger side fender liner. It sits right below the oil filter housing.
Not surprising to have one leak if it is ever removed and the "O" ring type gaskets are not replaced with new ones. When changing the timing chain tensioner it is easyer to get to the large carier bolt holding the tensioner in if the cooler is removed.

If the car was actually out of oil for more than a couple minutes, it might be fine right now but, chances are the rod and main bearings got hot, which will lead to an early failure.

I hope everything turns out ok for you. My engine wasnt so lucky.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
yonatan11
1st Gear
Turns out the rod bearings were indeed bad. There were metal shards in the oil filter.. not a good sign. Replaced the rod bearings, and been frequently changing the oil every 500 miles to make sure its all clear of any remaining debris. Now I'm just looking for an exhaust manifold. Would like to not have to pay 1500$ for a complete oem exhaust system. Might check ebay.
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
The stock oil cooler is behind the engine. It really isnt much of a cooler either, its a really small cube of cooling fins (goldish in color) and easily accessable once you remove the passanger side fender liner. It sits right below the oil filter housing.
Not surprising to have one leak if it is ever removed and the "O" ring type gaskets are not replaced with new ones. When changing the timing chain tensioner it is easyer to get to the large carier bolt holding the tensioner in if the cooler is removed.

If the car was actually out of oil for more than a couple minutes, it might be fine right now but, chances are the rod and main bearings got hot, which will lead to an early failure.

I hope everything turns out ok for you. My engine wasnt so lucky.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Sorry to hear the conclusion. I'm glad your getting back on the road. Thanks for the update and good luck in your future motoring.