Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Old "Service Engine Soon" Light is On

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Old "Service Engine Soon" Light is On

When I start my car, it tells me that I should get it serviced within the next several thousand miles. Sometimes (read: every once in a while), when I start her up it will struggle and die, or idle very low and fluctuate a bit.

Today was one of those days, and now my "Service Engine Soon" light is on.

In the past month I have:
-- Changed the oil (Mobil 1)
-- Installed an ALTA intake
-- Installed a Craven 17% smaller S/C pulley
-- Changed the serpentine belt (with a slightly smaller one from ALTA)

While I was doing that, I noticed that my spark plug wires say 2001 on them, suggesting that they've never been changed. I plan on getting the MSD setup anyway.

I feel like that's gotta be what's going on here. Everything else about the car seems totally solid. It's gotta be the old spark plugs, wires, and dizzy, right?

I've also heard of a cheap (and easy fix) for the VGS that sounds worthwhile for evening out the revs. Would that also be something worth doing while I'm in there?

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Could be anything....
Have the code read with an obd2 code reader...
Some auto places will read it for free or give you a loaner reader...write the code down, post it, do a search...

Old 10-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
I think Advanced Auto Parts lends them out, right? I'll check.

Where is the place to plug in the reader?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Drivers side, by you knee...you will see the obd2 plug/port.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
the 'service engine soon' is usually related to the emission system. You are probably going to find the codes to be related to an Oxy' sensor.

Given the changes you just made, are you running a GOOD brand of premium fuel? Having boosted the blower pressure you need to ensure you have the proper (high) octane.

p.s. dizzy? yep, that's the problem. Change the cap, rotor, points and condenser . . .

Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Good to know, thanks, guys.

I do always run premium, but I'm not too selective about which gas station I hit. I guess I could be, it's not like I live in the middle of nowhere.

I'll check my cash flow for this month and see if I can buy the MSD setup without sacrificing elsewhere. And I'll check the code this week.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Msd is not really needed...will not make power, honest. I got a msd coil as cheaper than oem replacement due to corrosion on the terminals, and new plugs...the mini plugs are very short..can test yhem with an ohm meter, but they are so short...i doubt it is your issue.
Very likly it is emissions related...if the car has been running fine, very likely.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Baker555
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is an O2 sensor that's causing the code, aren't they all recalled anyway? I thought I heard that BMW/MINI will change them free of charge.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
I'm not really looking for more power with the MSD, just reliability.

I'll check out the code and call a dealer to find out about O2 sensor replacements.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Went to take my car to get the code checked and the light wasn't even on today. So that is neat.

My guess is now my old plugs/wires/dizzy are having trouble keeping up and they need to be replaced. Going to save for the MSD setup ($300 for the MSD distributor with Nology Hotwires and plugs from MiniMania) and see if that solves the problem. Till then I'll just deal with the light coming on from time to time and get it checked if it ever gets worse, as the car drives 100% normally even with it on.

Does that seem like a reasonable course of action? Hope so.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Spraypaint
Went to take my car to get the code checked and the light wasn't even on today. So that is neat.
In my experience that points more strongly to an OXY sensor. In my then 7 year old Miata the check engine light came on one day one the way to work. On the way home after work, no light.

This continued for a while and I took the car in (having read the owners manual I knew that this light reported emissions issues only) and they said the code was for a bad o2 sensor but they'd tested it (?) and it was fine so they cleared the codes and I was fine. Next morning the light was on.

I eventually noticed the light was on in the mornings - wet foggy mornings (I was living in the North Bay area of San Fran) and off in the evening when it was dry. I ignored the light.

I moved to VA and very occasionally the light came on again ... I ignored it as the next day the light was never on.

Four years ago I sold the car to a friend - {dangerous thing to do, I know!!!}

That 1995 Miata is pushing 200,000, the o2 sensor (or exhaust) has not been replaced . . . most serious engine work that's been needed was a new radiator.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Itsnotcute
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That light can lead you to many different problems, I would strongly suggest finding out the code, there are dozens of things that it could be.
I work at a dealer and I see a lot of people throw tons of money at parts that wont fix the root cause. Good luck

Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Baker555
If it is an O2 sensor that's causing the code, aren't they all recalled anyway? I thought I heard that BMW/MINI will change them free of charge.
The scope of the o2 warrenty extension...to 10 years/100,000 miles i think, was limited to just a few months of production...my car was part of the extension...as were most 2005's....

Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
I'll check into it when I can. It might get tricky of it's only on one day and not the next...

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 AM
minimejames
1st Gear
I know this is 10 days old, but most codes are stored and can be read even if the light is off. Just so you know.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
I didn't know that. That's good because the light hasn't been on in a while, but I would like to check it out anyway.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Stangace20
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, mine is on all the time, A friend of mine has one of those little computers you can plug in to get the code of exactly what's wrong and it turned out to be something w/ the gas cap not sealing or something.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My 06 Cooper S had that same issue last summer. The light would come on and off.
I took it to my independent BMW / MINI repairer who read the codes. The codes are stored and they found 9 instances of a fault code on an oxygen sensor. There is a technical Service Bulletin (TSB) about this and MINI will replace the oxygen sensor at no charge if it is what is causing the issue.
The independent shop did not clear the codes and sent me to the dealer with a copy of the TSB in my back pocket in case I was hassled. I dropped the car off at the dealer. I just told them about the light and did not mention anything about the TSB. They fixed it the same day at no cost and no hassle and they even washed the car.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 AM
minirooferS
4th Gear
My light came on last night too. I was reading up on another forum and one guy said if you drive in neutral for awhile it could cause a bug with the O2 sensor. Well just yesterday I was sitting in traffic for 20 minutes down a hill and had it in neutral the entire time. So if it is my O2 sensor, you guys are saying I can get a new one for free at the dealer? I'm out of warranty.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:24 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minirooferS
My light came on last night too. I was reading up on another forum and one guy said if you drive in neutral for awhile it could cause a bug with the O2 sensor. Well just yesterday I was sitting in traffic for 20 minutes down a hill and had it in neutral the entire time. So if it is my O2 sensor, you guys are saying I can get a new one for free at the dealer? I'm out of warranty.
IF YOUR CAR IS COVVERED BY THE WARRANTY EXTENSION, YES...
if you bring to the dealer, and you are not covered, or it is something else, you will be charged...
Call mini usa with your vin# and check to see if your car is one of the ones with the o2 sensor warrenty extension....
imo get the code read....could be 1000's or different codes...only a few are related to the o2 sensor failing...

Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
I have been waiting for the light to come on again since I started this thread so I could investigate the cause. But it hasn't been, and that's fine by me.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM
hattenzoom
1st Gear
Hi Guy's

My light just came on. I had the code read and it said undertheshold bank 1. So that is the oxygen sensor infront of the cat correct? If so what should I look for? and should I not be driving the car?

Thanks
Hattenzoom

Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Ranae
Neutral
Hi Guy's,
Please help...I feel as if I'm at the mercy of my dealer. I have a 2003 with 63,000 miles.My CIL came on...dealer says this is the 02 oxygen sensor. The want to charge $700 (this includes an oil change). Does anyone have a copy of the TSB letter sent about the 02 sensor problem? Thank you!! I've learned so much from all of your posts