Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start on 2011? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start on 2011? Anyone?

My '11 R56 just started with the cold start thing about 10 days ago. I looked through the cold start poll thread but didn't see any '11s listed. Am I the lucky first? I have an appointment with service for Saturday, I'm dropping Mozart off and getting a loaner.

Any hints or tips to get them to look at specific issues? The first few times it did this, it started on the 2nd or maybe 3rd try. This morning it took half a dozen or more tries, which then made us late for the bus so I ended up driving my daughter to school (talk about getting me in a foul mood to start the day). I was so unsure of the R56 that I ended up driving my husband's Countryman to school.

Annette

Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Video of sound? How is the oil level?

Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I'll get a video this afternoon. The car only has 4722 miles on the odometer. I haven't checked the oil, so will check that, too.

Annette

Last edited by BoCRon; 11-03-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
By your description, your car isn't starting - it's not making a noise after starting - sounds like the HPFP problem. It has nothing to do with your oil level.

This "cold start" issue has gotten out of hand, people are lumping every thing that happens to their car under this heading, when in reality there are several completely different "issues" going on here, and this is a good example.

A recommendation - instead of titling your post "cold start on 2011?", why don't you post what's actually happening? As in it takes 3 or 4 tries to get my car to start.....

Also, this is a new car in factory warranty, why wouldn't your first move be to call the dealer and get it into them? It's very interesting to me how the first thing people want to do is find out if someone else has had their same problem - misery loves company?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
By your description, your car isn't starting - it's not making a noise after starting - sounds like the HPFP problem. It has nothing to do with your oil level.
Agree with this assessment.

This "cold start" issue has gotten out of hand, people are lumping every thing that happens to their car under this heading, when in reality there are several completely different "issues" going on here, and this is a good example.
You are so right. Probably a symptom of the fact that the N14 timing chain "death rattle" issue seems to be nearly ubiquitous in MINIs so equipped, a PITA, and so often such a terminal illness if not properly mitigated. As a result, those running the N18 (like me) tend to become irrational hypochondriacs ready to declare that the sky is falling at any out-of-the-ordinary noise or vibration. The turbo wastegate chatter has already put a few unnecessary scares into the R58 crowd. I confess that a tiny little corner of my brain way down deep reserves a bit of dread for the first verifiable, bona-fide "death rattle" case in an N18. Hope it never happens.

I forgive Annette if she's guilty of a little over-reaction.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

A recommendation - instead of titling your post "cold start on 2011?", why don't you post what's actually happening? As in it takes 3 or 4 tries to get my car to start.....

Also, this is a new car in factory warranty, why wouldn't your first move be to call the dealer and get it into them? It's very interesting to me how the first thing people want to do is find out if someone else has had their same problem - misery loves company?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear, Annette...

I hope MINI does right by you and quickly. Little Red just went over 10k and so far so good except my front tires are almost slicks!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Aether
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Any hints or tips to get them to look at specific issues? The first few times it did this, it started on the 2nd or maybe 3rd try. This morning it took half a dozen or more tries, which then made us late for the bus so I ended up driving my daughter to school (talk about getting me in a foul mood to start the day). I was so unsure of the R56 that I ended up driving my husband's Countryman to school.

Annette
Bad tank of gas? Have all these problems occurred since your last fill up?

-A

Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear

Well, MINIdave, sorry if you don't like my posting format, next time I'll PM you and ask how to title a thread when my car won't start when it's COLD. This issue just started last week when the temps here in GA dipped below 35 for the first time since I've owned the car. Oh, and like I stated in my OP, I did contact service as you suggested and have an appointment on Saturday.

As to me asking here about the issue, I am not new to this rodeo. I am now in my 7th year of owning MINIs and have learned that going to the service folks at the dealership is more productive if I come armed with information about what may be the issue. If I already have an idea about what it MAY be and let them know that I've done some looking into it, I find that they are less likely to blow it off, especially since I am of the female persuasion. I hate to say it, but in my experience the service dept will tend to try to avoid an expensive repair for as long as possible and I think they rely on the fact that most people don't look into the issue themselves. When I show up with a printout of TSB bulletins, or a copy of a letter from MINI that something I'm experiencing may be already out there then I avoid a lot of run around.

As to the bad gas thing, that did occur to me, but it started happening toward the middle of the last tank and I have filled up again since from a different station. I guess it could be but I guess I won't know until I refill yet again. I did check the oil, all is fine which is what I would expect on a car that low on mileage.

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning to drop it off at the dealership. Originally they couldn't fit me in until sometime next week which is why I was trying to gather info here to see if there was anything I should do in the meantime to avoid damage or being stranded. I have a new service guy who I really like so I'm not going in armed for a battle by any means, I just like to be able to be thorough and give any info that may get me back in MY MINI.

Believe me, I don't want to be a hypochondriac about my MINI, but this one is pretty young(4722 miles) and this is my 3rd trip to the dealership service dept for an issue. My R53 only ever went to the dealership once(other than regular maintenance) so understandably I'm a bit unsettled by this turn of events on Mozart.

Annette

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Well, MINIdave, sorry if you don't like my posting format, next time I'll PM you and ask how to title a thread when my car won't start when it's COLD. This issue just started last week when the temps here in GA dipped below 35 for the first time since I've owned the car. Oh, and like I stated in my OP, I did contact service as you suggested and have an appointment on Saturday.

As to me asking here about the issue, I am not new to this rodeo. I am now in my 7th year of owning MINIs and have learned that going to the service folks at the dealership is more productive if I come armed with information about what may be the issue. If I already have an idea about what it MAY be and let them know that I've done some looking into it, I find that they are less likely to blow it off, especially since I am of the female persuasion. I hate to say it, but in my experience the service dept will tend to try to avoid an expensive repair for as long as possible and I think they rely on the fact that most people don't look into the issue themselves. When I show up with a printout of TSB bulletins, or a copy of a letter from MINI that something I'm experiencing may be already out there then I avoid a lot of run around.

As to the bad gas thing, that did occur to me, but it started happening toward the middle of the last tank and I have filled up again since from a different station. I guess it could be but I guess I won't know until I refill yet again. I did check the oil, all is fine which is what I would expect on a car that low on mileage.

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning to drop it off at the dealership. Originally they couldn't fit me in until sometime next week which is why I was trying to gather info here to see if there was anything I should do in the meantime to avoid damage or being stranded. I have a new service guy who I really like so I'm not going in armed for a battle by any means, I just like to be able to be thorough and give any info that may get me back in MY MINI.

Believe me, I don't want to be a hypochondriac about my MINI, but this one is pretty young(4722 miles) and this is my 3rd trip to the dealership service dept for an issue. My R53 only ever went to the dealership once(other than regular maintenance) so understandably I'm a bit unsettled by this turn of events on Mozart.

Annette
-

Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This is why I don't post here anymore......

I make a suggestion that the OP post what's actually happening with the car so that they can get accurate feedback, and I get taken to the woodshed for it.

There have been so many threads started here with people convinced that they have the "dreaded cold start problem" when it doesn't even apply to their car, then it leads others to think they have the same problem, when chances are good they don't.....

I only asked that rather than panic about something totally unrelated (low oil level???) that they first call the dealer and get their input, then maybe post here......

Instead they post here (my car made a farting sound this morning, could it be the dreaded cold start problem??????? my car had a flat tire this morning, could that be the dreaded cold start problem???? etc, etc, etc) and then don't understand why they get inaccurate info.......

Good luck folks, I'm going back to Motoring Alliance.......

Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
My '11 R56 just started with the cold start thing about 10 days ago. I looked through the cold start poll thread but didn't see any '11s listed. Am I the lucky first? I have an appointment with service for Saturday, I'm dropping Mozart off and getting a loaner.

Annette
I believe the bolded statement is what Dave is referring to. You started out with a completely inaccurate statement,and a lack of real description to your actual problem. You obviously did not read any of the thread you referred to in any detail regarding the actual problem that was discussed in it (timing chain rattle).

Dave's reaction was not an overreaction at all. The point is--whether you meant to or not, you contributed to the general paranoia about this issue and brought a whole new set of owners ('11s) into it.

No one is trying to diminish your frustration at your current problem. However, please think before you post. Really, it would help the overall quality of contributions to this forum if people would take the time to do a little research first, and more importantly describe their stock problems/issues in detail before leaping into generalities and pre-assumptions.

I feel the same way--which is part of the reason why I don't post a lot here either anymore.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
You guys are way off base here. I think Annette's response in her second email was excellent and her explanation made a lot of sense to me. You should go to the dealer with some facts or at least suspicions as to what the problem may be. While I'm not a woman, I can see where it might be more important for a woman to do this as Annette says. I thought this was a forum where people help one another, not where one gets beaten up for asking for help and opinions. Mini is a car, not a religion...chill out!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:26 AM
omaslaser
1st Gear
Annette, what is the verdict on your cold start issue? My '11 goes in tomorrow for what sounds like the same issue. I have a video of the start up yesterday in case I am questioned when I bring her in.

I thought the car would not start, but when it finally did, it bucked and sputtered for a good 50 feet before the engine "caught."

I am not buying the case of "bad gas" as a possibility. No car should do this, and I buy Chevron from the same pump everytime.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
reducati
3rd Gear
mine , an 11 s with 10k just did this ( hard starting...taking several attempts to start)...its really not even winter yet..temps high 20s this a.m...and i too am going to the dealer, but also like the op want to at least know if anyone else had the same issues, and what turned out to be the problem.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM
jronnblom
Neutral
Originally Posted by reducati
mine , an 11 s with 10k just did this ( hard starting...taking several attempts to start)...its really not even winter yet..temps high 20s this a.m...and i too am going to the dealer, but also like the op want to at least know if anyone else had the same issues, and what turned out to be the problem.
Hi, as MiniDave said above it sounds like the HPFP, thats the High Performanc Fuel Pump or something like that

Found this on youtube:

Hmm, this with the other problems that the N14 engine has been having makes me think twice about buying a new (and old) R55/R56.

-J

Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM
reducati
3rd Gear
dropped it off, and they will let it sit overnite, outside , to see if the problem can be replicated...ill let you all know what the results are tomorrow...i hope!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
reducati
3rd Gear
day 2...waiting........

Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM
genkigen
1st Gear
As soon as the weather god cold my car started to have some rough rpms with half filled engine light coming on
one day i got yellow engine light came out brought it to dealer and they said 3 and 4 cylinder misfired.
Changed the spark plugs and still got half filled engine light coming on but no yellow engine light.
They said its HPFP issue :( bringing my baby back to dealer next week before thanksgiving.

So im guessing my car only have problem when engine is really cold ? becuase if i leave my car at my workplace for about 5 hours i dont have problem
but when its in my garage overnight my rpm goes crazy

Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
reducati
3rd Gear
well, its been diagnoised with a coolant temp sensor issues...they are going to keep her overnite to make sure the cold a.m. start is normal...cant wait...been driving a clubman non turbo auto...cant wait to get into my mcs 6 speed!!!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 PM
omaslaser
1st Gear
Mine was the coolant temp thermostat. They replaced it and all is back to normal.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear

A slap in the face would be less blunt....

you may think you're being helpful but it can come across ride. This type of thing happens in all online forums.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 AM
reducati
3rd Gear
my black beauty is running like a scald dog :-)

Old 11-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterClean
A slap in the face would be less blunt....

you may think you're being helpful but it can come across rude. This type of thing happens in all online forums.
...to the point that the OP hasn't posted anywhere on NAM since being "slapped" in here.

Annette dear, if you're still listening I would love to hear if you've been able to resolve your issue.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Helltime
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
My dad is having the same issue with his '11MCS, starts then dies, starts then dies, when it does start up it runs rough until you clear it out. Has been to the dealer a few times, has had some evap piece replaced and HPFP, still does it when its cold out and has been sitting over night.

Quick Reply: Cold start on 2011? Anyone?