Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

It seems to always be something new :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 PM
fifty9singlecab
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to always be something new :(

Well once again my 02 MCS is down. I got a P0108 code along with a P0303 code and it said misfire in cyl 3 so I pulled that NGK plug out and the insulation was cracked on the firing side under the 4 prongs so I replaced all 4 plugs with new NGK iridum? plugs and I also replaced the pressure switch in front of the supercharger and now the car misses badly at idle and is in limp mode pretty much as soon as I start the car. I put the old plugs back in with a new one replacing the cracked one and it's no better. I have a brand new MSD ignition and brand new MSD 8.5 wires. It still shows the same codes after clearing the engine light. It seems like this car hates me. It's been the worst car I have ever owned in my life for dependability and I've drove them all. I'm starting to think Corvair made it. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. What's next???

Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This may be too obvious but did you make sure that the wires are in the correct order?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Likely the misfire is causing the cracked plug....
I think you need to dig deeper...
If it is cracking the insulation, that is a prettt violent misfire/detonation....

Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 AM
TTCummins
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:ditto: you may need to use a bore scope to ensure nothing became dislodged from the plug and rattled around in the cylinder before exiting.

Have you compression tested that cylinder to see if it is making good compression?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
fifty9singlecab
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I did a compression check and 3 cylinders are 165 and #3 is 30. I don't know whats going on but I will after I dig deeper.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
TTCummins
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch, well a buddy of mine had that happen to him on a honda. the injector actually started to die which leaned out the cylinder really bad and it burned a hole through the crown of the piston. Post back with what you find, and if you do have to end up really tearing into it, be sure to have the injectors tested.