Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Should the power steering pump fan always be turning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Should the power steering pump fan always be turning?

In both of our MINIs (2006 'S' Cabrios), fuse #40 is blowing occasionally. The main circuit for this fuse is the Park Distance Controller (backup sensor), but I seem to remember that it also protects the fan for the power steering pump. Supposedly, if the fan bearings get dirty/gritty, it can cause the fuse to blow.

In order to troubleshoot if the fan is working properly, I was wondering if anyone here knew exactly *when* the fan is supposed to be turning in the first place? Should it be turning whenever the car is running?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
If the back up sensor stops working, it's usually the signal that the fan is not free spinning and the fuse is blown.

To test, just turn the A/C on. About 30 seconds later both the Aux fan ( stage1) and the PS Pump cooling fan should come on. You could also try free spinning the fan each oil change to ensure it's not gummed up.

It will normally come on when the pump is hot.

The fan assembly is attached with just two bolts, and a wire connector. If you have auto ramps it's a perfect DIY. I was able to free up one using blasts of WD40 and some air. The bearings for the fan were not perfect but it worked for a while before buying a new one. From the dealer they are about $170.00 ea. I think www.bavauto.com sells them for less.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Thanks! Both cars are due for oil changes, so I'll check the fans when I change the oil. Thanks too for the link to the fan replacements.

I know that not all cars have the backup sensor, so I'm wondering if the combination of the backup sensor and the power steering fan on the same circuit might not be too much for a 5A fuse, especially once the bearings start to get a little "gummy".

Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Update:

Removed my fan when I was changing my oil - it was locked up tight as a drum. I couldn't get the fan off the motor to really clean it, but I blasted some WD-40 in there and got it to turn, although it's still gritty. Plugged it back in, turned on the car and the A/C, and got nothing. Looks like at least one new fan is in my future. Waiting on my wife to get home so I can change her oil and check the fan in her car. Fortunately, Pelican Parts has the fans for $114 each, and like you said, it's an easy DIY, so this isn't a catastrophe or anything.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
To be honest, I replaced my fan with an OEM one and I still don't see it turning.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
To be honest, I replaced my fan with an OEM one and I still don't see it turning.
On a 2005 (depending on production date) you should have a fuse in the car, drivers side by the other fuses...check it..if i remember right, it is the 4the spot down, rear row...
It actually does not run very much...just low airflow, hot situations...fan on hi if i recall correctly, and "when called for"...

Old 11-08-2011, 05:22 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Another update - checked the fan in my wife's car and sure enough, it was locked up tight as a drum, too. Ordered two new fans from Pelican Parts ($228 total), and then should be here Friday.

Needless to say, I think the OEM fan setup is a pretty poor design. I'm just glad we have the backup sensors on our cars - if not for the fact that they quit working, I'd have had no clue that there was anything wrong with the fan on either car.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 269 Likes on 199 Posts
I wired mine hot with the ignition, so far still works fine (3 mos.) the only reason I did it this way is from what I was seeing with mine (4th one so far) is that the failures came about simply from the fans getting gummed up with road dirt and grime from when the fan wasn't running, so I decided to see if it would last longer by running all the time. (basiclly want to see if the motion of the fan will keep the grime from building up.)

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is it working for you with the fan being always-on? That sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I wired mine hot with the ignition, so far still works fine (3 mos.) the only reason I did it this way is from what I was seeing with mine (4th one so far) is that the failures came about simply from the fans getting gummed up with road dirt and grime from when the fan wasn't running, so I decided to see if it would last longer by running all the time. (basiclly want to see if the motion of the fan will keep the grime from building up.)
Any updates?