Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New Key Charging Error

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011 | 02:14 PM
mini_muddeatr
|
3rd Gear
New Key Charging Error

Well, I had to take my JCW to the dealers today for it's first minor issue. I have been getting an error when I insert my key to start the car. I don't think anyone at the dealers has seen this error because after I told them what it does, my response is "Huh??"

Anybody care to take a stab at the cause of this error? I attached a photo I took to give the service guy at the dealers. I can sat that the key is NOT the problem because my spare reacts the same way.

New Key Charging Error-photo.jpg

Old 11-08-2011 | 04:45 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
well a couple of things to note for you.

1. If you have Comfort Access then the keys DO NOT charge in the slot they have replaceable batteries and this my just be the cars way of saying that you need to replace the batteries.

2. If you do not have Comfort Access then the Keys do charge in the slot and it may mean that the batteries in the keys are bad or not charged. it could also mean that the charging circuit in the car is bad and not charging the keys properly.

and FYI it would be a good idea to add to your signature what options/mods you have on your car. See my signature as an example that way we can see what options you already have so that we can narrow down our explanations.

Old 11-08-2011 | 03:56 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
I haven't witnessed that exact message but mine did post a message recently regarding the FOB battery charge. I have the comfort access and had to replace the batt in the FOB to get rid of the message. Dealer said it would charge if I inserted it into the car. But, as previously stated, this did not work.

Old 11-08-2011 | 04:45 PM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Non Comfort Access vehicles will display the message in the picture above. Looks like a problem with the charging portion of the ignition slot on the vehicle side. I'm sure your dealer will diagnose the problem. Comfort Access vehicles will display a similar message, but instead of asking to insert the fob into the key slot, it will say replace the battery in the key fob.

Comfort Access vehicles have different key fobs than non comfort access. Comfort Access vehicle fobs have a removable battery cover on the back where non Comfort Access do not. Non Comfort Access fobs also have two metal charging tabs on the back of the fob. Comfort Access fobs do not. You cannot replace a battery in a non Comfort Access fob. The fob is sealed.

Comfort Access key fobs do not have the capability to charge and do not charge in the slot, that's whey they have replaceable batteries. This is because the fob is hardly ever in the ignition slot. It's not necessary. Dealers are misinforming MINI owner's saying that it will charge in the slot when it does not.

Old 12-28-2011 | 01:19 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
wheres is the best place to get a replacement battery for the comfort access in a 2011 MC? my dad lost the back cover and the battery and the dealer said it was 20 bucks for a new one BS!

Old 12-29-2011 | 06:12 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
wheres is the best place to get a replacement battery for the comfort access in a 2011 MC? my dad lost the back cover and the battery and the dealer said it was 20 bucks for a new one BS!
The battery is a common CR 2032 type which you can get just about anywhere for ~$3.00........ Wal Greens, Radio Shack etc.
I don't know where you could get a back cover other than the dealer?

Old 12-29-2011 | 06:39 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
I buy them in a 3 pack from WalMart. The MINI and my Nissan Altima fobs use the same one (made my the same company, I suspect the same chip set) so it is good to have them around.

Old 12-29-2011 | 09:15 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Mine has done that a couple of times. I remove and reinsert the key and it goes away.

Old 12-29-2011 | 11:37 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
great i got the batteries (2 for 6$) waay better than the stealerships price. now i just need to figure out a way to secure it in place... to the duct tape!