Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

EML light and "limp mode" with no other indications

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
EML light with no other indications

My wife's 2006 'S' has recently begun acting up. About once a week, she'll get the EML light on the dash and experience a loss of power. Shutting the car off and then re-starting it seems to temporarily "fix" the problem.

I've found numerous threads here on NAM that point to a vacuum leak, bad engine wiring harness, or a bad/loose throttle position sensor. I haven't had a chance to check the OBD codes yet, but I'll update the thread once I do.

In all the other threads I've found, there were always other warning lights that came on at the same time (usually DSC, SES, or both). Does the fact that she's only getting the EML light help narrow things down any?

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 12-06-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Without the code any guess would be WAG...
Drive by a auto store or borrow a obd2, and check for codes.....hopefully it will be a simple fix.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, here's an update. I bought an OBD2 reader, and the car isn't throwing any codes. The reader also monitors stuff like engine speed, manifold pressure, and throttle position. Comparing her car to mine (they're both 2006 'S' cabrios), the numbers are the virtually identical, so I don't think she's got a major throttle position sensor issue or a significant vacuum leak.

Talking to my wife a little more, I don't think the car is actually entering "limp mode", since she says the engine doesn't feel like it's stumbling or dying. She just thinks that the car isn't quite as responsive as it used to be. I drove it tonight and it feels fine to me, so if there's anything different, it's not a major change.

One other thing - I just recently changed her serpentine belt, and even though I ordered a shorter belt to go with her 15% pulley, I'm not seeing even part of the last hole on the tensioner strap. All that's visible of the strap is the last half-inch or so before the end of the strap. I didn't see any signs of belt slippage or glazing, but if the tensioner pulley is almost at the end of its travel, it might not be putting as much tension on the belt as it should.

So other than the possibility of belt slippage, I'm kind of at a loss. Since she's getting an occasional EML light and no other warning lights, I guess I really need to find out exactly what system it is that the EML light is monitoring. Like I said before, in all the other threads I've found discussing the EML light, people are getting it in conjunction with other warning lights and/or their car is going into limp mode.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Limp mode is VERY noticable...
The one time i got it (right after a seafoam cleaning) the car was running....and could go, not not very fast...kinda like 50% power...
just a reset, cleared the code it thew from the cleaning, restarted, and has been fine.
If it went to limp mode, i am fairly certain you would have a code stored...the limp mode indicates the computer saw somting so far out of bounds, it decided it is ok to run, but at a greatly refuced power...kinda to let you get to tge side of the road or exit...not really much more.