Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 CVT hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
m_bisco
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CVT hesitation

Hey guy

Its the 1st winter that i own this cvt and i'm starting to notice something i don't like.

In the cold mornings if i dont let the car warm up for a while when i put the car in drive theres kind of a clunk feeling and hesitation before it starts to move....
There isnt always the "clunk" but there is usually always that hesitation. I cant put the car in drive and take off quickly, ive got to wait a few secs and then take off.

Also i find the car a little jerky when it is in low gears? I dont know if this is normal or not?

Any help / info would be great

Thanks
Marco

Last edited by m_bisco; 12-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 AM
evilness
2nd Gear
The CVT mini's are horrible from 2002-2006. It's pretty much a ticking time bomb. The downside to this, when they fail, you need to buy an entirely new CVT tranny amd they cost about 8k - 9k installed.

I really hope this isn't what is happening with your tranny but it sure does sound like it. The only thing I can suggest, you should get the tranny oil changed ASAP and see if this helps.

Best of luck.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
m_bisco
2nd Gear
FML.... stupid cvt....

I'll look into the tranny oil change and hopefully that'll make a difference.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Tahoe_Ron
1st Gear
This sounds pretty normal. When I first drove the CVT, I noticed the jerkiness at low speeds, but I don't think about in now. The CVT does not have a torque converter, so what you feel is the clutch engaging and disengaging. I rented a Japanese car with a CVT transmission and didn't notice this clutch action, so some CVT's are smoother than others.

I would second the recommendation to change the CVT fluid. Many of the failed CVT's never had the fluid changed.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 AM
rpagington
Neutral
My 2005 cooper with a cvt has pretty much acted like that from day one, I have just learned to put up with it and enjoy the car. I would check your upper motor mount and see if it is leaking. Mine was getting a lot worse and I just replaced that mount, yes they go bad often, and it cured a lot of the jerking.

Ralph
2005 cooper
2008 clubman

Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 AM
jpitchford
2nd Gear
My freshly rebuilt CVT is the same way and has been from day one. I would still suggest the fluid change like everyone else has said but this is normal operation. In the morning I get in back out of the garage let her warm up for 30sec to 1min and head to work. Giving the fluid time to get to all the metal parts in the trans is a VERY good idea. If you don't have a clue whats in there this should help.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
m_bisco
2nd Gear
Cool! Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it!!

I'll definitely get the tranny oil changed.

Happy holidays

Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=m_bisco;3420502]Hey guy

Its the 1st winter that i own this cvt and i'm starting to notice something i don't like.

In the cold mornings if i dont let the car warm up for a while when i put the car in drive theres kind of a clunk feeling and hesitation before it starts to move....
There isnt always the "clunk" but there is usually always that hesitation. I cant put the car in drive and take off quickly, ive got to wait a few secs and then take off.

Also i find the car a little jerky when it is in low gears? I dont know if this is normal or not?

Any help / info would be great

Thanks
Marco[/QUOT

Second winter for my 2005 CVT. First year, after a few months of ownership, I noticed the same symptoms, that you've described.
Got new plugs, points etc. and it drives as smooth as butter.
If after a fluid change you feel no difference, it could be a misfire.

The code didn't show itself for quite a while, after I'd noticed the hesitation.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:05 AM
jpitchford
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
Second winter for my 2005 CVT. First year, after a few months of ownership, I noticed the same symptoms, that you've described.
Got new plugs, points etc. and it drives as smooth as butter.
If after a fluid change you feel no difference, it could be a misfire.

The code didn't show itself for quite a while, after I'd noticed the hesitation.
Just FYI our cars don't have points. In fact they don't have a distributor for the points to go in.

A tune up would consist of plugs, wires, air filter, cabin air filter, and a fuel filter.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpitchford
Just FYI our cars don't have points. In fact they don't have a distributor for the points to go in.

A tune up would consist of plugs, wires, air filter, cabin air filter, and a
fuel filter.
points & plugs,,,big blunder and thank you for pointing it out.
That comes from years of saying points & plugs, when referring to new spark plugs. My intention was only to say that it (the procedure of putting new spark plugs etc. in) made a huge improvement in the feel of the ride and that the Jerking-hesitation, stopped. No wonder my mechanic is my mechanic.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This is the second winter for me to have my 2005 R50 with CVT. I too have noticed the same delay in my transmission for a while now. Like others, I have just learned to live with it.

I just had my first dealer service this week since I purchased the car. So 15,000 miles and I was ready for my Inspection 1 service interval.

This service includes a fluid drain/refill for the CVT and I feel that the transmission is responding better, but it is not completely without lag. I am no mechanic, but having a MINI has gotten me to be more interested in the nuts & bolts. If you are wanting to understand the CVT a little better I found some videos on youtube that showed cut away views of how a CVT operates. Now, they were not MINI specific vids, but they showed how the tech works.

Like others, I suggest the fluid change.

I have 98,700 miles on my CVT and it is still performing as my daily driver.

Good luck.