Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suddenly VERY loud power steering motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Storer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, I've gotten used to the PS motor being loud over the past year. But suddenly this weekend, it got exceptionally loud. Much much louder than before. And when I turn off the car, the motor is still extremely loud while it is "winding down" for lack of a better term.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, have you had it diagnosed? I'm assuming this will be the umpteenth trip to the dealer for yet anothe problem.

Not to mention a new dash rattle and the driver's seat squeeks uncontrolably. YAY!

Old 02-24-2004, 07:43 AM
SCoop
6th Gear
It's never happened to me, but I've heard other cars PS fans getting loud when the car's turned off. I've even heard of the fan starting up a minute or two AFTER the car was shut off. Some people on the Vegas trip suggested to check your oil level when this happens as it could be indicative of low oil.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:11 AM
johna15
1st Gear
Yeah - just had that same problem. Took it to the dealer and discovered that the power steering fluid was completely gone - it had leaked out through a connection near the wheel and filled the CV boot with brake fluid. All was fixed by the dealer in a couple of days. They replaced the boot, line, and missing fluid (which I am told is a VERY expensive variant). the only thing I noticed besides the whine was slightly heavier steering.

You can check the fluid level easily.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Storer
5th Gear
Thanks guys, I'll have to check the PS fluid tonight... another day in the life of a MINI owner. :evil:

Old 02-24-2004, 01:03 PM
ecl3x
3rd Gear
mine is not loud per se but it makes a little "thug" off center when engine is cold

Old 02-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Storer
5th Gear
Went to the dealer. Turned out to be a bad PS pump. They're replacing it next week...

Old 03-02-2004, 02:01 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I'm with MINI USA. If you haven't already been to your dealership or spoken to your service advisor about this problem, you really should. We'd be happy to contact your dealer for you if you'd like. Just give us a call at 866 ASK.MINI and mention Reference # 200406200550 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Storer
5th Gear
MD, thank you. I have an appointment to bring my car in tomorrow to have the pump replaced. I was told that no additional damage would occur if I drove it for the week since it started happening. Hope that's true. Thanks again

Old 03-03-2004, 06:39 AM
gocart29
2nd Gear
>>I'm with MINI USA. If you haven't already been to your dealership or spoken to your service advisor about this problem, you really should. We'd be happy to contact your dealer for you if you'd like. Just give us a call at 866 ASK.MINI and mention Reference # 200406200550 so that we can help you more efficiently.

MD,

Is this a general problem or one that has generated a recall of any kind? I would assume not, but, when you gave Storer the ref.#, I thought I better ask. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Storer
5th Gear
I actually called MD when the problem occurred to see if there was a recall associated with this problem. No dice. Not more my MINI at least, as they looked up my VIN

Old 03-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Jonauto
2nd Gear
has anyone tried just removing power stearing all togother and putting a different engine pully on?

Old 09-03-2004, 05:21 AM
DanTheMan
2nd Gear
(Not So) Power Steering

Originally Posted by johna15
Yeah - just had that same problem. Took it to the dealer and discovered that the power steering fluid was completely gone - it had leaked out through a connection near the wheel and filled the CV boot with brake fluid. All was fixed by the dealer in a couple of days. They replaced the boot, line, and missing fluid (which I am told is a VERY expensive variant). the only thing I noticed besides the whine was slightly heavier steering.

You can check the fluid level easily.
OK. My Power Steering packed up last night. It doesn't seem to work at all, there is a loud whining at low speeds when turning, and a constant rattle. I'm figuring that maybe the fluid has drained on mine too and it'll be a week before my dealer say they have a service slot. :-(.

Where do you check the PS fuild levels? There is nothing in the manual about it. Also I don't see anything about the spec of fluid to put in there if is has leaked out. Does anyone know what the standard spec is for the fluid in the PS system?

Old 09-03-2004, 05:40 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The power steering reservoir is to the right of the coolant tank, behind the engine, when viewed from standing in front of the car. The reservoir has a black, star-shaped cap. As for fluid type, it's most likely standard hydraulic power steering fluid. If your reservoir is near empty, I'd take the car to the dealer and have them check where the fluid went. If it disappears with no visible signs under the car, then in many cases it's leaked into one or both of the steering rack boots. This is a problem not limited just to MINIs.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:21 AM
DanTheMan
2nd Gear
Thanks for the quick reply Greatbear. I took a look under the hood and this looks like the reservoir from your comments.

</SPAN>

And I opened up the cap and sure enough it is bone dry.

Looks like a trip to Autozone to tie me over until the dealer can get to it at the end of next week. There have been no drips underneath, so I guess the fluid has drained to the rack boot cover.

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:16 PM
DanTheMan
2nd Gear
Only place I could find the right fluid was a BMW dealer. Filled it up (took about a 1/2 can) and all works fine. Should tie me over until dealer replaces the steering rack next week.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's sort of strange that the MINI owner's manual overlooks the power steering fluid reservoir in the owner checks. It's not difficult, does not require tools, etc. Simply unscrew the cap and read the dipstick inside as well as look into the reservoir itself.

After I had posted this I checked it out on my car, and indeed the fluid recommendation was given on the cap, plus the fluid has a bit different smell and lighter consistency than standard universal power steering fluid. Good that you got the required fluid and put it in during your wait for service. You'd be saving the pump and related items from damage.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:20 AM
DanTheMan
2nd Gear
It used a quart of power steering fluid over the week to hold me over. They replaced the entire rack in the end, and they needed it for a whole day to do it. I hope it doesn’t go every 9,000 miles……