Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mechanic ruined my engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Lawyered up already

Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Posting comments about them being dishonest, that they shouldn't be working on vehicles, and encouraging others to engage in harassment goes beyond a simple recitation of facts. We also have only one side of the story, so we don't really know that this is a simple recitation of facts.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Posting comments about them being dishonest, that they shouldn't be working on vehicles, and encouraging others to engage in harassment goes beyond a simple recitation of facts. We also have only one side of the story, so we don't really know that this is a simple recitation of facts.
^^ This....

It simply isn't a good idea especially if you are trying to get resolution. It was only a warning to the OP to keep it civil for now.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spoke to a lawyer today regarding the case. He said he wont touch the case because there are no injuries involved and i wanted to keep it in small claims court. I guess not enough money for him... hahah

but he did give me some free advice and sat down with me to go over the information at hand. He said based on the information that was provided to him it looks like a slam dunk case(but who knows. I dont believe in sure things. hope for the best, expect the worst). He gave me a questionare to give to the mini dealer and the independent shop to fill out. The information on the document either would clear me of any wrong doing or would convict me of it. It is all based on how the independent shop and the mini dealer answers the questions. I had both the dealer and the independent shop owner fill out and sign the document. since it is signed it is legal testimony from them and includes their contact numbers for the judge to call and verify. I would take that to court and its testimony from the 2 shops stating the facts. Based on what was answered I am 100% cleared from any wrong doing.

I also showed him this thread on his computer and asked him if this would hurt my case. He said this can in no way hurt my case. He said justice in most cases is black and white and writing on a forum your feeling about your experience with a particular shop is in no way illegal. He also said to look at yelp. If it is so bad and would hurt people then how would yelp be able to stay open. and why would so many people log on to read it before going to a particular shop? Its to share your opinions regarding the restaurant, mechanic shop, toy store etc experience. He said forums and sites like yelp are a public service site and whether people choose to believe one side or not is all up to the person. But this is america and we have the right to free speech. He also said he cant think of any company without customer service surveys so dont worry.

but he did also say... DONT GIVE YOUR GAME PLAN AWAY! If you are giving your gameplan away then the shop can read the forum and then come up with creative answers to a rebuttle on the subject. omg.. I have been giving my game plan away

He said the judge will not take any comments on your experience from a forum as testimony so it wont hurt me.Content on forums cannot be counted as factual so it is irelevent.

So with that said.
I went to the mini dealer in monrovia this evening and they fixed my car!!! Charged me $290 to fix it and I have it in my driveway right now. . They said my cylinder head was fine. The reason why the valves did not bend and the pistons did not get damaged was because when the sprocket came off, the rpm was to low to cause any real damage(so i didnt overrev! i actually was underreved!). That saved my engine. They said the reason why I had no compression when the other shop tested it was because the cam sprocket wasnt turning the cam gear. so the valves were all opened at time of testing. They retightened up everything for me. They adjusted my timing back to what ever its supposed to be. the car drives like the way it did a week ago. But i think slightly smoother and quieter.

I am a happy camper now.

total cost out of pocket
tow to independent repair shop- $75
tow to dealership- $75
Cost to fix- $290
Nights without sleep- 3
good night everybody. I am going to knock out now.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
ooh also I will post the documents that the dealer and the independent shop filled out online this weekend so if anyone else is going thru the same thing they can use something similar

Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that our engines were non-interference engines. Wouldn't that mean that if the timing is off or the sprocket comes off the valves will not be damaged?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phucket
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that our engines were non-interference engines. Wouldn't that mean that if the timing is off or the sprocket comes off the valves will not be damaged?
He has a 1st gen engine.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
At least the engine wasn't mush and you have your car back.
That's a good deal and low cost to fix.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:45 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I'm wondering how the engine was ruined if all it took was tightening up a few bolts and resetting the timing?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Jcauseyfd: If you read from page one the OP was initially given this info about his car:"They said most likely the valves are bad and they would have to open it up to see whats wrong with it. but 95% sure the head is bad. After they opened the valve cover they found the cam sprocket bolt came loose and the timing chain jumped. They then said when the timing chain jumps the valves would smash into the pistons and then bend/break." So that's where the concern about the ruined engine came about.
Great news Autobot, and here's hoping you are paid back the amount you did have to fork over.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
yes is great news.

I dont mind dishing out a few hundred to get my car running even if it was not my fault. I rather not talk to the shop that did the install again. I will take the loss on this. whats most important is getting my mini back .

Originally Posted by Stanislaus
Jcauseyfd: If you read from page one the OP was initially given this info about his car:"They said most likely the valves are bad and they would have to open it up to see whats wrong with it. but 95% sure the head is bad. After they opened the valve cover they found the cam sprocket bolt came loose and the timing chain jumped. They then said when the timing chain jumps the valves would smash into the pistons and then bend/break." So that's where the concern about the ruined engine came about.
Great news Autobot, and here's hoping you are paid back the amount you did have to fork over.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Now it does sound like a small claims court case for the out of pocket expenses to fix what the shop messed up. With all the info and documentation you have, I would definitely go to small claims court. Heck, you've already done all the hard work to prove your case.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
ColinMc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chaswyck
Now it does sound like a small claims court case for the out of pocket expenses to fix what the shop messed up. With all the info and documentation you have, I would definitely go to small claims court. Heck, you've already done all the hard work to prove your case.
+1

Or even just get a hold of your local paper and let them know about your experience with this shop so others in the area can know to stay clear. I did this with a car dealership I was having issues with. I didn't gain anything from it, but if I could help it so even just one other person didn't have to go through the same ordeal I did...then i'm happy.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:00 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Always sad to hear of stuff like this. Going to a shop with solid reputation who have established themselves as having a MINI following/clientel is paramount to keeping our cars in top shape. I have seen everthing from shotty body work including a silver R53 with R50 bonnet with dimple/dents from the Intercooler that also had a R50 radiator support- no air duct - which seems to be a common trend as I just saw another one yesterday) and mechanical repairs done by both shysters and those with good intent, which is probably your case. Either way we end up suffering the consequenses.

Even simple brakes jobs can go bad or while the MINI is up on the lift half done that they lack the equipment to do the rears.....

Reputable shops are insured in most places. Maybe you can get that info as well ?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
The shop that I towed the car to checked the compression. None of the cylinders had any compression at all. THey said when the engine has no compression then 95% of the time its a bad head. when they opened up the valve cover and found the sprocket had come loose and the timing had jumped they were 100% sure it was bent valves. I took the information and went to the shop that did the original work and they to said based on that information, I had a bad head/bent valves due to the pistons impacting the valves. The dealer also agreed. so all 3 shops said the same thing.

They dealer was supposed to be pulling off the head to get it revalved. They gave it a closer inspection and found the sprocket came off far enough to where it was disengaged from the cam. so they said there is a possibility when the sprocket came off the camshaft shopped spinning immediately because it was not being turned by the sprocket anymore. so when the pistons went upwards the valves did not come downwards to creat the impact. They said that is very rare and i am very lucky because almost always the conclusion of a loose cam sprocket and jumped timming chain would result in bent valves. They said what saved my engine was the sproket coming off while the rpm was low. pretty much idle speed because i was backing out of a parking spot when that happened.

so at the end of the day the only real damage i had was the end of the camshaft to where it linked to the sprocket was chipped off. but the dealer said it shouldnt pose as any problems since it was just the tip that was chipped/dented. alot of things went wrong after my head install by the a & z auto but at the same time alot of things happened right to minimize any damage to my engine.

I'm wondering how the engine was ruined if all it took was tightening up a few bolts and resetting the timing?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM
BLOWN383
1st Gear
So did you end up going to small claims court?

-B

Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
No I am not a sueing type. I would only take someone to court if it was a really large amount. But I put negative reviews on them and they have a bad mark with the Bureau of automotive repair.

Be sure if you guys are in the area and need work done to dont go to that place. I will never go back to them

Originally Posted by BLOWN383
So did you end up going to small claims court?

-B

Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Autobot Lazi,

If I may ask, how did you pay for the work they had done on your Mini ?
If you paid by credit card, I would protest the charge on your card as they did not provide the services you paid for; where is the warranty on this work.

If this was my Mini, I would not want them to ever touch my car again !!!
Go somewhere else that stands behind their work !

Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
That looks to me like a bolt that in addition to being properly torqued, should also receive loctite.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Autobot_Lazi
No I am not a sueing type. I would only take someone to court if it was a really large amount. But I put negative reviews on them and they have a bad mark with the Bureau of automotive repair.

Be sure if you guys are in the area and need work done to dont go to that place. I will never go back to them
Small claims court.(in the us)..most places limit you to $5500...(some still have a $3000).no laywer needed, just a small filing fee. Tell your story, heard by a judge...then ruled. Quick, cheap fast. If you feel right, it is a way to be heard with $$. Even less time than this thread.....

Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
The guy from the Buereau of automotive repair told me he will contact them to try and convince them to pay me back for the damages. THey said its very clear who was at fault. If they dont then they will get a bad mark on their record. Enough bad marks they can loose their lisence to repair.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Small claims court.(in the us)..most places limit you to $5500...(some still have a $3000).no laywer needed, just a small filing fee. Tell your story, heard by a judge...then ruled. Quick, cheap fast. If you feel right, it is a way to be heard with $$. Even less time than this thread.....
That has changed in Cali to $10K.....