Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil level inaccuracy ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 AM
ieandro
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil level inaccuracy ..

Hey,

So last thursday afternoon, I checked my oil level and it was perfect - right near the oil max mark. Went away for three days and checked it again today and it was way over high!

Not sure what's going on, but could it be that the residual oil in the engine itself after days of not moving made its way to pan?

Is it bad to run it or should I drain some to the proper level?

If it's the case of the making its way back to the pan, then would draining it be a bad thing since the oil getting back into the engine leave the pan on the low side again?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
The dip stick is calibrated to be correct when the engine is at operating temperature.

After the engine cools, the dip stick will read as too much oil.

I am sure you are fine. Do not drain any oil as that will leave you low when the engine is at operating temperature.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
ieandro
2nd Gear
whew. Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by b&WCM
The dip stick is calibrated to be correct when the engine is at operating temperature.

After the engine cools, the dip stick will read as too much oil.

I am sure you are fine. Do not drain any oil as that will leave you low when the engine is at operating temperature.

A fluid will expand when warmer and contract when cooler.

Per MINI, you're supposed to get the engine to operating temp, let it sit five minutes, then check the oil. (Like that's going to happen!)

For the OP, I'd try that procedure and see what result you get. If at some point it reads fine, I wouldn't worry about it, but it really depends how high 'way high' is.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think its the "oil up in the head and all around so you gotta let it drain down " theory.Then when its been sitting a long time and cold it gives a false high reading . But in my mind if its too high when its cold , its too high when its cold.
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland

A fluid will expand when warmer and contract when cooler.

Per MINI, you're supposed to get the engine to operating temp, let it sit five minutes, then check the oil. (Like that's going to happen!)

For the OP, I'd try that procedure and see what result you get. If at some point it reads fine, I wouldn't worry about it, but it really depends how high 'way high' is.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM
ieandro
2nd Gear
I changed the just about 3 weeks ago and checked my oil religiously every 3-4 days. It'
s always been about a mm from the max line.

I just thought it was odd that it was high and I figured that the theory of the residual making its way down seemed logical since it was given 3 days time to to sit in 30 degree weather.

JPMM, I think you maybe right. I'm going to let it sit overnight and see what I come up with in the morning. If it's still high then something is amiss since I drove pretty much all afternoon. theoretically, it should be back to the level that it was last week since the residuals should be back in the head and such.

I'll drain some to the correct levels if anything. Thank goodness for the Fumoto quick valve.

*b&WCM .. the entire stick wasn't drenched in it, but it was definitely about 5-6 mm past the max mark.