Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up my r56 cooper today from the mechanic. Started it up, listened to left side of the engine and sure enough, it has a rattle. Had the mechanic listen to it and he verified that it sounded like the chain was loose. He hasn't worked on many coopers (independent mechanic shop that accepts my third party extended warranty), so he said he would have to make some calls about it. Told me to take it home and he would tell the warranty company that he still had it so I don't have to pay a deductible for any repairs.
Mechanic is friendly and helpful, and seems willing to learn about the car. Hope he can.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Texas Miniac
2nd Gear
Man, these last few posts are making me really want to take ours in to REALLY get checked out!! Hope y'all's work out for the best, and least expensive route.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I honestly think there would be more people changing their own if it didn't require an additional investment to get the tool set from Way.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi all, new to this forum and thinking of getting my wife one of those Mini S's for her grocery getter.
She wants an automatic so when I first started looking I found out about the CVT issues so no problem, upgraded our search to 2007 and newer with the better transmision.
Finnaly located what appears to be a nice one owner 2009 with high mileage(70K) but fair price so we are going to look it over to possibly purchase.
Problem is that after doing futher research on these Mini's I found they have a lot of complaints about reliability issue and all to often dealer/manufacture failure to properly address these issues even while still under warranty. Out of warranty cars seemed to be SOL as far as any recalls.
The worst of these would be the timeing chain issue where it appears (from reading many different complaints) that the initial fix of replacing the tensioner was only a short term fix and going the whole timing package replacement was questionably fairly short term fix also.
I've called the Service Manager at Jackie Cooper dealership in Edmond Oklahoma
explaining my concerns should we buy an out of warranty Mini and the timeing chain issue latter coming up without a recall to get it fixed. He told me that if I were to experience a timing chain issue they would sevice it out of warranty as long as I could prove the car had been properly maintained and serviced with emphasis on proof of this service.
The car we are going to look at suposidly has all sevive records but I don't know if they will be enough or for that matter whether the service manager is being strait with me.
I'm totaly willing to pay out for a one time fix as long as it is a real fix but I'm strugling to justify buying this car for my wife knowing that there is a fairly good chance we will eventualy be facing potentialy high repair costs with no real reason to believe those repaires will fix the problem long term or be ongoing/never ending.
I totaly get this forums brand loyalty and the fact that these cars are cute and absolutly fun to drive, but I would ask for youre unbiased ( I know you all love these little cars) and knowledgable (honest) opinions on what you would do if in my place as a potential (non-enthusiast)purchaser of one of these cars?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:24 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
There are many thousands of MINI's that have not had a problem with the timing chain and tensioner. When people have mechanical problems, they are going to go to the MINI forums to research the issue. People don't come to car forums to say, "I haven't had any problems with my car!" This makes it look like there are widespread problems when there are not.

So OK, I'll say it. I haven't had any problems with my car, none.

Dave

Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TREX
Hi all, new to this forum and thinking of getting my wife one of those Mini S's for her grocery getter.
Any reason you're set on an "S"? The base MINI has fewer reliability issues. An automatic base Cooper makes an awesome grocery getter. I have a base model 6-speed and I don't miss the turbo at all.

Just wondering...

ps... I know several people who have the turbo "S" MINI (various model years) - - no reliability issues with any of them , that I know of.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
There are many thousands of MINI's that have not had a problem with the timing chain and tensioner. When people have mechanical problems, they are going to go to the MINI forums to research the issue. People don't come to car forums to say, "I haven't had any problems with my car!" This makes it look like there are widespread problems when there are not.

So OK, I'll say it. I haven't had any problems with my car, none.

Dave
While I can understand you may feel there aren't that many issues with the second generation Mini S's as you have had the good fortune to not have had any with yours, there does appear to be enough complaints from others to justify my concerns about buying this car.
I notice your Mini is a 2010, most complaints seem to be coming from earlier year models but that could be simply because they would have more miles on then than the newest model years. How many miles are on yours? Perhaps it's just a matter of time before these problems start to crop up on yours, or not, who knows. Also if you are covered under a warranty these issues may not have the same gravity as for someone living outside the comfort zone of the waranty.
There was a poll somewhere on this site that did show that almost 1/3rd polled had no problems develope with their Mini's as of yet, but a significant pecentage of those polled had had problems with thier car.
Most car enthusiast forums are made up of owners of the car in question and are there on the forum because of their love of that car and would not say bad things about the car unless there were good cause.
I thank God these forums exsist and that they can openly talk about any problems they may have had with their car so that others may become better informed and learn from them.
These Mini's are neat little cars and would be fun to own and drive but (for me at least) all that fun would quickly evaporate if the car continualy had serious and exspensive problems.
My wife would love to have one of these cars and I would love for her to have one, but not if it's going to be a continual headache of problems.
I've been a car nut my whole life and have built cars from the frame up, belonged to many car clubs and associated with about every kind of car entusiast out there, but over the years my love of cars has been tempered with some common sense and right now that common sense is telling me I'd better step back from our desire for one of these cars to clear my head and ask relevant questions as to the advisability of buying one.
That's why I on this forum asking questions and opinions.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 33EJB
Any reason you're set on an "S"? The base MINI has fewer reliability issues. An automatic base Cooper makes an awesome grocery getter. I have a base model 6-speed and I don't miss the turbo at all.

Just wondering...

ps... I know several people who have the turbo "S" MINI (various model years) - - no reliability issues with any of them , that I know of.

Actualy it's my wife that wants the "S" model because she thinks the hood scoop and double tail pipes are cool. She's not a hot rodder like I am and the turbo wouldn't be a big deal for her but she's got it in her head that she wants the "S" model.
Perhaps if it came down to no Mini unless it's the base model she would reconsider.
That would get rid of the turbo and carbon issues for sure. But as I understand it, the timing chain set up is the same on both the base model and the turbo so I would think the potential for failure would still be there but (because turbo's tend to use oil) not as great.
I would be happy with a non turbo if I could resonably expect the timing chain issue to go away.
But then again my wife...?

It would be interesting to know the year, model and mileage of thos who are having problems compared to the year, model and mileage of those who have not had any problems.

Last edited by TREX; 05-25-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:50 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Actualy it's my wife that wants the "S" model because she thinks the hood scoop and double tail pipes are cool.
FYI - - the hood scoop is fake, and the double tail pipes stick out of a single muffler. Both are more "bling" than function, IMHO.

It would be interesting to know the year, model and mileage of thos who are having problems compared to the year, model and mileage of those who have not had any problems.
You can really drive yourself crazy with this line of thinking. Every make and model of car has its own quirks and reliability issues, you can't avoid that no matter what car you buy. MINIs have been pretty good compared to others, in my experience.

If you really want a MINI for your wife and reliability is your main goal, look for a low-mileage base Cooper automatic. You will have a good chance of getting a fun, reliable little runabout that's more fun to drive than seems possible for the money. Find a nice one, let her test drive it and she probably won't even care that it's not an "S" turbo model.

Just my opinion, of course. Feel free to ignore it, as you wish.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 PM
DOC4444
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I love my Mini. Before purchase, I knew about the severe carbon problems with the direct injected N14 motors. I knew I did not want runflat tires and I wanted to conveniently carry a spare tire. I also wanted a car that did not require timing belt services every 100K, or less. So, I got an N12 powered car.

However, I did NOT know that the timing chain system used in the N12 and N14 does not last 300K plus miles like timing chain systems used to. I measure my timing chain slack every 15K miles. It will probably exceed 68 mm within 50K miles. I am not comfortable exceeding 70 mm, even with the "long" tensioner installed.

BMW/Mini is still installing the same parts. (The long tensioner is the same design. It just has a little longer travel so it can keep more slack under control, but it is NOT a fix for a system that does not have remotely adequate longevity.) I expect to be replacing the whole system every 50-60K, unless an upgrade is forthcoming. I may install an Accusump right after a full TC system replacement. That will ensure there is never any uncontrolled slack (the zing you hear when you first start after sitting a few hours).

I will not encourage ANYONE to buy an N12 or N14 until the manufacturer steps up.

DOC

Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Just purchased a 2007 Cooper s hatchback. The timing chain issue is real. I got an extended warranty that covers all mechanical so I'm not too worried about it, but I understand your concern. I too wonder how much the problems are elevated because people tend to complain more on forums. I started my car right after I read about it and sure enough there is an audible rattle while idling. Mechanic is looking at it on Tuesday and is expecting to replace at least the tensioner. I'm going to push for replacing the whole system to get it over with.
It's definitely a great driving car, but I fully expect to have to do some repairs and extra maintenance. I enjoy that stuff so I'm not worried but without the warranty I wouldn't have purchased it.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 AM
DOC4444
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Please provide details about extended warranty you purchased and what you paid for it.

Thanks!

DOC

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 33EJB
FYI - - the hood scoop is fake, and the double tail pipes stick out of a single muffler. Both are more "bling" than function, IMHO.

You can really drive yourself crazy with this line of thinking. Every make and model of car has its own quirks and reliability issues, you can't avoid that no matter what car you buy. MINIs have been pretty good compared to others, in my experience.

If you really want a MINI for your wife and reliability is your main goal, look for a low-mileage base Cooper automatic. You will have a good chance of getting a fun, reliable little runabout that's more fun to drive than seems possible for the money. Find a nice one, let her test drive it and she probably won't even care that it's not an "S" turbo model.

Just my opinion, of course. Feel free to ignore it, as you wish.

Taking your advice and took wife shoping yesterday. Found a really nice 2013 Mini Coupe base model(non-turbo) with automatic.
She fell in love with it so I'll try to make a deal for her.
It had an original MSRP of $25600 and has less than 3K miles on it. They are asking $22K for it and It's not a CPO car for some reason so I figured if I could get them to through the CPO certification in (addition two years/50K miles extended warranty) I'll give them thier asking price.
That would certainly alieviate most the anguish over timing chain failures.
It lists this car as an R58 N16 motor, is the timeing chain set up different in a R16 vs R12 & R14?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Taking your advice and took wife shoping yesterday. Found a really nice 2013 Mini Coupe base model(non-turbo) with automatic.
She fell in love with it so I'll try to make a deal for her.
It had an original MSRP of $25600 and has less than 3K miles on it. They are asking $22K for it and It's not a CPO car for some reason so I figured if I could get them to through the CPO certification in (addition two years/50K miles extended warranty) I'll give them thier asking price.
That would certainly alieviate most the anguish over timing chain failures.
It lists this car as an R58 N16 motor, is the timeing chain set up different in a R16 vs R12 & R14?
OK, just made the deal on the car. Gave them $22500 with the CPO certification added to the car.
I don't have a clue if that was a good deal or not but I'm happy with it and my wife is happy so we're happy, happy, happy.
I'll sleep much better now with a six year/100K mile warranty instead of the four year/50K mile warranty.
Throughout the process of talking with the different sales staff and service managers at different dealerships I've taken every oportunity to express my concerns over the timing chain issues and that I feel have not been properly resolved by Mini.
I believe we should all be vocal to Mini about these type issue every chance we get even if we have not personaly suffered from these issues as an manufacture's failure to adequately address an injustice to one Mini owner should be considered an injustice to all Mini owners.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contrary to some people's opinion, the timing chain tensioner problem is very real. I had my original tensioner replaced under warranty at less than 15k miles. I began hearing the chain rattle again at app. 57k miles and replaced it myself. The tensioner I replaced did not press in smoothly. It could be pushed in a small distance, then would hang up. I put more pressure against it then it would then suddenly push in further, then hang up again. I applied more pressure then it would suddenly go in fully.

I replaced it with a new tensioner, and everything "appears" OK. I bought my MINI new and have changed the oil myself @ 6k miles even though Blackstone has analyzed the oil and has suggested longer intervals. The comment above that a dealer said that they would stand behind the engine with records with proof of service. Well, that may be, but the dealer is over an hour away and I can change my oil much cheaper than their prices.

I currently have 65k miles on it and love it but...I guess my next car will be another Ford product, I never had this type of BS from them.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 PM
GMA57
Neutral
Hello All, I finally purchased a Mini Clubman. 2009; Convenience/Cold Weather package - 26k miles. Little Cream Puff she is. I did take her to the dealer and much to my pleasure she has 3 months of warrantly left. So - mention the rattle, get a new timing chain - and glad I did. I hope that takes care of the problem, maybe not, but at least I start out fresh. Pick her up tomorrow. Now wondering about tires, baby does need new shoes. She also came with 2 additional years of maintenance - do I need the "extended service warranty"? Isn't that only going to fix "mechical failures" vs "wear and tear"?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe we should all be vocal to Mini about these type issue every chance we get even if we have not personaly suffered from these issues as an manufacture's failure to adequately address an injustice to one Mini owner should be considered an injustice to all Mini owners.
Communist!

Really, this is at best a naive attitude, you do not have all the facts to make such a pronouncement, and each situation is different - how can you paint the manufacturer with such a broad brush of guilt with only a short post on the internet for proof?

Oh, I forgot, if it's on the interwebs, it must be true.......

Every MINI owner is right and the manufacturer is always wrong?

I'm glad you got your wife a new MINI and I'm sure you'll both enjoy it for years to come, but lets leave the lawyerin to the lawyers, OK?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Dave, I completely disagree with you. The timing chain is a wide spread problem and it affects cars that both properly maintained and those that follow MINI's guidelines. However the inability for the problem to be permanently fixed is worrisome to all MINI owners. Instead of designing a new component that ain't plastic to replace the existing piece(s), they throw a new tensioner in to soak up some slack and pray that it holds up, even through we all in here have read that it doesn't.

So yes we all as MINI owners have the right to ***** and complain, because ultimately 8 out of 10 times, we pay the expense for it.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave

Communist!

Really, this is at best a naive attitude, you do not have all the facts to make such a pronouncement, and each situation is different - how can you paint the manufacturer with such a broad brush of guilt with only a short post on the internet for proof?

Oh, I forgot, if it's on the interwebs, it must be true.......

Every MINI owner is right and the manufacturer is always wrong?

I'm glad you got your wife a new MINI and I'm sure you'll both enjoy it for years to come, but lets leave the lawyerin to the lawyers, OK?
Dave, I'm beginning to think you work for mini. Anytime someone says that there is s problem with the mini design, you come in here to dispute them. If a timing chain is wearing out before 100k, that is definitely a design flaw as most chains can go several hundred thousand before needing replacement.
The fact that mini had already changed the tensioner from original is them admitting that it's design was wrong from the get go.
Unfortunately my daughter was sick the last couple of days so I had to postpone my appt until Thursday. I will post an update after.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 AM
33EJB
4th Gear
OK, just made the deal on the car. Gave them $22500 with the CPO certification added to the car.
I don't have a clue if that was a good deal or not but I'm happy with it and my wife is happy so we're happy, happy, happy.
I'll sleep much better now with a six year/100K mile warranty instead of the four year/50K mile warranty.
Congrats!! I'm sure your wife (and you) will love it. Find a good hilly/curvy country road nearby and go for a good long drive. That's where the MINI really shines.

And... try not to obsess about all the "problems" written about on this forum. Yes, many of them are legit. But every automotive forum is like this. And no car is perfect.

Change the oil often, flush the brake fluid every couple of years, and fix stuff when it wears out or breaks. Don't worry too much about the odd stone chip or scratch (I'm working on this, myself).

Above all, drive and enjoy it. That's why you bought a MINI after all.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Couldn't have said it better myself. Enjoy the MINI for what's it's meant to be enjoyed for. And rest easy knowing the entire MINI community has your back.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM
ZJedi945
3rd Gear
Well I am really paying attention to this since my my timing chain destroyed my engine about a week ago.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZJedi945
Well I am really paying attention to this since my my timing chain destroyed my engine about a week ago.
ouch, talked to my mechanic today (3rd party warranty approved place who admits to not seeing many mini's) and they were supposed to check the timing chain tension. I'm beginning to think they don't know how to do this.
I called them this afternoon after dropping my car off this morning. Apparently, the mechanic who was checking my car hurt himself and left early. I asked if they had a measurement on the timing chain and he said he wasn't sure. Said that there were notes scribbled down about carbon build up. Told him, probably so, being its direct injected, but that had nothing to do with the timing chain. Gave them the specs for replacement and he said he would talk to the mechanic (hopefully he's back) in the morning.
These people seem nice, but I don't want to have to walk them through repairs. They are offering to waive the deductible, but man, it shouldn't take 2 days to diagnose what I told them to check...

Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DOC4444
Please provide details about extended warranty you purchased and what you paid for it.

Thanks!

DOC
extended warranty came with the car purchase (included in sticker price) and is managed by aeverex. I would not have bought the car without it because of its age.

You measure your slack at home. How is this accomplished? Does it require the 300 dollar kit?
This kit?

http://www.promini.com/product-exec/...arch_model/100

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
extended warranty came with the car purchase (included in sticker price) and is managed by aeverex. I would not have bought the car without it because of its age.

You measure your slack at home. How is this accomplished? Does it require the 300 dollar kit?
This kit?

http://www.promini.com/product-exec/...arch_model/100
The link provided is when removing the timing chain for replacement, not sure if it's used for checking chain slack.

Does anyone know if your supposed to pay the deductible for your warranty (6-year/100k) before or after the warranty work is completed? Carmax warranty

Quick Reply: timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's