Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM
kacken
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I found out today that the timing chain assembly needs to be replaced on my 07 mcs with 38k miles on it (almost even) MINI denies it was a part of the batch that was effected by the known issue and would only take my complaint. $1400 out of pocket and two days without a vehicle because loaners are not available at the dealership at this time. Dandy! Really hope this becomes a recall due to it being such a huge issue (then again the last recall I was a part of through MINI it took them 7 months to get me my check)
Any ideas, advice, etc as 11 pages seemed a bit extreme to go through while at work

Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
My dealer replaced my entire timing chain cassette under the campaign/recall. Don't know if it has any bearing, but mine has a build date of 08/2007. Work performed with no questions asked. I had the original old style tensioner and they measured the chain backlash at 70.9mm. Anything over 68mm is considered out of tolerance.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:13 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kacken
So I found out today that the timing chain assembly needs to be replaced on my 07 mcs with 38k miles on it (almost even) MINI denies it was a part of the batch that was effected by the known issue and would only take my complaint. $1400 out of pocket and two days without a vehicle because loaners are not available at the dealership at this time. Dandy! Really hope this becomes a recall due to it being such a huge issue (then again the last recall I was a part of through MINI it took them 7 months to get me my check)
Any ideas, advice, etc as 11 pages seemed a bit extreme to go through while at work
A good independent could save you $4-500 I would think. Did me.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kacken
Call MINI USA directly and tell them what happened. It's my understanding that all 07-10 Cooper S's are subject to this campaign unless the work has been performed before and can be validated in their system.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I'm starting to get a cold start rattle on my second chain at 91K. 100K warranty expired Aug 1. I'm just going to get it done by my favorite independent ex-MINI dealer tech. That and the filter\cooler sandwich seals are now leaking.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I'm starting to get a cold start rattle on my second chain at 91K. 100K warranty expired Aug 1. I'm just going to get it done by my favorite independent ex-MINI dealer tech. That and the filter\cooler sandwich seals are now leaking.
When was the first chain replaced?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
When was the first chain replaced?
By the previous owner ~ 58K with the cracked cylinder head!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
So is it beyond the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty period that MINI has on their parts and labor?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:56 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
So is it beyond the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty period that MINI has on their parts and labor?
Yes. It was like 3 years ago. And it is just now starting to rattle and only on overnight cold startup. I could probably whine for MINIUSA assist since my warranty just expired. I'm become a very familiar face at Sewell, so they would probably go to bat for me as well, but...in all fairness it did just start. They did not check my chain tension because records showed I already had the new tensioner style. They didn't touch it. Put the pipe wrap on and sent me on my way.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Yes. It was like 3 years ago. And it is just now starting to rattle and only on overnight cold startup. I could probably whine for MINIUSA assist since my warranty just expired. I'm become a very familiar face at Sewell, so they would probably go to bat for me as well, but...in all fairness it did just start. They did not check my chain tension because records showed I already had the new tensioner style. They didn't touch it. Put the pipe wrap on and sent me on my way.
Yea. Personally for me that's a big rub in this whole situation. If you are so concerned about the timing chain problem, then why not check all the chains? It might be a little bit longer labor rate to physically measure the chain slack, but it'll prevent almost all future problems down the road. Just my opinion on this matter.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Yea. Personally for me that's a big rub in this whole situation. If you are so concerned about the timing chain problem, then why not check all the chains? It might be a little bit longer labor rate to physically measure the chain slack, but it'll prevent almost all future problems down the road. Just my opinion on this matter.
Me too. Kind of a half-a$$ed solution if I do say so myself. Had they measured mine when they first started the action, it may well have been within tolerances and passed over anyway. Faulty tensioner being replaced is one thing but whacked out chain tension is another that this action only barely addressed.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe there are new part numbers more recent than 3 years ago and the service bulletin thing happened just a couple months ago. Your warranty has no bearing if you fall under the affected cars. You go to the dealership, tell them the issues, they check your chain and tensioner. If you have the older style tensioner, it get's replaced. If your chain is out of spec, the whole cassette gets replaced. Go in, ask, find out, try. Do what you can. They screwed these things up, they're taking some sort of responsibility, see if you can get it done for free.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Injected - if you are talking to me, I've been around that horn. My VIN didn't come up on the check list which means the database shows me as good and having the appropriate part number already installed. I believe the corrected tensioner came out some time ago but for whatever reason, there may be a mixed bag floating around off the assembly line, perhaps old stock they needed to use and not trash, or some Frankenstein experiment for failure rates. They would not even touch me for a tension check.

Originally Posted by InjectedGT
I believe there are new part numbers more recent than 3 years ago and the service bulletin thing happened just a couple months ago. Your warranty has no bearing if you fall under the affected cars. You go to the dealership, tell them the issues, they check your chain and tensioner. If you have the older style tensioner, it get's replaced. If your chain is out of spec, the whole cassette gets replaced. Go in, ask, find out, try. Do what you can. They screwed these things up, they're taking some sort of responsibility, see if you can get it done for free.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
That's pathetic, honestly. It's a known common problem that should not happen, especially after it's been done once in the cars life.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 AM
TREX
4th Gear

It appears to me that Mini Cooper is only interested in a short term limited responce to all these timing chain failures.
If you just get the tensioner replaced your chain will most likely give you problems at a later date and that even if you were fortunate enough to get the complete tensioner/chain replaced they have not solved the problem and if you keep your Mini long enough the replacement will eventualy fail also.
My thoughts would be to get rid of the Mini before the chain starts to give you problems(if they only replaced the tensioner) or the time limits on the warranties are about to expire.
It's good that Mini Cooper has gone this far on the timing chain issue but it is becomeing clear that they are not going far enough to realy resolve the timing chain failures, just kicking the problem down the road at the Mini Cooper owners expense.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
That's pathetic, honestly. It's a known common problem that should not happen, especially after it's been done once in the cars life.
Unfortunately profit is still a huge factor here and that's what MINI is looking at. They're saving money on all the cars they don't have to check the chain tension on because they can have more cars worked on if the techs aren't tied up doing timing chain jobs. So if a car comes in with an updated tensioner, regardless of when it was fitted in the car's lifetime, it gets sent on its way and the tech moves on to a new job, which is probably paid for by the customer, which means money into MINI's pocket.

It might be a cynical view, but seeing that my family has 3 MINIs that all got dismissed because they have the "updated" tensioner without a single chain being checked, I take a vested issue to this approach.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
It appears to me that Mini Cooper is only interested in a short term limited responce to all these timing chain failures.
If you just get the tensioner replaced your chain will most likely give you problems at a later date and that even if you were fortunate enough to get the complete tensioner/chain replaced they have not solved the problem and if you keep your Mini long enough the replacement will eventualy fail also.
My thoughts would be to get rid of the Mini before the chain starts to give you problems(if they only replaced the tensioner) or the time limits on the warranties are about to expire.
It's good that Mini Cooper has gone this far on the timing chain issue but it is becomeing clear that they are not going far enough to realy resolve the timing chain failures, just kicking the problem down the road at the Mini Cooper owners expense.
While your logic is sound and most people will likely take that approach to this issue, for guys like Mike who have serious money invested in the car from a performance viewpoint, it's not feasible, not to mention the fact that we as enthusiasts of this brand should NEVER have to sell a car just to avoid dealing with an issue that the manufacturer recognizes and does little to remedy.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Well, it is what it is. Before my warranty ran out, I had just about every major component prone to failure replaced within the past 12K miles. Plus, I've put just about every bolt on mod including the JCW Tuning Kit on it and I still love driving and messing with the car. I can't leave it alone. I couldn't ever begin to recoup the money I've put in it if I sold it. I'll drive it until the engine expires then put a new one in. When I win the lotto, I will just buy me a second one, a JCW, just the way I like it with a 100k warranty. Whether that would be a coupe, R56 or F56, time will tell. Gotta win the lotto first!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Well, it is what it is. Before my warranty ran out, I had just about every major component prone to failure replaced within the past 12K miles. Plus, I've put just about every bolt on mod including the JCW Tuning Kit on it and I still love driving and messing with the car. I can't leave it alone. I couldn't ever begin to recoup the money I've put in it if I sold it. I'll drive it until the engine expires then put a new one in. When I win the lotto, I will just buy me a second one, a JCW, just the way I like it with a 100k warranty. Whether that would be a coupe, R56 or F56, time will tell. Gotta win the lotto first!
I hear you and understand where you are comming from. I've spent most my lifetime building and racing cars and it was a love for that sport that over the years I've put a small fortune into these cars, but I did it with my eyes wide open realizing from the get-go that the rewards would be only the pleasure of playing with these cars.
So in your case(and others totally like yourself) it is for the sport, if you can afford it. I also own a boat that(because of it's size) I keep at a marina and the expense of keeping that boat is substantial. If you can afford your toys and enjoy them, why not.
But for the vast majority of Mini Cooper owners out there, they depend on these cars for a means of everyday transportation and cannot afford the luxury of owning one of these cars out of warranty. For those potential Mini Cooper owners out there, I think it is our (the more knowledgeable Mini Cooper owners) to inform them of the cons along with the pros of such ownership.
I admire this forum for that honesty when potential owners inquire.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
rigga
1st Gear
Just be thankful mini America are doing something about the known issues for you ...here in the uk where they are built we get nothing, out of warranty then its down to the customer to sort out, mini just wash their hands of you.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 AM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
Although the number of non-S related timing chain issues appear to be at a lesser rate, they none-the-less have occured within those models as well and I would have thought Mini Cooper would have honored this with the non-S as well.
I would certainly maintain that the timing chain issue did in fact exsist in both models, and while the non-S models are less inclined to failure, a timing chain failure in either model should be treated the same.
Certainly NOT good news for those non-S owners out there who might also have timing chain issues develope(as they very well might).
Please keep us apraised asto how Mini Cooper choses to treat those non-S owners out there who eventually develope this timing chain failure.
A big thanks to my SA- he contacted MINI and they approved my repair on the spot! No charge! Timing chain and tensioners have been replaced. I never realized it because it was such a gradual process but that car sounds better when starting, when accelerating and has more pep than it has in a LONG time.

Feeling relieved is an understatement about now.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxsngrl
A big thanks to my SA- he contacted MINI and they approved my repair on the spot! No charge! Timing chain and tensioners have been replaced. I never realized it because it was such a gradual process but that car sounds better when starting, when accelerating and has more pep than it has in a LONG time.

Feeling relieved is an understatement about now.
These timing chains go bad in the first place because of a $15 dollar part not extending all the way. There's an oil pressurized piston that extends to keep the timing chain properly tensioned and sometimes the oil pressurized tensioners don't extend all of the way allowing your timing chain to be loose and stretch over time. Imagine you riding a bike and your chain is flapping around because it's loose, pretty tough to pedal.

This is what happened to your timing chain, it flapped around and that's why you lost your pep. For this reason it's important to keep your oil topped off at all times because when you're down half a quart there's less oil to circulate through the engine. Also keeping your engine oil clean can keep debris from getting into the tensioner, what I examined my defective tensioner it had a lot of black grit or debris deep inside where the piston seals. Don't allow your oil to get black, change it every 5000 miles.

It's just a suggestion.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
T Don't allow your oil to get black, change it every 5000 miles.
It's just a suggestion.

It's more than a suggestion. It should be a mantra! Oil and filter every 5K and check your oil level religiously. As in, every Sunday.
The Craven dipstick is expensive, but it makes it easier for me to monitor my oil level.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette

It's more than a suggestion. It should be a mantra! Oil and filter every 5K and check your oil level religiously. As in, every Sunday.
The Craven dipstick is expensive, but it makes it easier for me to monitor my oil level.
I absolutely love checking my oil now that I have the Craven dipstick, when I told my brother I paid $75 for an aftermarket dipstick he couldn't believe why someone would do such a thing! He laid into me hard until I asked him to check my oil with the stock dip, now he understands.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:19 AM
zlskrs
Neutral
Hi-in the market for a clubman S. Above it was mentioned a dealer can check VIN to see if it was part of this TSB. Can that be done online, or only dealer? I haven't had much luck getting info out of dealers when inquiring about cars I was looking at - I guess they can't divulge info or just don't want to be bothered by a non-customer. Particular one I am looking at now was built Jun10, 53k miles so out of warranty. I understand it would likely be covered anyway if need be, but would prefer to avoid the issue entirely if possible.

Also, service records show front crankshaft oil seal replaced twice, at around 30k and 45k. Is this indicative of some larger problem?

Thanks all - always appreciate the great info and insight on NAM.

Quick Reply: timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's