Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxsngrl
A big thanks to my SA- he contacted MINI and they approved my repair on the spot! No charge! Timing chain and tensioners have been replaced. I never realized it because it was such a gradual process but that car sounds better when starting, when accelerating and has more pep than it has in a LONG time.

Feeling relieved is an understatement about now.
That's great, just be aware that after the new timing chain is installed the clock starts and you will have two years of warranty. After that you will be on your own again and should probably be looking at tradeing or selling your Mini at that time.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 AM
davidg5700
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I absolutely love checking my oil now that I have the Craven dipstick, when I told my brother I paid $75 for an aftermarket dipstick he couldn't believe why someone would do such a thing! He laid into me hard until I asked him to check my oil with the stock dip, now he understands.

+1 for the Craven dipstick! I struggled so much trying to figure out how to get an accurate read on the OEM dipstick and failed miserably. Popped that Craven in and I know exactly where the oil level is.

I had my Clubman at the dealer and they gave me a 2014 Clubman for a loaner. Out of curiosity, I pulled the dipstick out to see if they had changed it. Nope, still the same crappy one they put in my 2010.

I really wonder how much of all the issues that MINI has are related to people not being able to accurately read the crappy OEM dipstick. It is quite possible for you be down a quart and, because of the dipstick, think that you're at the proper level.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:16 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zlskrs

Also, service records show front crankshaft oil seal replaced twice, at around 30k and 45k. Is this indicative of some larger problem?

Thanks all - always appreciate the great info and insight on NAM.
Not normal, and twice in such low mileage between replacements would be a concern to me.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TREX
That's great, just be aware that after the new timing chain is installed the clock starts and you will have two years of warranty. After that you will be on your own again and should probably be looking at tradeing or selling your Mini at that time.
Why would she want to sell it? The base Coopers aren't known for having major problems with timing chains, the S's however are a different ball game altogether.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:04 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
These timing chains go bad in the first place because of a $15 dollar part not extending all the way. There's an oil pressurized piston that extends to keep the timing chain properly tensioned and sometimes the oil pressurized tensioners don't extend all of the way allowing your timing chain to be loose and stretch over time. Imagine you riding a bike and your chain is flapping around because it's loose, pretty tough to pedal.

This is what happened to your timing chain, it flapped around and that's why you lost your pep. For this reason it's important to keep your oil topped off at all times because when you're down half a quart there's less oil to circulate through the engine. Also keeping your engine oil clean can keep debris from getting into the tensioner, what I examined my defective tensioner it had a lot of black grit or debris deep inside where the piston seals. Don't allow your oil to get black, change it every 5000 miles.

It's just a suggestion.
Nice, thank you!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Why would she want to sell it? The base Coopers aren't known for having major problems with timing chains, the S's however are a different ball game altogether.
Obviously that's not entirely true as jaxsngrl's case demonstrates, but the odds of failure are certainly much, much higher in an "S" model than in an non-"S" model.
I have an non-"S" Mini Cooper and I went with the Non-"S" because of the increased reliability of that model and subsequent reduction in maintenance costs.
The way I see it the timing chains are going to be covered by Mini Coopers warranty and after that by the service bullitin/recall which will then be covered for two more years and then you will be on your own.
Given this I would definately recomend the sale of an "S" model after that two years runs out and for the non-"S" I would strongly suggest the owner consider the fact that if their timing chain has failed once it has a chance of failing again and whether they want to play the odds.
My original plan was to sell my wifes Mini before the factory warranty and two year extended warranty had run out as resale would be much better while still under warranty, but now if Mini Cooper is covering the timing chains out of warranty I may consider keeing it longer...or not.
It's a choice each will have to make on their own weighing the odds of failure and insuing expenses should that failure occure.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Does anyone know if the new timing chain cassette and tensioner is an improved version that is stronger and unlikely to break? It would make sense if it were.

Dave

Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Does anyone know if the new timing chain cassette and tensioner is an improved version that is stronger and unlikely to break? It would make sense if it were.

Dave
It makes sense, which is why its not improved. The only change made was to the tensioner, and the new version is dimpled to allow oil pressure to build quicker/better, but its not bulletproof or the most sturdy construction as far as the whole replacement is concerned.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave

Dave
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
It makes sense, which is why its not improved. The only change made was to the tensioner, and the new version is dimpled to allow oil pressure to build quicker/better, but its not bulletproof or the most sturdy construction as far as the whole replacement is concerned.
I believe the main issues with the older tensioners was the machining tolerances between piston and tensioner body, before and after warm up of the engine would cause it to get stuck since the tolerances weren't correct. I have had some brake pistons have enough play between the body that they didn't even come out strait, that's when they got stuck crooked trying the extend outwards just like the tensioners. Some fail as early as under 2000 miles when the 2007's MCS first came out, I heard of some under 500 miles.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Americanitis
1st Gear
My car is at Mini of Tempe. Turns out the chain was stretched and the tensioner was bad, so they are doing the entire shebang: tensioner, chain, guides, etc. My car also never had the turbo heat shield fixed by the previous owner under recall, so they're doing that too.

No charge, loaner (auto Countryman S, but I guess it beats walking!)

They also apparently found a bad ball joint, so I'll be doing that soon.

Hopefully this fixes the car and keeps the engine good for awhile. I love this car, and I was crushed when I found out about these issues and thought Mini/BMW wasn't going to stand behind their cars. Glad to see that's not the case.

Also, big ups to Mini of Tempe. Top-notch customer service, polite, accommodating, etc. Josh in particular gets high marks. Not sure when he went to the service dept., but last July he was in sales and sold my GF her white 2011 MC. Was great with us then, and was with this too. Highly recommended.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 AM
chinq6t
2nd Gear
I sold my vehicle but paid out of pocket for this repair and I still hold the service papers and receipt. Are my immediate actions to contact Mini USA inquiring about reimbursement? Please advise. TY

Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I hear dealers are reimbursing on an individual basis, just bring your receipts and ask. If it wasn't a dealer, try MINI USA but keep your expectations low. GL

Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM
john171
3rd Gear
I read somewhere a while back that there is a BMW chain that will work in the S Coopers, a much stronger chain, same length etc. with the same spacing of the links. Anyone else hear anything about this? If it is true it might be worth it to have an independent shop do the replacement....

Old 02-11-2014, 06:49 PM
damiencain
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all dealers

Originally Posted by zrickety
I hear dealers are reimbursing on an individual basis, just bring your receipts and ask. If it wasn't a dealer, try MINI USA but keep your expectations low. GL
I spent 3k on mine in December on a new timing chain packet, tensioner, valve cover, vacuum pump and vanos sensor. My car has had three tensioners since I bought it, yet they refused to warranty the work because 1. my car is at 75k, and 2. my VIN did not come up as being part of the recall.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 AM
TREX
4th Gear
This just confirms what most of us have suspected and (unfortunately) many have found out. That is Mini Cooper is NOT fixing the problem but only patching it with a bit of bubble gum, hopeing that over time the problem will somehow just go away.
If you are "lucky" enough to have Mini Cooper replace your timing chain assembly it is only a matter of time/miles before it too will eventualy fail.
The sad fact for those who have no other recourse when Mini Cooper eventualy refuses to take responsibility for their failed timing chain design is too join in a class action lawsuit.
I fear the damage to those who would wish to dispose of their used Mini Cooper has already been done as the resale value has undoubtedly been hurt and that alone would be grounds for said lawsuits.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
This just confirms what most of us have suspected and (unfortunately) many have found out. That is Mini Cooper is NOT fixing the problem but only patching it with a bit of bubble gum, hopeing that over time the problem will somehow just go away.
If you are "lucky" enough to have Mini Cooper replace your timing chain assembly it is only a matter of time/miles before it too will eventualy fail.
The sad fact for those who have no other recourse when Mini Cooper eventualy refuses to take responsibility for their failed timing chain design is too join in a class action lawsuit.
I fear the damage to those who would wish to dispose of their used Mini Cooper has already been done as the resale value has undoubtedly been hurt and that alone would be grounds for said lawsuits.
How could you know that it is only a matter of time or miles before the timing chain components will eventually fail? There are those that have put well over 120K miles on their MCS and never had one issue with the timing chain, I have to believe that the courts will eventually do something if these same issue come back to haunt us. No one would argue that Mini USA's timing chain design isn't a design flaw because it is and Mini knows this and knows we know that they pretend to not know.

It's too late for Mini Coopers resale value, the damage is already done and it's only a matter of time before everyone knows about the design flaws.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good evening everyone,

While I received a letter back in November for my N14 to have the entire timing chain/tensioner setup replaced. Can anyone tell me if this effected the N12 motors?

I friend of mine wants a MY 2010 Justa. She has reached out to me for advice but I just do not know much about the N12.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM
displaced1
Neutral
timing chain/tensioner? great. This after I got BMW to pay for a new fuel pump and auxillary water pump on my 2011 countryman S All4 with 52,000 miles on it. First set of brakes covered under new car maintenance now needs front pads and rotors at $760.00.

Oil light came on at 51,000 and was a quart low. did it again at 52,000 on way to dealer and was told to check the level every 750 miles and add a 1/2 to 1 quart if needed and that it was "normal".

Back to Toyota/Scion I go. Adios Mini. You drive sweet and look tough but high maintenance isn't on this old man's agenda.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 PM
myR56S
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by displaced1
timing chain/tensioner? great. This after I got BMW to pay for a new fuel pump and auxillary water pump on my 2011 countryman S All4 with 52,000 miles on it. First set of brakes covered under new car maintenance now needs front pads and rotors at $760.00.

Oil light came on at 51,000 and was a quart low. did it again at 52,000 on way to dealer and was told to check the level every 750 miles and add a 1/2 to 1 quart if needed and that it was "normal".

Back to Toyota/Scion I go. Adios Mini. You drive sweet and look tough but high maintenance isn't on this old man's agenda.
Hi displaced1,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations. I really am. Your Mini is a great one.

I would not worry too much about timing chain issues as your Countryman has a N18 motor, mine was a N14, very problematic. The N18 is a pretty solid engine. In fact I would say that was the motor Mini got right.

At what intervals are you changing your oil? 10k? Too long in my book for a turbo car. Turbo cars go through more oil than N/A cars. It's in their nature. I change my oil every 5k and I still have to put a quart in between changes.

Brake pad sensors tell you when to put new pads in. Follow the sensors and you will have about 30% pad life left. It's a waste but people go too long before changing them and it destroys the rotor.

Is this your first Euro car?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 PM
iclancy82
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel most of the problem lies in MINI's absurd 15,000 mile oil change interval. Imagine a consumer whom blindly follows this regimen and doesn't regularly check his or her oil level or top it off. Imagine how much oil an N14 goes through in 15,000 miles! No wonder the tensioner fails, theres no oil pressure. I check my oil level weekly and change my oil every 5-7K. Hopefully I never run into tensioner failure.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM
DOC4444
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
See my post titled, "Justa timing chain slack".

DOC

Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
I took my 09 Clubman S in for it's 63k service- they informed me of the recall on the timing chain and tensioner. They said it was issued in Jan and pertained to 2008-2010 models. That's not official, just what my service guy told me as he was looking at his computer screen.
Picked ol' pepperwood up yesterday and he's driving like a champ. This morning, no rattling on startup (you know... the sound the dealership could never duplicate on their lot). I'm glad MINI finally got on top of this- had my timing chain gone out prior, I'd have definitely gone for reimbursement!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM
eppyphotog
Neutral
tensioner bolt leak

Found oil leak from tensioner bolt. Called MINI of North Scottsdale and my Service Advisor checked my VIN number. I was part 2 recalls- timing chain and turbo heat shield. Hot Chocolate 09 Clubman S went in today for complete replacement of chain (stretched beyond limit), guides, tensioner, bolt. Also found front crankshaft seal leak, since there was a huge amount of labor and parts over lap, having that replaced also- $165 instead of about $3-400.
Just 50k on car and was also told control arm bushings shot. That is about $8-900 repair. Told them to hold off. Rear strut leaking as well. I went 120K miles on my 3 series BMW before control arm bushing replacement and my wife's 97 Z3 is just turning 100k and her control arm bushings are needing replacement.
Has anyone done their own control arm bushings on their MINI?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 AM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
Eppyphotog, yup, those are the two recalls they did yesterday. I had them to the 32 point checkup and they said everything else was tip top. I specifically asked about my brakes, which haven't been done in 36k miles. They said brake pads are good! Apparently I don't use my brakes much, hehe...

Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by myR56S
Hi displaced1,

I would not worry too much about timing chain issues as your Countryman has a N18 motor, mine was a N14, very problematic. The N18 is a pretty solid engine. In fact I would say that was the motor Mini got right.
Are the timing chain assemblies the same in both the "justa" N12/N16 and the "S" N14/N18 prince engines?
What specifically to the timing chain assembly has changed from the N12/N14 Prince engines and the newer N16/N18 Prince engines?
I've read about minor fixes to the cooling systems and electrical systems on the N16/N18 in technical bullitines but can find nothing on the timeing chain assemblies themselves.
I have heard (but not read) that Mini may have made some change to the tensioners in the newer models.
I guess time will only tell whether the N18 developes the same timing chain problems as the N14 has had.

Quick Reply: timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's