Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Humming S/C After New S/C Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Mini-Moi
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humming S/C After New S/C Oil

Hey all, hope you're having a nice night.

I'm just wrapping up my winter modifications, catching all those small errors that I occasionally leave, and one has me particularly stumped. At idle, my supercharger is humming noticeably. It's much louder than it used to on the old oil. From what I can tell, it's from the pulley side, but I can't be sure because the rad is blocking the water pump side. I've done a few things that are within the vicinity that I'll list off for you.

Smaller serpentine belt (Went from 060539 to 060535), maybe it's too tight and putting excess pressure on the pulley?
Fresh oil in the supercharger, which I levelled out by hand when I was refilling it. Perhaps I put too much or little oil was added?
An error caused during reconstruction, although the S/C portion is pretty straight forward.
I emptied my catch can for the first time, which entailed me loosening one of the PCV hose connections. Could I have ruined the hose or seal doing this?

I've got my new tires here and he's itching to have them mounted, so any finger point in the right direction would be fantastic.

My money's on the oil level, but there are others here who know far more about this car than I do.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM
R53fort
1st Gear
First off, what oil did you use in the charger? If using the oil from the manufacturer than i would guess not. When i did the oil change on my charger the car had 120,000 on it. i replaced the oil with the BMW diff fluid with a weight of 75-90. Before i did the work i noticed that there was some noise from the front cover just behind the pulley. now with the new oil in it there is very little noise.
Also the belt that you put on was it for a car with smaller pulley? if that is the case them there may be too much tension on the pulleys. As for the oil level it is possible that if it is too low then there would be noise also.
I hope that this helps a bit.
Fred

Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Mini-Moi
2nd Gear
I put the GM oil in that a bunch of the sites recommend. He's got 80,000 right now and there was plenty of oil left in there when I emptied it. I drove it to and from work today and didn't notice any odd noises or performance issues (other than my whining steering pump and wheel bearing).

When I first heard it, it seemed to be coming from the pulley side. To be sure it was full, I pulled the radiator up a little and moved the dipstick tube away from the supercharger and managed to get a small amount of oil in before it started seeping out. Based on that, I'm leaning more towards the belt being too tight now. Tomorrow I'll see if changing back to the smaller belt makes any difference.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
I'm running the 060535 belt with a 15% pulley and it's a tight fit but no slip under full boost. With your higher mileage and the stress of the tight belt, your idler pulley may be going bad.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Mini-Moi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I'm running the 060535 belt with a 15% pulley and it's a tight fit but no slip under full boost. With your higher mileage and the stress of the tight belt, your idler pulley may be going bad.
That's the belt I'm using too. The Idler pulley is the one that doesn't seem to be used, almost smack dab in the middle of the block (not the crank)? It sounds a little higher than that, but it's close. I'll definitely take a look at it next time I'm around there.

I have another noise, but I can't tell if goes with wheel speed or RPM. I know my front left wheel bearing is nearly gone, so it could just be another noise from that. I guess I'll find out whenever I can get that bloody Torx bolt drilled out of the rotor. What a dumb idea that was...

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll update with what it ended up being. It could even just be a little groggy from the storage months or bad gas, what with all that fuel stabilizer in it.