Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Tips for using Mini Roadside Assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012 | 08:05 AM
evilzebramonkey
|
1st Gear
Tips for using Mini Roadside Assistance?

So I have a 2010 Clubman with 33k miles that has a check engine light on (wires to sensors broken as detailed in another thread).

The car is under warranty, so I'd like the dealer to take care of it BUT I'm 230+ miles from the closest Mini dealer.

Will Roadside Assistance tow it there (and back!) for me?
Is there a cost?
Anything I should say or do to make sure they do it for free/under warranty?

Any tips for making sure this works out?
thanks
-James

Old 03-08-2012 | 08:50 AM
wandrur
I think you should be covered for a tow if the CEL is one of those which tells you to call the dealer (as opposed to the yellow ones that tell you to continue but to call for a service asap). I'm not sure what the fine print is for roadside assistance, but my impression is that it is a 24 hour/anywhere deal. Maybe you should just call them and find out?

However, I'm pretty sure they won't bring your car back. You'll have to retrieve your vehicle after the repair has been completed. If your situation is one that qualifies for roadside assistance, then, no, there will not be a charge for the tow. But there might be a charge for the repair if it's not something covered under warranty.

Your best bet really is to call them and ask these questions.

Old 03-08-2012 | 09:31 AM
evilzebramonkey
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
<snip>
Your best bet really is to call them and ask these questions.
Thanks for the info-- particularly the difference between the various light meanings.

Just to clarify, I definitely plan on calling and asking these things (and I'll even post a reply to this thread to let others know how it goes). I also didn't want to say the wrong thing/frame the issue wrong and have them say "nope you're out of luck" IF there was a way I could ask that would be more likely to give the answer I want!

Old 03-08-2012 | 09:44 AM
wandrur
How conniving.

I like it.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-08-2012 | 11:57 AM
t0ad
2nd Gear
For what it's worth, when my CEL came on and the car started hesitating/surging randomly, I called roadside assistance and told them just that. They picked it up with zero hassle and took it up to my dealer (about 180 miles away), and the dealer called and arranged to have them bring it back to me with no issues either. They're pretty lenient, just tell them the car isn't running right.

Old 03-08-2012 | 12:10 PM
wandrur
Wow! That's pretty awesome!

Old 03-08-2012 | 05:41 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by t0ad
...They're pretty lenient, just tell them the car isn't running right.
I'll agree. I had my car towed about 20 miles when I had a flat. I didn't have a plug kit at the time. The lady at the 1-800 # tried to get me to drive on the run flats but I didn't want to ruin the tires (as you will once it is at 0 PSI). So they sent a flatbed within 40 minutes and I dropped the car off at the dealer after 7 when they closed. I went home and got my plug kit and plugged and brought my own air tank. Turns out my dealership has a hose reel int he service drive that has air and water available 24/7 so I stop by there instead of getting the compressor out and getting it pumped up, etc.

Old 03-09-2012 | 08:24 AM
evilzebramonkey
|
1st Gear
That's great to hear that they can be so helpful and accommodating. I'm going to call them Monday (since the service center said they could fit the work on my car in easier next week). I'll update with my experience then.

Old 03-11-2012 | 12:02 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I will also be calling MINI Roadside Assistance tomorrow AM, Molly is having to be flatbedded to MINI of Portland for NO Coolant in the Resevoir. Have already contacted my SA Jarid and let him know what was going on. This happened tonight so I was very happy I was able to get a hold of him and he got back to me so quickly, within a min....seriously!!
I've got a great SA!!

Old 03-11-2012 | 07:49 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Update...

Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I will also be calling MINI Roadside Assistance tomorrow AM, Molly is having to be flatbedded to MINI of Portland for NO Coolant in the Resevoir. Have already contacted my SA Jarid and let him know what was going on. This happened tonight so I was very happy I was able to get a hold of him and he got back to me so quickly, within a min....seriously!!
I've got a great SA!!
MRA came and picked up Molly, I was not so sure of the guy at first, but he was very professional. We headed out to a Club Event and stopped by MINI of Portland on the way there, the Tow Truck Driver handed me Molly's Keys and I filled out the Nite Drop Envelope and we were on our way!!

I took 17pics. of various stages of my Baby being loaded up and hauled away!!

Old 03-12-2012 | 01:01 PM
evilzebramonkey
|
1st Gear
Well, step one is complete: Mini Roadside Assistance sent a flatbed from a local towing company out to pick up the Clubman (named 'Hilda' cuz it kinda reminds me of a hippo - sometimes lengthened to Hildegard cuz it's German).

The guy that picked it up was really friendly and said he routinely transports Minis, BMWs, Land Rovers and Jags for warranty work since there are no local dealers (all more then 100 miles away).

Tips for using Mini Roadside Assistance?-9bf0rh.jpg

Wish I'd washed her first, but oh well....
I'll update more when I she comes back....

Old 03-14-2012 | 05:41 AM
evilzebramonkey
|
1st Gear
and just to finish off the saga-- the car was delivered back to my house by flatbed at about 8pm last night. The repair to the wiring was made, and they did an oil change (under the wear warranty) a bit early, since I live so far from the dealership. It also looks like they washed the car!

So to summarize:
car had problems including some drivability issues

I called Mini Roadside Assistance Monday AM

They sent a flatbed to get the car Monday AM

I called dealer service center to let them know car was on the way and what the problems were

Service Manager called once car arrived and they figured out problem (late Monday)

Work performed Tuesday

Service Manager called Tuesday afternoon to make sure I'd be home Tuesday night, then ordered up a delivery (via flatbed) under the "Mini Reunite" service, since I live more than 100 miles away (230miles!)

Car arrived Tuesday night.

Great Service from Mini and from Peabody Mini!

Old 03-14-2012 | 10:25 AM
wandrur
Wow, very nice!

Old 03-14-2012 | 10:41 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Thank you OP and other contributors to this thread!! I was wandering how good RA was, since they stick the 800 number ALL over the car! :D

Old 03-14-2012 | 05:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Thank you OP and other contributors to this thread!! I was wandering how good RA was, since they stick the 800 number ALL over the car! :D
Or Giggles..."There's an App for that!!" That is how I connected with MRA!!

Old 03-14-2012 | 05:16 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Or Giggles..."There's an App for that!!" That is how I connected with MRA!!
Pray tell, what app???? Thanks, R J!

Old 03-14-2012 | 05:36 PM
jrammon
2nd Gear
MINI has two apps for the iPhone. Don't believe it is available for Droids -if it is I am sure someone will jump in.

Mini Roadside Assistance App - which can track service, your vehicles, and get roadside assistance for you.

Mini Link App - which allows you to interact with other Mini owners who use the app. Allows for virtual waves, marking twisty roads, points of interest and more.

Both are in the app store.

Old 03-14-2012 | 10:20 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Pray tell, what app???? Thanks, R J!
In Android speak search "MINI Roadside Assistance"!!