Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Water Pump Recall repair completed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012 | 03:10 PM
MandB
|
2nd Gear
Water Pump Recall repair completed...

Hello All,

Reporting back on day with the new water pump following the repair at Midwestern MINI here in Dublin, OH. As always, prompt and courteous service at the dealer. I am now trying to process what appears to be a new noise coming from the engine bay following the repair. Granted, I was used to the sound made by the previous water pump which, to me, sounded like a high pitched hum/buzz.....the "new" noise contains the same high pitched hum/buzz as before but with the addition of a sound ON TOP of that sound which sounds like intermittent static/white noise. Hard to describe....
Just wondering if anyone else has completed the repair and noticed a new sound once the car is turned off.
I may drop by the dealer early next week and speak with one of the MA's. Stan is the tech who routinely works on the car.
I was also able to make an audio recording of the sound but can't seem to figure out how I would upload it to the NAM boards for other folks to take a listen.

Old 03-10-2012 | 07:39 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Never heard that sound before the recall and don't hear it after. Just the normal slight hum after shutdown of the aux water pump.

Old 03-12-2012 | 12:37 PM
Patches
3rd Gear
Same here - had the recall done last week on my '11 MCS and have heard no new/unusual sounds since. I'll pay closer attention in case.

Old 03-14-2012 | 08:30 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
I've definitely noticed that the new water pump sounds louder or at the very least significantly different. Though it's possible that my old one had been cooked and wasn't working (properly).

I've been debating whether or not to go through the trouble to take it back in just to have them tell me that it sounds normal (because you know that's what'll happen), so I'm interested to hear what you find out.

Old 03-28-2012 | 01:32 PM
GI-Joe
1st Gear
How long did the work take? Mini of Manhattan is telling me a few hours plus it could take up to two days to have it done. And I cant drop it off on a Saturday, it has to be during the week.

Old 03-28-2012 | 02:07 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
my time at the dealer was under 60 minutes for this fix, I brought a book and between buying a couple of filters and eye ballin' the cars on the floor I didn't read two pages.

altho I almost wonder if there is something they check and maybe then they don't have to do anything -

I noticed no signs of any work done! No smudges and no sound changes. Of course the dealer I use washes the car b4 they give it back . . .

Your experience is why I no longer live in a 'big' city. A few years in Miami and San Fran and I'm happy to be in the less stressful part of the world ... even if I must visit a dealer in Orlando it is nuthin' like Miami or SF!

Old 04-17-2012 | 03:35 AM
freeman727
2nd Gear
I had the timing chain and auxiliary pump fixed at the same time back in February and have the same high pitched noise/hum. I also noticed a drop in power.

Old 04-24-2012 | 06:02 AM
automan21
5th Gear
How long......

Originally Posted by GI-Joe
How long did the work take? Mini of Manhattan is telling me a few hours plus it could take up to two days to have it done. And I cant drop it off on a Saturday, it has to be during the week.
I just got back from dropping my car off at the dealer. They said 4 hours, I requested a loaner. Im not sitting around for 4 hours. I hate leaving my car somewhere and having people work on it or breathing on it.

Old 04-24-2012 | 02:34 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Got it back at 4pm when dropping off at 8am and it seems fine, performance just feels slow lol.

Old 05-03-2012 | 01:36 PM
bslk1234
Neutral
Recall leads to leaking water pump

I had my 07 MCS in for the recall for the auxiliary water pump issue. I waited for it in the morning and it was done within a few hours. THAT night when I got it home I noticed a puddle of fluid under the front passenger's side of the car. I noticed it again the next day where I parked my car for work. It was a slimy, clear fluid...definitely not oil. I then noticed my coolant level slightly low, so I topped it off. A couple of days went by and I continued to notice the drip spots on the ground. Again added a half cup or so of coolant mixture. It was obvious that that's what was leaking. Took the car back to the dealer and he said my water pump is leaking and it would be seven hundred and something dollars to fix it. He denied any correlation between my service for the recall and the leak that same night. Is it NOT possible that one contributed to the other?????

Old 05-03-2012 | 01:39 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bslk1234
I had my 07 MCS in for the recall for the auxiliary water pump issue. I waited for it in the morning and it was done within a few hours. THAT night when I got it home I noticed a puddle of fluid under the front passenger's side of the car. I noticed it again the next day where I parked my car for work. It was a slimy, clear fluid...definitely not oil. I then noticed my coolant level slightly low, so I topped it off. A couple of days went by and I continued to notice the drip spots on the ground. Again added a half cup or so of coolant mixture. It was obvious that that's what was leaking. Took the car back to the dealer and he said my water pump is leaking and it would be seven hundred and something dollars to fix it. He denied any correlation between my service for the recall and the leak that same night. Is it NOT possible that one contributed to the other?????
Sounds like bs! Is your warranty expired? Why shouldn't they check it and fix it being that they were last ones to work on it before it was leaking? I hate dealerships!

Old 03-25-2013 | 10:30 PM
kyle.swane
Neutral
Originally Posted by MandB
Hello All,

Reporting back on day with the new water pump following the repair at Midwestern MINI here in Dublin, OH. As always, prompt and courteous service at the dealer. I am now trying to process what appears to be a new noise coming from the engine bay following the repair. Granted, I was used to the sound made by the previous water pump which, to me, sounded like a high pitched hum/buzz.....the "new" noise contains the same high pitched hum/buzz as before but with the addition of a sound ON TOP of that sound which sounds like intermittent static/white noise. Hard to describe....
Just wondering if anyone else has completed the repair and noticed a new sound once the car is turned off.
I may drop by the dealer early next week and speak with one of the MA's. Stan is the tech who routinely works on the car.
I was also able to make an audio recording of the sound but can't seem to figure out how I would upload it to the NAM boards for other folks to take a listen.
I had some front end repairs done to my 2010 R56 Cooper S and the pump also sounds a bit different. Same hum but also a static noise too. The dealer said its the internal fan. Not sure though, because I had never heard it before. Anyone else get some answers?