Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broken glovebox lock. Can it be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Broken glovebox lock. Can it be replaced?

Hey all,

My girlfriend, god bless her, jammed an envelope into my glovebox this morning and it was caught in the latch mechanism or something. It was a valuable document so I locked it when I had to leave the car for a bit. When I tried to unlock it later, the lock would turn but the door would not open. I jiggled it a few times, and a little black widget fell out of the mechanism. Eventually I was able to pry the door open enough to slip a screwdriver in and push the envelope out of the way, and the door fell open... however, the lock/latch mechanism are totally FUBAR, several busted little pieces.

Can I purchase a new lock/latch assembly? I don't really care if it locks, but right now I have a piece of plastic between the door and the dash holding it shut. It's a bit trashy looking. I'm hoping I don't need to buy a whole new glove box :/

Bonus: It's my birthday today!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On our daughters's 2005, we were unable to figure a way to repair the lock. We wound up buying a complete golve box assembly including the new lock mechanism (which is shipped properly keyed to your vehicle using the VIN).

Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Herleman
On our daughters's 2005, we were unable to figure a way to repair the lock. We wound up buying a complete golve box assembly including the new lock mechanism (which is shipped properly keyed to your vehicle using the VIN).
Ahh, that's unfortunate! Can I ask how much that cost you?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I remember, it was about $160. It all goes together with just a few screws. I changed it in the driveway in about 10 minutes.

We found the lock was essentially "molded" into the front of the glovebox and there was no way to get it out without breaking the box up.

I think you can order the box without the lock cylinder and save a few bucks. The latch will work, but of course, without the cyclinder there will be no way to lock the glove compartment.