Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Super Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
themarques
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super Knocking

Hi Guys

So had a few probs last week or so as some of you may know. Basically a piece of the spark plug may have fell into the block. It was quite small so I hoped it blew out the exhaust.

Anyway got new plugs on the weekend installed and had a diagnostics done today.

First of the car is back to full power at least I think it's full power but it's moving with the new plugs, the idle is stable etc.

But when we ran the diagnostics we got a code I hadn't seem in the last week which was 2D52 Super Knocking. And it had also stored the multiple misfires in the cylinders that it had been doing weeks ago.

We cleared the code and it took it for a power ride and nothing came back.

It was a short burst around the block so maybe it needed time to return we will see. I am meeting my friend tomorrow and will see if this code has returned.

Basically my question is could the retarded spark have caused this error code super knocking? Or could it be the bit of plug that dropped in there that's causing the super knock?

Is there any sound I should be looking for to determine this knock?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by themarques
But when we ran the diagnostics we got a code I hadn't seem in the last week which was 2D52 Super Knocking. And it had also stored the multiple misfires in the cylinders that it had been doing weeks ago.
* MINI DTC P137F (0x2D52) - Knock Control Fuel Cutoff Due to Super Knocking
What octane of fuel are you using? Premium?

Because the ECU is see excessive engine knock (due to auto-ignition), the ECU is reducing fuel delivery to the combustion chamber.
Its reading knock levels so high that it can ruin the engine and it's trying to protect itself.

Basically my question is could the retarded spark have caused this error code super knocking? Or could it be the bit of plug that dropped in there that's causing the super knock?
Probably neither. Seems it could be something else...

Make sure you're using the correct fuel grade and make sure there's no build up of carbon to create 'hot spots' that produce auto-ignition.

- Erik

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
themarques
2nd Gear
Hi Erik thank you once again for coming through with valuable info. Took the car out for a hard drive last night and had it scanned this morning and no knocking error code. I am guessing it might have been the fuel but we will see.

The only error now present is 2F37 auxiallary water pump activation. For the life of me I hope the water pump is not dying on me! Is this the one that has been recalled? And if so where is it located ?

Thanks a million.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
The only error now present is 2F37 auxiallary water pump activation. For the life of me I hope the water pump is not dying on me! Is this the one that has been recalled? And if so where is it located ?
I'll verify my service manual at home for the code...
But the auxiliary water pump is the part that's recalled by MINI.
It's located underneath the oil filter housing.

- Erik

Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Erik thank you once again for coming through with valuable info. Took the car out for a hard drive last night and had it scanned this morning and no knocking error code. I am guessing it might have been the fuel but we will see.

Thanks a million.
If the code is in fact, reading aux water pump, then that is the piece
that's on recall.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
But if it is defective what should I be noticing. I hear the pump running after shut off so I take it that it's working, thought my fan does kick in a bit lately but I took that as a defective thermostat that I have on order as we speak.

Erik any luck with the service manual code?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
The only error now present is 2F37 auxiallary water pump activation.
Originally Posted by bluefox280
I'll verify my service manual at home for the code...
Erik any luck with the service manual code?
I did, but it's gonna throw you a loop...

* MINI DTC P023A (0x2F37) - Turbocharger 'A' Overboost Condition
If that's truly the code you pulled, it's not the water pump circuit at all... it's the turbocharger seeing problems with overboosting.

However, that code has brought up previous replacements of the turbocharger water pump:
* https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hermostat.html

- Erik

Last edited by bluefox280; 03-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 AM
themarques
2nd Gear
@Erik you have thrown me into a loop indeed haha, ok so trying to narrow it down.

If the condition is an "Overboost Condition" what problems would I be experiencing (loss of boost?, hesitation?) if so I am not having any such problems the car seems to be hitting boost with no problem.

Now as I posted previously and quoting from the link you just posted it might be the thermostat. I think this might be the case as it has been throwing the fan on odd occasions even when the car has not been driven hard.

So I think you might be on the right track.

So to clarify is the thermostat they talking about the one in the water pump

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...31&hg=11&fg=35

In the diagram that would be part number 5?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
If the condition is an "Overboost Condition" what problems would I be experiencing (loss of boost?, hesitation?) if so I am not having any such problems the car seems to be hitting boost with no problem.
An overboost condition is where the turbocharger is producing too high level of positive pressure.
Either that means the wastegate is sticking which doesn't allow the ECU to vary boost level...
Or something else is causing to high of built-up pressure to occur.

Now as I posted previously and quoting from the link you just posted it might be the thermostat. I think this might be the case as it has been throwing the fan on odd occasions even when the car has not been driven hard.
Definitely look into such.

So to clarify is the thermostat they talking about the one in the water pump
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...31&hg=11&fg=35
In the diagram that would be part number 5?
Item #5 is the Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS).
The water pump you see in the diagram is the MAIN water pump that runs off the accessory drive (serpentine) belt.
The auxilary pump (not shown in above diagram) sits below the oil filter assembly:
* http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...46&hg=11&fg=35

- Erik

Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi Guys

So had a few probs last week or so as some of you may know. Basically a piece of the spark plug may have fell into the block. It was quite small so I hoped it blew out the exhaust.

Anyway got new plugs on the weekend installed and had a diagnostics done today.

First of the car is back to full power at least I think it's full power but it's moving with the new plugs, the idle is stable etc.

We cleared the code and it took it for a power ride and nothing came back.

It was a short burst around the block so maybe it needed time to return we will see. I am meeting my friend tomorrow and will see if this code has returned.

You logic in the idea that the piece of spark plug blew out the exhaust is concerning...

You can kiss your turbo's exhaust blades goodbye if it did infact "blow out the exhaust"

I'd also be very concerned about what sort of internal damage has been caused by this broken piece of plug. Any sort of debris within the cylinder, can and most likely will cause serious damage.

I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to be chasing problems for a long time with this motor.