Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help! New Mini owner, problem with no/dim brake light on right side.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM
MiniC4Me
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! New Mini owner, problem with no/dim brake light on right side.

I would really appreciate any help or advice!

I just bought a 2003 Mini Cooper S in February and I found that the brake light on the right side doesn't shine. But the same light shines bright when I turn on the headlights. The element will just barely get enough power to make it glow, not shine when I brake. I tried replacing the bulb thinking the element for it had burnt out, but same senario. Just to make sure, I put the bulb from the left side that is working properly, into the right side and still, same senario. The third brake light up top also doesn't work and from what I've read, sounds like a major pain to replace with the spoiler right there.

Unfortunately, since I just bought the car, I don't have a repair manual and no where in town has one in stock. Is the Haynes manual a good one? Since I found one for $25, versus $88 for the Bentley one. Or is it worth the money for the Bentley?

Or is the problem way out of my hands? Should I just take the car in? I live nearly 300 miles from the nearest Mini dealer, so should I trust a local repair shop?

It's really sad to finally have the car of my dreams and have it just sit in the driveway.

Thank you so much!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Danske
2nd Gear
Maybe take the bulb out and clean the socket and bulb contacts. You might notice a problem. I think a local should should be able to take care of the problem. Probably a simple fix.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Dennis Bratland
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Haynes manual is an interesting supplement to have for comparison if you already have the Bentley, but if you're only buying one manual, spend the extra for the Bentley. Keep in mind that if you keep it clean, you'll be able to resell it for close to what you paid for it.

Also, use the TIS http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/r53/CO...8W11%29_COUPE/ Alas, no wiring diagrams.

I'll look at the wiring digram when I have a chance and maybe offer more suggestions, but for now I'd suggest checking the fuses, even though your left side brake light is working. Just to be sure. You can also visually inspect some of the wires leading up to the tail light, and use a test light to see if power is reaching the light socket when the pedal is depressed.

Last edited by Dennis Bratland; 03-18-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: + http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/r53/COOPER_S_%28W11%29_COUPE/
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Check that is the roght bulb and the grounds are good with a multimeter...once that is done, the usual problem is the bcm..body control module...a dealer only item that needs programming to match the car and options.
3rd brake light is an easy swap if broken...keep the spoiler on...be a 15 minutes job. Waymotor works can get you a new one, or maybe a used one. Simple thing to do...two torix screws and a plug.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Basic mini stuff...the bcm is the computer that controls all non motor stuff....it generates the brake lights, etc...uses a small amp basicly to take the tiny signal and make it strong enough for a bulb...amp goes bad...bcm needs replacement. Cars are not nearly as simple as they were once.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM
pilotguy1050
2nd Gear
poor ground connection in that tail light housing

You have a bad ground connection on the right tail light socket. It is not an 'open' of the bulb element OR ground, but, rather, a high-resistance ground connection. The brake light glows more brightly when the headlights are on, because the brake light element is sharing the "better' ground connection that is being made thru the headlights when they are in the circuit path because the lights are on. My guess is each light housing has its own ground, not a common one. Dim lights has nothing to do with the bulb itself. Part of your voltage is being used up by loss thru the bad ground.

I am too knew to know what the factory ground connection location is, but there has to be a way to improve/clean up the ground on the right rear. You can test this by hooking a wire with alligator clips on each end between the metal part of the bulb mount (or bulb) and a metal part of the car body (not painted) and then hit the brakes. You should find it works much better.

Once you confirm this, you just need to figure out where the factory ground is and fix that, or just run a new one to correct the condition. Usually anyplace on the body will suffice.

Hope that helps and makes sense. Or, your dealer should have no trouble diagnosing this problem and fixing it, if you are uncomfortable with electric repairs like this yourself. Good luck!

Last edited by pilotguy1050; 03-19-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarity.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
One more thing to look for...
many gen1 mini's have what is sometimes refered to as extra rear brake light option....the rear lights on most gen1 mini's have unused red reflectors, with a bulb holder....made for rear fogs...many folks used a jumper kit or even a paperclip to jumper the extra socket with power, adding more brightness to tge rear brakes...making suv's on you bumper back off (you can add a pulsar to kinda srobe or flash the upper rear light too)....some cars did have early bcm failures from this...but since yours seem to be working, i would check for ant odd looking wiring on the rewr lights...they are held in by one bolt...can be removed pretty easy to check for an extra jumper wire or even a paper clip (not to be comfused with the mod on post 2005 cars where the cutout on the lower rear bumper, formerly used as a back up light can be modified with a lens to a 4th brake light or rear fog...many folks invented many things that were quite common on mini"s).
The above mentioned way of testing the light is a good way to check it without a multimter to check the grounds...but a $10 multimeter is a great item to have around...good to see the input voltage to the bulb, the ohms (resistance) on the grounds, etc...
One possible work around....
You might be able to get a led rear brake light, that MAY function with the voltage/ampage present to get an acceptable brightness level...might be a good final item to try before spending a few $$ to get the wiring/bcm checked by the dealer.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM
butlerana
Banned
Think I may be in love with this

Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 AM
MiniC4Me
Neutral
Thank you so much everyone!

It ended up being a simple fix, but still took it to an auto electric place here in town. Without a repair book I just didn't feel comfortable guessing on my baby. The problem was a loose socket and loose wire. Plus the auto shop sold me the wrong bulbs. =/

Also good to note is the 1st generation Minis are wired for the third brake light to not work if a taillight is out. So luckily I don't have to drop $100 for a new one!

I will definitely be picking up a Bentley book!

Now back to the road! I believe a pleasure trip is in order for lost time! :D