Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

What's going on here??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012 | 07:44 PM
DVUS CPRS
|
3rd Gear
What's going on here??

I recently took my R56 in for it's first full service. The tech at the dealer said everything was fine, no fault codes or anything, but there's a noise he can hear that he wants me to keep an eye on it incase it gets louder. I still can't hear what he's talking about. Anyway, to the real issue....if it is one.

My car has always, from brand new, started a little weak. Push the button and "rrrr rrrr rrrr vroom". I notice other MINI's here start almost imediately. Is this normal for the S, or could there be a problem?

Next thing. I've noticed a burble and popping at idle. It only does it maybe once or twice then starts to smooth out as it warms up. I've just installed a K&N drop in filter a few days ago and I've noticed the burble since just after.

Last thing, that I can think of, if I let my car idle for too long after first start up, it seems to run....too.....normal. Like no violent tire shredding power through the corners on my way to work. If I take off as soon as the idle drops then she's an animal for the whole drive. Anyone else experience something similar?

I hope the constantly slow speeds here aren't killing my beast prematurely. Constantly in 3rd gear doing....wait for the laugh.....55KPH. That's about 30-40 mph for you guys in the U.S.

Old 03-18-2012 | 08:17 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DVUS CPRS
Last thing, that I can think of, if I let my car idle for too long after first start up, it seems to run....too.....normal. Like no violent tire shredding power through the corners on my way to work. If I take off as soon as the idle drops then she's an animal for the whole drive. Anyone else experience something similar?
Not sure about the other symptoms, but I do agree that how I drive immediately after a cold start-up seems to affect the car's behavior for the rest of my drive. MINI does state in the manual that we should drive these things as soon as we start 'em up and not allow them to idle, but how hard is another question.
Lately, I've been in the habit of keeping my shifts around 3,000 RPMs until I'm warmed up (175 deg. thanks to my Torque app). I don't want to push it too hard too soon, but the car seems to get sluggish otherwise.
I have a similar issue with my shifter. 6 speed with a NM short shifter adapter. Throws are a bit harder with the adapter, but some days it seems crunchier than others. Almost led to believe that it's smoother when I've let the car idle a little longer than usual. Of course, none of this is scientific.

Old 03-18-2012 | 08:54 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Mine stumbles at start up too

Old 03-18-2012 | 09:51 PM
skaufman
2nd Gear
Its only happend to me like 2 or 3 times in the year ive had mine but if I let it idle too long sometimes the idle drops to 5-600 rpm and it sounds like its about to die and then a few seconds later it will pick back up to normal idle.... idk fishy to me im just keeping a close eye on it thats all. and idk mine can start a little slow too especially if its cold of course. also ive heard that the push buttons (if thats what yours is) on a lot of models and car brands tend to start sluggish. I work at a professional detail center and ive noticed it from experience with many of these cars. though Im no expert, but hope I may have answered a ?

Old 03-19-2012 | 10:25 PM
DVUS CPRS
|
3rd Gear
Yea, mine is push button as well, and yes, it does drop the idle a bit lower than normal warm idle. Just for a quick second though. It has been a bit sputtery this week. Not sure why.