Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Strange warning light?exclamation point

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012 | 03:28 PM
thinkinmini
|
2nd Gear
Strange warning light?exclamation point

So before I started replacing my clutch, I started my mini one morning and the clock was reset to "--:--" and there was a yellow icon of what looked like a mini on a lift in that tachometer/data readout thing. Does this just mean that, per mileage recommendations, my mini is due for an inspection? Also the exclamation point that usually comes on when the car has hit the reserve within the gas tank, stays on constantly now. Is this just because the car has stored a CEL? Also can the dealer read the codes stored within my key fobs, or do they need to hook into the OBDII port to read them? I'm only asking since the car's in pieces and I will be up at the dealer getting some replacement parts anyway. Thanks for the help everybody.

Old 03-19-2012 | 05:20 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
how old is the battery? low battery will cause the clock reset.

Old 03-19-2012 | 06:47 PM
thinkinmini
|
2nd Gear
the battery is the original one from either 07 or 06 i guess depending on when it was manufactured. weird though my trucks got the original battery and its an 04 w/twice as many miles and its fine.

Old 03-19-2012 | 07:54 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
thinkinmini: I think you can take your key fob to the dealer and they can tell you the codes and probably what's wrong with your car.

Old 03-19-2012 | 07:59 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
My '07 MCS evidently decided he wants to be a Herbie and not only starts "talking" to me via chimes that won't turn off, but he randomly does the odd note via " --:--" and other "lights". The dealer keeps checking it out each time, but nothing shows up -- nothing wrong, nor "just different." The original battery DID need a bit of a recharge, though. I suspect it was because of my add-on tow hitch wiring, but ... ! For years it's been fine. Herbie. *sigh.

And yes, just take your fob to the dealer for them to check the codes. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2012 | 11:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
My '07 MCS evidently decided he wants to be a Herbie and not only starts "talking" to me via chimes that won't turn off, but he randomly does the odd note via " --:--" and other "lights". The dealer keeps checking it out each time, but nothing shows up -- nothing wrong, nor "just different." The original battery DID need a bit of a recharge, though. I suspect it was because of my add-on tow hitch wiring, but ... ! For years it's been fine. Herbie. *sigh.

And yes, just take your fob to the dealer for them to check the codes. Good luck.
All the indications you are seeing are ALL indications of a weak battery. Why the dealer does not know this is beyond me. But if you read thru the many posts on here of the "strange" things MINI's do when the battery is weak you will see that is what you most likely problem is.

These cars are VERY susceptible to weak batteries.

Also of note is that the OEM battery is of poor construction and many people have them replace in less than a year.

So I would suggest that you replace your battery. Most likely it will cause all your warnings etc to go away. I know it did on my car.

Old 03-20-2012 | 11:15 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kukaepe
thinkinmini: I think you can take your key fob to the dealer and they can tell you the codes and probably what's wrong with your car.
The fob will ONLY give them mileage and a few other little details but WILL NOT tell them what is wrong with the car.

Old 03-20-2012 | 12:19 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Changed my battery at 58K (07 MCS). Any weird lights went away and that was back in August 2011. I'm a firm believer that batteries are good
for about 5 years.

Old 03-20-2012 | 02:18 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
HIA SCHATZY! Long time. Not to highjack poor thinkinmini's thread, but when I suggested the dealership re-check the battery charge on mine/replace it, the $$ quote they gave me was almost $300. That included the battery, install, plus registration and the car's computer adjustments. How much of that is malarky? My '04 MCS had one battery change, but that was because my hubby neglected to start it for a whole year while I was deployed. It was D-E-A-D. And only cost me $94 (in Europe) to replace it myself.

Also, problems with the car -- i.e. warning and indicator lights -- showed up on the dealership's computers using just the fob. My car was purchased in Europe (US Specs) and it always pops up with an un-translated German "problem" as well as anything new. Except for the latest Herbie escapades. They kept it for three days and did tests, and didn't come up with anything. I haven't ruled out demanding a new battery.

Old 03-20-2012 | 04:33 PM
thinkinmini
|
2nd Gear
Well I went to the dealer and they wouldn't scan the fob, said it wouldn't show them any error codes or warning lights on the car. Guess I will get a free scan from Advance or w/e once the clutch is back in.

Old 03-20-2012 | 05:18 PM
bwood01
Neutral
I think you can take your key fob to the dealer and they can tell you the codes and probably what's wrong with your car.

Old 03-20-2012 | 07:49 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Oy, that's odd. I didn't think i was THAT gullible! I even saw the computer screen! I wonder why the difference?

Originally Posted by thinkinmini
Well I went to the dealer and they wouldn't scan the fob, said it wouldn't show them any error codes or warning lights on the car. Guess I will get a free scan from Advance or w/e once the clutch is back in.