Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help me before I buy a compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Edgpr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me before I buy a compressor

HI, I'm having a problem with my '04 MCS. This morning I smelled something burning and upon inspection of the engine I found my serpentine belt was coming to pieces. Innocently I went and bought a new belt and installed it. I checked all pulleys and everything seemed to turn just fine. With the new belt on, I go try the car and just a few blocks away same smell and belt starts coming off again. I took the car home and figured out that the belt spins fine with the AC off, but as soon as I turned the AC on, the belt slows down, stops and goes. The AC is also blowing hot air only. Am i looking here at a bad AC compressor? Any ideas before I go spend a fortune on a new one? Tx.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the belt off and hand turn all of the pulleys in the system. They should turn by hand with not more than a few pounds of turning force.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by CORNERS
Take the belt off and hand turn all of the pulleys in the system. They should turn by hand with not more than a few pounds of turning force.
Yes but the a/c compressor will be 'un clutched' and it sounds like his is seized and when the compressor clutches in ... no turnee . . .

You could go to any auto a/c place (decent mechanic/garage) and have them verify.

I wouldn't run the a/c for now . . .

OP was a couple of weeks ago - sorry I missed the first time around .... did you reseolve the issue?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Edgpr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, thanks for the response. It wasn't the compressor, I almost bought one. The compressor was turning fine after I removed the belt, even with clutch engaged. I found that the crank pulley / damper was bad. Ended up replacing that and it works fine now.