Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Almost laughable right now!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Curtiss Andersen
Well said, but I have a 04 srt4 with 68000 miles on it with no issues ever. Gets 30 plus on the highway and runs high 12's in the quarter mile (I still can add a 100 horse to it). Hands down my SRT4 is a much better car (except for handling).
srt4's are super nice, but that only has performance and gas mileage. Definitely not luxurious. Heated leather, navigation, panoramic sunroof, power fold mirrors, air conditioned glovebox, etc....I don't imagine those are options for the dodge.

I highly contemplated getting one of those before I got into the MINI world. Awesome cars. I feel like my next car will be something with similar function. Perhaps an s2000. I can't lie, I will definitely be looking for better reliability from my next vehicle.

EDIT: Didn't see that Blainestang already had my back on this one Exactly my thoughts.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will hit you up tomorrow and thanks.
Not a problem, though I'd suggest posting the codes up on here rather than just pming them to me. But yeah, most major auto parts chains will pull OBDII codes for you for free, and those codes will give you a good idea of what is going on with the car, plus they give you a leg to stand on if you have to argue with the dealer on what should be done to the car.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CKeffer
It might help with diagnosing the problem effectively rather than just throwing money at the dealership.
My brother has a OBDII scanner (VAG-COM for VW / Audi) that's in Casper.
He may be able to provide a generic scan to at least see if the ECU is picking up anything.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll provide some contact info.

- Erik

Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really like everything about my clubbie S EXCEPT the motor. And I do understand that the complainers are usually the loudest. But now I've heard that Mini has been voted one of the wort and most troublesome car on the market. Is that true?? I just decided to keep my '08 for the haul. Looks like I wouldnt have been able to sell it anyways without getting hit really hard. Disappointing news for sure

Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Curtiss Andersen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefox280
My brother has a OBDII scanner (VAG-COM for VW / Audi) that's in Casper.
He may be able to provide a generic scan to at least see if the ECU is picking up anything.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll provide some contact info.

- Erik
That would be great. 3072470407

Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tominizer
Really like everything about my clubbie S EXCEPT the motor. And I do understand that the complainers are usually the loudest. But now I've heard that Mini has been voted one of the wort and most troublesome car on the market. Is that true?? I just decided to keep my '08 for the haul. Looks like I wouldnt have been able to sell it anyways without getting hit really hard. Disappointing news for sure

Just 113 problems per 100 cars..... no biggie......... That's for 2007 MCS - same year and model the OP bought.......

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/con...ver-2012-02-28

The analysis of 2011 survey data revealed an overall improvement in used-car reliability from almost all automakers with Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Hyundai, Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler showing the most notable gains (a minimum of 10 percentage points) compared to Consumer Reports' 2002 results.

BMW landed at the bottom of the 2011 list with only about 70 percent of its used cars being trouble-free, which is better than the 2002 survey average of 68 percent.

Consumer Reports chose three-year-old vehicles most of which are coming off warranty and when owners begin to assume the cost of ongoing repairs. By age three, most models also have the steepest part of depreciation behind them, so used-car buyers will find it a good age on which to focus.

In its analysis of used cars, Consumer Reports also tracked extremes from 2007 models - five models that started out with few problems and stayed reliable as they turned five years old and five models that started out with a few more problems and got much worse over time. The 2007 Toyota Prius averaged six problems per 100 cars in its first year and 26 at age five; the Mini Cooper S hatchback averaged nine per 100 cars in the first year and 113 by age five.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So far I have owned 07 Mini Cooper S for about a year. I have had the Mini in the shop in Loveland CO three times for engine light (little to no boost) and poor gas mileage!...24 mpg with engine light and 29 mpg without

If you bought a cooper S expecting 30+ gas mileage, you bought the wrong car. 29MPG is EXCELLENT average mileage for a MCS. I average 28mpg from driving civilly, and 23-25mpg when I have a spirited foot. I'm plenty happy that I get mid 20's from beating on my car.

First visit: I was told, "Try using 88 octane gas"

Is this the best gas you have in WY? If you're being suggested what type of gas to try, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't use top tier gas. Its a turbo car, it requires high quality and octane gas. Lots of argument about this, so take it with a grain of salt. But using non top tier with uncommon additives/no additives/dirty fuel lines etc can certainly f up your fuel pump.

Second visit: Replaced fuel pump.

See above

Third visit: Replaced MAF and water pump.

This seems like prodding and guessing. Could you provide us with what CEL's you got? Not sure how the MAF and water pump could be related?
Are they just trying to replace parts to solve this issue of getting low boost? If its an '07 it could be simple enough as your inlet hose gasket has given out from the heat cycles and hardened up, providing you with a nice boost leak. It could be a hose clamp, that was tightened up every time you brought it in, thus providing good running for a few weeks until it loosened up again.

Theres no reason to replace a MAF out of nowhere.. was cleaning it ever attempted before blindly replacing it?

You talk about a SRT-4 and adding another 100hp to it.. but it seems you aren't aware of your own car maintenance/problem solving, and instead have someone make that power for you, and you expect to drive it perfectly. If you want an econobox that can run 12's, then yes the SRT-4 can certainly do that for you. Many cars can. But at the end of the day you're still in a NEON.

I drive my car aggressively every day, and do my own maintenance and preventative maintenance to it. I have not had any ridiculous issues that I wasn't able to figure out and fix myself on the cheap.

Seems like paying $1500 for these fixes that clearly haven't lead to fixing your ORIGINAL issue (again, which may be an easy $50 fix of an intake tube), is just an uninformed car "enthusiast" that expects to drive their car every day without paying any attention to maintenance.

Curious how many rattles the SRT-4 has.

If you want reliable and no maintenance get a honda or a toyota.

Money spent so far $1500.00. Everytime I have the mini worked on it runs great for a month or two then without rhyme or reason engine light comes on and preformance gone. A "GEO" could destroy that car in performance.
This likely applies to your car only. To add insult I live in Casper WY and I have to drive the mini to Loveland CO just to get it worked on. I have three words to say FIXED>> "MY MINI's JUNK" "HELP ME FIND A HONDA"

See answers in bold italics. I'm more than willing to help here, but coming here to crap on the car without trying to find information on how to fix the issue you're having will get you the same bold responses. Let me know if you're looking for help to actually fix the car. I'll be more than willing to help.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Look at the other thread on this page about the $140 selenoid valve solving his problem after the dealer had rebuilt his engine and replaced everything under the sun.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I need to find out if we have that valve on our north American cars and where the F!!! its located, as well as what it does.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Look at the other thread on this page about the $140 selenoid valve solving his problem after the dealer had rebuilt his engine and replaced everything under the sun.
this thread here - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ault-code.html

as it will not always be on this page of threads

Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Don't know where you get that from but it was the same engine, turbo, trans etc that went into the 2008-2010 models. Yes it was a new design for the MINI but again the "Reality" is that it is now worse than most of the cars out there.

Just look at the Honda and Toyota forums and they are chock full of people making the same types of complaints as you find in this forum.
I fully agree with you on this. My 07, bought used with 57K has only had 2 issues. Thermostat leaked and timing chain, both at around 60K. I figured being used I'd have a couple of issues but that is it. Total spent(no warranty) $900. Now at 65,400 and running strong.
I think alot of issues come about (on used Mini S's) due to prior owner
neglect.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
I received the generic scanner info last night:

* MINI DTC P115C (0x2775 or 0x2B56 or 0x2B58 or 0x2B5C) - Mass Air Volume Flow 'A' Too Low
The ECU is still seeing too small of inlet volume of air passing the MAF.
Which means there could be an opening / leak after the MAF allowing unmetered air to enter the engine.

Have you completed any intake system leak checks? A pressure or smoke test of the intake system is a good viable test.
Verified that the plastic valve cover doesn't have any cracks / leaks / internal issues?

- Erik

Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Something as simple as unknowingly buying fuel w/ethanol can cause all sorts of problems and certainly using too low of an octane rating.
For a year or so I thought I was buying ok stuff and had all sorts of issues with CEL, black smoke, stumbles and such until I found a great independent garage who showed me the true path to happiness. An initially heavy push of BG44K and now a 5000 mile dose has made a world of difference too.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 AM
pilotguy1050
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by amancuso
So glad I didn't opt for the S for a long term car. :( for all you fast S owners though.
I was thinking that myself... I think that my JUSTA is fine for me, and I hope that not having all that extra "power" will be better in the longevity department. I know the MPG is better in the 'slow lane'.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Curtiss Andersen
1st Gear
Theres no reason to replace a MAF out of nowhere.. was cleaning it ever attempted before blindly replacing it?

*Dealer said it need to be done and as for the water pump it was in need of being replaced for free. Yes I know the water pump has nothing to do with it. WOW really.

But at the end of the day you're still in a NEON.

*I love how people end with this quote. Classic originality. I will not get into a pissing contest about my SRT. You just think you know what I know.

I have not had any ridiculous issues that I wasn't able to figure out and fix myself on the cheap.

*Congrads on your success. I will be sure to brush up on my DYI skills for mini's just for you DAD.

Is just an uninformed car "enthusiast" that expects to drive their car every day without paying any attention to maintenance.

*This one is great! I have four cars and I drive them all equally. If the Mini would just run normally I might drive it more. The freakin thing collects more dust than anything. And I REPEAT, "I will be sure to brush up on my DYI skills for mini's just for you DAD."

Curious how many rattles the SRT-4 has.

*ONE...when it finally hooks up in second gear and all of the stuff in my glove box moves to the latch.

If you want reliable and no maintenance get a honda or a toyota.

*No thanks. If you're not married or have a girl friend I think it could be that your are a little senstive when it comes to Mini's. Go outside and pet your mini and tell her I am sorry.

Get your popcorn ready this **** is too good.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Curtiss Andersen
1st Gear
Thanks to bluefox he hooked me up with getting my mini checked out. Nice guy unlike some that like to hear themselves talk instead of just shutting up and try to help.
*P115C*

Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Curtiss Andersen
1st Gear
I received the generic scanner info last night:

* MINI DTC P115C (0x2775 or 0x2B56 or 0x2B58 or 0x2B5C) - Mass Air Volume Flow 'A' Too Low
The ECU is still seeing too small of inlet volume of air passing the MAF.
Which means there could be an opening / leak after the MAF allowing unmetered air to enter the engine.

Have you completed any intake system leak checks? A pressure or smoke test of the intake system is a good viable test.
Verified that the plastic valve cover doesn't have any cracks / leaks / internal issues?

- Erik
I think he was your bother. Class act. Thanks a million I hope to keep in touch with him and check out his VW Rabbit. I will get on this weekend to see if I can find anything.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup definitely sounds like you have a leak after the MAF. I'd check the intake connection at the turbo, as well as generally looking over the Intake pipe for cracks.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
I think he was your bother. Class act. Thanks a million I hope to keep in touch with him and check out his VW Rabbit. I will get on this weekend to see if I can find anything.
Correct, Pete (known as Atomic on several boards) did the scan, and relayed that information to me.
I'll let him know it was greatly appreciated.

Hope we can help you get up and running very soon!

- Erik

Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Curtiss Andersen
1st Gear
Correct, Pete (known as Atomic on several boards) did the scan, and relayed that information to me.
I'll let him know it was greatly appreciated.

Hope we can help you get up and running very soon!

- Erik
Atomic...love it I will save Pete's number to that name.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 AM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Help me

Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
See answers in bold italics. I'm more than willing to help here, but coming here to crap on the car without trying to find information on how to fix the issue you're having will get you the same bold responses. Let me know if you're looking for help to actually fix the car. I'll be more than willing to help.

SooperCuper' have question for you; I recently had timing chain issue addressed at an independent shop and got my car back and it has absolutely no power below 2000 RPM; a sweet little old lady driving an AMC gremlin could take me off the line. I took the car back to them and they said that my crankshaft or camsahft sensor needed replacing so I had them do that. Repair ticket reads intake cam sensor. Better but still not fun to drive like before timing chain got worked on.

Reading forums somebody mentioned could be MAF sensor; I took that off appeared to be clean but used MAF sensor cleaner anyway. Still the same.

Found another post stating that could be a SOLV on back of engine, thanks BlueFox280 for posting pick, I will check that out today if I have time. At work watching cement dry. Boring right, it pays the bills.

Anyway back on topic SooperCuper if there is anything else I can check myself let me know. I can do my own repairs just did not want to tackle the timing chain issue. And not sure if I want to keep taking it back and forth to independent shop.

On another note I do need to schedule appointment to have some service done soon.