Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

I'm Leakin' Oil!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Leakin' Oil!

OK, so I pulled the passenger side of my 03 MCS apart (112,000 miles) to put on my new WMW pulley, and I discovered this:

I have an oil leak somewhere. Not sure where. But it's all over the passenger side of the engine. Last time I changed the oil I saw some on that side near the pan, so I figured it was the pan leaking. This is much worse than that... Any ideas?

There's somethin' happening here... What it is ain't exactly clear.... So stop baby what's that sound, everybody look what's going down...

Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
I checked around the valve cover and the filter housing - doesn't appear to be coming from either one... Just replaced the valve cover gasket last year.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 AM
EdwardIII
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh my!

At the risk of being obvious, clean off the oil and watch for the initial emergence of the leak daily. By the by, oil on the rubber boots degrades them so clean the engine! How long did it take to get that much accumulation? Are you using oil - i.e. burning it?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
I never noticed this much oil, until I pulled the passenger side wheel surround to do my supercharger pulley.

Like I said, I saw a tiny bit when I changed the oil last. I haven't noticed a significant loss of oil, so it's just odd. The stuff if thick and sludgy. I can't find the source.

I will clean up the boots as best I can. What a pain in the butt.

Found this - http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...g/46842/page1/

Hope it's not that.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
Prob. not this buy since it's back there it's worth a try, make sure the chain tensioner bolt hasn't loosened up, usually doesn't happen because of it's spring washer, but if nothing else it's one more thing you can cross off the list.

And your positive it's not slung grease from the axle boot or a leaking trans/axle seal?

Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
Mine is doing this also, less greasy looking, more oily. I think it is the oil pump. I have to add a quart every ~4k.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Looks like it may be comming from the heat exchanger. There are a couple of gaskets/o-rings that seal it to the filter housing that could leak.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
+1, I forgot all about that.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 AM
EdwardIII
1st Gear
Thick and sludgy!

Hmm, your recenty comment about the "oil" being thick and sludgy makes me wonder if it isn't grease from the CV joints. I had a split in the boots around my CV joints on my 02 VW and it threw grease all over the engine bottom. I thought I was leaking oil at first and thenm realized when I cleaned the boots that they had split. Clean the boots and check their condition - I'll bet its grease!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 PM
PorscheMini
2nd Gear
Did you disconnect the lower motor mount, or has it just been hanging there like that forever?(pics 2-5)

Old 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do the easy thing first....

Clean off the oil, then replace the crank sensor o-ring. I'll bet that fixes your leak.

I doubt it's the oil pan gasket.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwardIII
Hmm, your recenty comment about the "oil" being thick and sludgy makes me wonder if it isn't grease from the CV joints. I had a split in the boots around my CV joints on my 02 VW and it threw grease all over the engine bottom. I thought I was leaking oil at first and thenm realized when I cleaned the boots that they had split. Clean the boots and check their condition - I'll bet its grease!
All suggestions are good, but the first thing I would check is that boot for a split. Go easy because when they are old you can put your finger through them and cause the split you were looking for.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
I'm with MINICONCARNE...betting on the so-called heat exchanger/oil cooler pack. Go on REALOEM.com and look at the exploded view for parts break-down.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Do the easy thing first....

Clean off the oil, then replace the crank sensor o-ring. I'll bet that fixes your leak.

I doubt it's the oil pan gasket.
Naw, the crank sensor is on the front of the engine, it may be leaking, but not in the pics.

Originally Posted by HRM
All suggestions are good, but the first thing I would check is that boot for a split. Go easy because when they are old you can put your finger through them and cause the split you were looking for.
I'm starting to think it is the boot as well, kinda looks like oil and grease. Multiple issues? Dave.O has the quick fingers!

Last edited by miniconcarne; 04-01-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Jinx
Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've seen oil from the cranksensor follow the oil pan flange around to the sides and back of the engine and get blown all around, that's why I suggested clean it first and repair the easy thing - then see where you're at.

i would check the CV boots too.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EdwardIII
this is an excellent catch. I don't see a split, but that's what I think. This is more of a grease like substance. And it does seem to be coming from below, not from the top. The only problem is, I AM a 1/2 quart low on oil and I just changed it 1.2K miles ago (a little less than a month)...

I can tell you that the passenger side has had a bit of a squeak to it in recent months when turning the wheel - I just haven't had a chance to get it into the shop... A leak in the CV joint could be consistent with this noise, no?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave.0
Maybe old CV Grease and some oil from the leaking O ring on your oil cooler / heat exchanger.

Low power (other thread) could be oil on your new belt if you did not clean everything before you put on your new belt.
I did clean everything as best I could. I am going to update that thread with some new info.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:40 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PorscheMini
Did you disconnect the lower motor mount, or has it just been hanging there like that forever?(pics 2-5)
I was in the middle of a pulley install - and I replaced that mount with the BSH one. I stopped a moment to take these pictures after I pulled the passenger side wheel well cover and saw all the black stuff.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
I mentioned this elsewhere, but didn't know if it meant anything - could be related to the CV joint issue...

When I had the car up on jack stands so I could do the work, I notices that I could turn the front wheels from side to side (as if I was turning the car) pretty easily. I was also able to rotate the passenger wheel fairly freely, even though the parking brake was on and the car was in first gear.

Further more, when putting the passenger wheel back on, I noted that the rotor was actually rotating as I was trying to spin the wheel to line up the lug bolt holes. Is this all normal stuff??? I admit I am pretty handy with tools, but I am not a mechanic or a car expert. So I don't know all of this stuff.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a set bolt in the rotor that always snaps, that is why the rotor moves. Find the 5th hole and you can see where the screw goes. They are cheap if it is just missing.

Parking brake only does rear wheels.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
There is a set bolt in the rotor that always snaps, that is why the rotor moves. Find the 5th hole and you can see where the screw goes. They are cheap if it is just missing.

Parking brake only does rear wheels.
thanks. The set screw might have been sheered off then. I don't think I saw a fifth hole, but I do recall seeing a round divot looking thing that could have been the remains of a set screw.

As for the park brake thing I never knew that. Wow I feel dumb.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:12 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I've seen oil from the cranksensor follow the oil pan flange around to the sides and back of the engine and get blown all around, that's why I suggested clean it first and repair the easy thing - then see where you're at.

i would check the CV boots too.
Wow, good to know.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
I saw more oil tonight by the PS pump if that helps...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Noir2005
3rd Gear
You should go down to you local NAPA and ask for engine oil dye. Clean up the block as best as you can, pour in, drive a couple days, or until you see oil, and use a black light. Follow the path of the oil, and that should give you a better idea of where it's coming from. I think maybe your valve cover may be cracked, or the gasket may be bad/damaged. just cause something is replaced, doesn't always mean it's fine, you can get defective parts, or improper install can cause that as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Noir2005
You should go down to you local NAPA and ask for engine oil dye. Clean up the block as best as you can, pour in, drive a couple days, or until you see oil, and use a black light. Follow the path of the oil, and that should give you a better idea of where it's coming from. I think maybe your valve cover may be cracked, or the gasket may be bad/damaged. just cause something is replaced, doesn't always mean it's fine, you can get defective parts, or improper install can cause that as well.
I hear you on the defective parts or improper install. I just don't see a path of oil that goes up to the back of the engine anywhere near the valve cover. And a visual inspection of the valve cover shows no faults or leaks at the seal.

Maybe the "oil leak" isn't an oil leak at all? Maybe I just spilled a lot of oil last time I removed the filter??? Who knows. I cleaned it up and will keep an eye on it.