Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Is my clutch gone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012 | 12:04 PM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
Is my clutch gone?

Hey Guys

So was out on a little strip on the weekend and may have messed up my clutch

So now when pulling off in first the car is a bit jerky be it in sport mode or not. The revs seem a bit higher than normal when trying to engage its really difficult to explain.

So my question is the 2007 model self adjusting if not what will be needed to adjust this baby.

Failing that I am guessing I am going to have to drop the gearbox and inspect the clutch (not looking forward to this part)

Would it require removing the front end or can it be worked on as it in other words car on jacks and gearbox loosened as per the old school way?

Old 04-02-2012 | 12:12 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Disconnect mounts and drop the transmission with enough room for a transmission jack to lower and remove. Jackstands might not be tall enough.

Old 04-03-2012 | 05:33 AM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
So basically I don't need to remove the front end just the gearbox mounting and cv?

Old 04-03-2012 | 09:35 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
You do have to remove the front subframe, but something tells me you might of already noticed that poking around the underside of your car.

Old 04-03-2012 | 10:15 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
The clutch actuation is hydraulic, so yes, it's self adjusting.

Old 04-09-2012 | 05:24 AM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
Thanks guys for all the help, so finally got to drop it over the weekend and boy oh boy was it hard work, and a lot of problems I saw along the way :(

So I really need your guys help on this and honest opinions.

Being that I am not able to get to a dealer or order the parts within a reasonable time scale I wondered what you views were on reconditioning the clutch plate and the pressure plate.

I understand the dual mass fly wheel is a hit and miss with a lot of companies saying it can and can't be done.

I tested the free play on the DMF and it still feels quite good having seen some videos on youtube.

I will attach some pics of the 3 culprits and love to hear your feedback.

Old 04-09-2012 | 07:52 AM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
Here are some photos more to come

Attached Thumbnails Is my clutch gone?-clutch.jpg   Is my clutch gone?-photo1.jpg   Is my clutch gone?-photo2.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012 | 07:53 AM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
and the remainder

Attached Thumbnails Is my clutch gone?-photo3.jpg   Is my clutch gone?-photo4.jpg   Is my clutch gone?-photo5.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012 | 09:38 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
That is way toasted. Time for a new everything, it looks like! The wear on the clutch disk is quite disturbing, I would expect much more even wear. Could the center of the disk be mis-aligned with the rest of it? Or could there be a problem with the input shaft splines? It looks like one side of the disk is pretty normal (from the small pic). The other side looks to be worn down all the way through the friction material but only on half of it!

The flywheel looks blued by heat. It's toast. Not sure about the pressure plate, but if everything else has taken that much abuse I'd bet the PP is done as well.

Look for something wrong in the clutch assembly. That uneven wear is NOT normal!

Old 04-09-2012 | 10:06 AM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
Well could it have been due to the gearbox mounting having collapsed and me not realizing it. It was sitting loose for while I guess and I would take it on a tilt?

Once again it is used so I am not sure what the previous owner did to it as in abuse.

Old 04-09-2012 | 02:07 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
The gearbox should be solidly mounted to the engine, with a more-flexible mount between the trans and the chassis of the car. If the connection between the engine and transmission is solid, the alignment of the two should stay constant with respect to each other. I would continue checking into things if it's just the hydraulic or rubber (not sure on our cars!) mount that collapsed.

Old 04-09-2012 | 10:17 PM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
Loose

Originally Posted by themarques
Well could it have been due to the gearbox mounting having collapsed and me not realizing it. It was sitting loose for while I guess and I would take it on a tilt?

Once again it is used so I am not sure what the previous owner did to it as in abuse.
When you say loose, when you began the removal were all the tranny bell-housing bolts tight to the engine? The only thing wrong was a bad mount?

From the looks of what you have you have a new clutch in your plans to get this done correctly, how many miles are on the car at this time, assuming these are the total miles on a stock clutch?

Strange as others have said, to see such erratic and uneven wear on a clutch disk, although severe hard spotting that you have could induce a warped flywheel and maybe even the pressure plate, if the previous owner had abused the clutch as it appears it has been put to some frequent high rpm starts and even some terrible downshifts too, hope you get the parts you need to get back on the road ASAP!

Good luck to you and good job at tackling this job!!

Old 04-15-2012 | 08:21 AM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
Hey guys sorry for the late reply been bogged down with work and trying to figure out the best way around this.

The tranny bell housing were mostly tight except the top two or three close to the starter motor were loose.

Also as mentioned the gearbox mounting had broken through and obviously meant the box was sitting on an angle for a fair bit.

The car has 35,000 miles on it so my guess is the previous owner really gave it the beans.

Well no point crying over spilt milk, I have decided to move forward with the repair. Seeing as funds are a bit tight and a new clutch kit including DMF is going to set me back a couple a grand, I decided to to see what the refurbing the parts would cost.

I have so far managed to get the flywheel skeemed and smoothed out, I have also had the original plate on the pressure plate removed and replaced with another cast iron plate which has alot more meat and has also been skeemed flat. And alas the clutch plate was refurbed and fibered back up.

So all the parts look good to go back in, the workmanship was very good in my opinion just wanted to get some views from you guys on what you think the possible problems that could occour from refurbing all the parts.

Old 04-15-2012 | 11:05 AM
BoostMe
2nd Gear
It's always an alternative, yet keep in mind the spots on the surfaces which were blued became hard spots and resurfacing them only cleans them up and if overheated they can bring them right back, yet the clutch will provide many miles of use, enjoy the budget build, nice to see the initiative to get down and do it! Post up some photo's of your progress, always nice to see!

Old 04-18-2012 | 09:42 AM
themarques
|
2nd Gear
Here are some photos more to come
Hey guys can you please help me out I forgot which side of the clutch plate faces the flywheel? there is a section with a protruding **** and on the reverse its flat?

Could you please tell me which side goes where I am so tired right about now

Old 04-23-2012 | 12:22 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
If that's a twin mass flywheel, you can't resurface it. You need a new one. The blue spots due to heat damage have affected the hardness of the metal deeper than the surface layer. If you reinstall that skimmed DMF, you'll have problems again in very short measure.

I had the same issue (with photos):
http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-club...seal-deal.html

Hey guys can you please help me out I forgot which side of the clutch plate faces the flywheel? there is a section with a protruding **** and on the reverse its flat?

Could you please tell me which side goes where I am so tired right about now