Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

What is making this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperjunkie
Honestly I can't hear alot from the vid. at least not the sound i'm talkin about. Here's an update though. I have noticed that when i first start the car and pull out of the garage in the morning i instantly hear it as i'm letting out on the clutch and letting the increased rpm's pull the car out. I'm not even touching the gas. Just lettin out on the clutch.
Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Not yet. I have a service appointment scheduled for May 19th. I will let you know the outcome. It noticable enough though that as i was backing out of my parents garage the other night my dad asked what that noise was. Again, i was not touching the gas. Just letting out on the clutch and letting the car pull itself.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Well I had to end up pushing my appointment back to June 9th. I will update as soon as I know. I do know that the sound is getting more noticable. Hopefully whatever it is holds out for another week and a half if it is a breakable part.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 PM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
**Update** I took the car in on saturday to have the sound diagnosed along with some other isssues. As expected I got a call back this morning saying that they can't hear any abnormal sound. At this point i asked my coworker if i could take his auto cooper s out (mine is manual) and see if his makes the same sound. I drove it for 5 mins not hearing the sound. I decided to bog the engine down by manually shifting to 4th at about 20mph and accelerating. Sure enough there was the same clackity sound but very muted compaired to mine. I went back to work and called the SA to inform him of what i discovered and how to probably get the car to make the sound so they would know what to listen for. 2 hours later I get a call back that the tech had gone out and bogged the engine on mine as well as a preownd 09 on the lot and indeed heard the sound. His recommendation was to stress to me that I don't bog the engine because he believed it was the factory BOV releasing pressure! REALLY! NO *****. I know not to bog the engine. I explained that I don't make a habit of boggin the engine but when i let of the gas to go around a curve, let the car in front of me turn, or whatever and then give it gas again I get the loud clackity sound. The car isn't going slow enough to need to downshift. I just suggested boggin it so that they would for sure here the sound and know what to listen for and that it does it all the way through my neighborhood. Several curves. As of now they are keeping it tonight to drive it again in the morning and listen for the sound again. Looks like I will be driving to Cinci tomorrow morning to take the tech for a drive and show them what I'm talking about.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
So I went and drove the tech around in my car today and he insists that this is a normal sound do to the turbo engine. All I know is that I never heard it until the past few months. Not really sure what to do now so........

Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
So after more driving and listening and trying to figure this out I'm thinking that it is coming from the turbo. Could the wastegate be making the ticking clacking sound. It only happens for a few seconds when i initially start the car and then under partial throttle until the car gets good and hot. This is driving me crazy and I need to figure it out before my 1500 miles of remaining warranty are gone. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
So now it is doing it weather the car is hot or cold. Today i was driving in front of some stores and then later through town between the buildings on Main and when I slowed to go over the speed bumps in front of the stores within 2 seconds of pushin on the gas pedel there was the sound. And in town, a car turned in front of me off Main and I was in 4th just putin along. Within seconds of pushing on the gas there was the sound. Went under an overpass today and hit the gas in 4th or 5th and with in seconds there it was. It is definately related to the speed of the turbo as I can feel the turbo doing its job as the sound appears. ANY ideas? i mean should a turbo be making a plastic fluttering/clackity sound as its spools up. I'm thinking not. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!! i don't even turn on the radio now cause i'm so obsessed with figuring this out and what makes it happen.