Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Heater only blows warm air

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater only blows warm air

Yesterday when it got a little cold, I turned on the heat only to find out it never got warm even after 10 minutes of driving. Noticed the coolant was low so I topped it off this morning and sure enough it sill never got hot, still feels cold to my face..
Last time I used the heat in February it worked just fine. I know im not going crazy because usually the heat kicks in after about 7 minutes even when it's below 20 degrees..
Really wanna know what is going on

Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Partially blocked heater core/thermostat or other blockage if you've topped up coolant level and bled it properly. Otherwise it's a failing water pump/water pump drive.

Jeremy

Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jhiggs26
Partially blocked heater core/thermostat or other blockage if you've topped up coolant level and bled it properly. Otherwise it's a failing water pump/water pump drive.

Jeremy
Could be that blockage I guess, how would I correct that, or test thermostat?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Try this some am...
Start the car....fan and radio off...
And listen....windows closed....just at idle...
See if you barely hear a slight gurgling or mini waterfall sound....
If you do,then it is99% likely when the coolant got low, air got trapped in the heater core....and it should be bleed....heck anytime it goes to below min, it tends to suck air in....a buble of big enough can cause overheating...but small just gets stuck in the heatercore....dealers even had this issue on bleeding gen1 cars....tgey can be a pain..2 bleed locations...one by the rad, second is kinda behind the aircleaner if i remember right....

Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
PS
Remember mini does NOT USE longlife coolant...so it does need to be drained and refiled every few years...2 or maybe 4 at the max depending on use....my routine...every 2 i drop the lower rad hose...drain, then simply refill....gets maybe 70% of coolant out. Well matained systems should not have a sedimit/rust buildup....neglicted systems may need a flush.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Try this some am...
Start the car....fan and radio off...
And listen....windows closed....just at idle...
See if you barely hear a slight gurgling or mini waterfall sound....
If you do,then it is99% likely when the coolant got low, air got trapped in the heater core....and it should be bleed....heck anytime it goes to below min, it tends to suck air in....a buble of big enough can cause overheating...but small just gets stuck in the heatercore....dealers even had this issue on bleeding gen1 cars....tgey can be a pain..2 bleed locations...one by the rad, second is kinda behind the aircleaner if i remember right....
Hmmm I hear a gurgling noise and it's definitely NOT faint

Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
PS
Remember mini does NOT USE longlife coolant...so it does need to be drained and refiled every few years...2 or maybe 4 at the max depending on use....my routine...every 2 i drop the lower rad hose...drain, then simply refill....gets maybe 70% of coolant out. Well matained systems should not have a sedimit/rust buildup....neglicted systems may need a flush.
Yea I ha changed out the fluid in Oct, which was a huge fiasco, posted thread about it...