Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Can I clear a CEL without a scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I clear a CEL without a scan tool?

Background:

After my trip to the Ring yesterday I decided to do a little checking on things. I pulled the air filter and housing for a good cleaning and figured I'd try and knock out the noisemaker delete while I was in there. Well, suffice it to say, MINI didn't feel like making this easy and at 7PM and having to be up at 5 for work I didn't want to fart around with it. I buttoned her up and on the drive to work this morning the car started bucking and my first thought was I forgot to reconnect the MAF harness. Maybe 12-15 km into the drive the car bucked once pretty good and my CEL came on solid. I got to work, popped the hood and saw that the c-clip that holds the charge air pipe in right above the y-junction for the noise-maker didn't engage the pipe and it had slipped off causing a HUGE boost leak. I fixed it right then and then proceeded to kick my own *** for not doing it right the first time.

Question:

Will this CEL clear on it's own or if I disconnect the battery? I ask because when I did my HU install I found out my car has a FIFTY-pin cable between the CD player and the speedo so I wasn't able to retain it. If I have to take it to the dealer then I'll have to pull the Alpine out and leave it out until the car gets to Texas in June as it needs to be on a boat on the 24th. Yes, in 8 days. Gotta love that timeing, right? I have no way to even read the codes to find out what, specifically, it's seeing so it'll HAVE to go to the dealer, assuming they can get me in in the first place.

Thanks all.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have put everything back together and there are no other problems then the notification for the code should go away. I.E. the light will go off.

The code will be stored for the problem just to let the techs know that at one point the car did produce a code. But will not affect the drive-ability or response of the car.

When you pick up the car in the states any of the national auto parts stores should be able to check the code for you. Some will clear them others will not.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweeet. Luckily I have a guy in my club that can clear it bu I had to rip the dash apart to put the OEM radio back in last night so we could. Oh well, shouldn't take long to get the Alpine back in later. lmao

I think I need to invest in a BT tool.