Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Where do you get your replacement parts from?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012 | 08:03 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Where do you get your replacement parts from?

Need to source a new driver side (left) axle shaft... OEM @ dealer is well over $600, parts.com has OEM for 460+70 shipping, so 530.

Theres tons of R52/53 aftermarket axle shafts online for a mere $100, but nothing for the R56. I'd really rather not drop 500 on a half shaft when almost any other car out there can replace them for $1-250.. many of which are OEM (yes, including german cars, so don't say its "because its MINI, european parts are expensive"). I've owned a MB and Audi before this so I know expensive maintenance, but it still doesn't justify $500 for a replacement half shaft for a blown inner cv joint. haha

Anyone?

Old 04-20-2012 | 08:27 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Try these guys: http://imbmparts.com/bmw-parts/
They got me my JCW exhaust for 25% off of dealer list.

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:22 AM
booktrout
3rd Gear
Some of the 1st gen guys are having problems with after market axles, specifically "FEQ" brand.

Here is the thread.

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:26 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by booktrout
Some of the 1st gen guys are having problems with after market axles, specifically "FEQ" brand.

Here is the thread.
I'll second that. I presumed OP meant OEM parts, or I would have mentioned that as well. I'd go with junkyard axles before any Chinese part.

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:26 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
DETROIT TUNED!!

They might as well be my neighbors. A very nice feature of living in Clinton Township, Michigan

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:30 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I use Sewell Parts, enter your name during logon and you always get a great deal on parts. I bet they can beat that price you got from the dealer.

Old 04-20-2012 | 11:05 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
I'll second that. I presumed OP meant OEM parts, or I would have mentioned that as well. I'd go with junkyard axles before any Chinese part.
Funny you mention this... I was just looking on ebay and seemed to have found a lot of used axles from junk'd cars...

$120 shipped for a MT S driver side axle on a car that had rear end collision damage and 62k miles. Mileage is a bit high, but might be worth it compared to the $520 new from parts.com...

Would you guys get a used axle off a junk car? My car has 72k miles. passenger side has not had any problems.

Reason the driver side went is the boot clamp slipped and grease came out, tried fixing the boot but may have been too late as I get heavy vibration under load now.

Old 04-20-2012 | 11:06 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I use Sewell Parts, enter your name during logon and you always get a great deal on parts. I bet they can beat that price you got from the dealer.

I would never consider the dealer, but parts.com does beat msrp prices, but at $520, its still a lot.

Also, there aren't any aftermarket brands available for a 6MT driver side S.

The only R56 one out there is a passenger side for AT, from A1 Cardone

Old 04-20-2012 | 11:10 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
Try these guys: http://imbmparts.com/bmw-parts/
They got me my JCW exhaust for 25% off of dealer list.
Thanks, funny enough they seem to have the exact same UI embedded into their site as parts.com. Almost seems like they're a distributor for parts.com. anyways, It lists the same price as parts.com, however their shipping is $15 less, so, they win for now if I decide to go OEM new.

Old 04-20-2012 | 11:24 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SooperCuperErik
Would you guys get a used axle off a junk car?
I did for both sides when I did my tranny swap. Like you, I had an inner boot sealing issue on the big end (I did the boot myself - so my fault). By the time I caught it, the joint wore a bit. No noise, but there is a little slack between shifts. I bought a $100.00 Empi with a lifetime warranty. That lasted about 5k, and now the inner on THAT is slack. I'm debating on trying my luck with the warranty (will probably have to pay shipping), or just getting another used axle.

I bought my car used, and really don't have an issue with putting certain used parts on it, if it makes sense. But I do all my own service, so if a part fails, I'm not paying labor again, not to mention the hassle of dropping off car, arranging for rides, etc.

Old 04-20-2012 | 11:59 AM
SooperCuperErik
|
4th Gear
I did for both sides when I did my tranny swap. Like you, I had an inner boot sealing issue on the big end (I did the boot myself - so my fault). By the time I caught it, the joint wore a bit. No noise, but there is a little slack between shifts. I bought a $100.00 Empi with a lifetime warranty. That lasted about 5k, and now the inner on THAT is slack. I'm debating on trying my luck with the warranty (will probably have to pay shipping), or just getting another used axle.

I bought my car used, and really don't have an issue with putting certain used parts on it, if it makes sense. But I do all my own service, so if a part fails, I'm not paying labor again, not to mention the hassle of dropping off car, arranging for rides, etc.
They carry aftermarket axles for the R56? Or are you talking about an R53?

I figure for $400 less than a new OEM part, and with a clutch slowly on its way out, that $400 could be VERY useful in a few months.

I do all my own work too, so worse case here is I'm out $120 for the axle (or I can exchange it) and $10 for a new C clip and axle nut.

Old 04-23-2012 | 12:50 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
I haven't had to buy any parts for my MINI yet, but I've been happy with parts for my Land Rover from both www.partsgeek.com and www.rockauto.com.