Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Big Puddle - Yellow Light - Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
onemcs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Puddle - Yellow Light - Help

So its been raining here a lot in the UK and puddles are forming everywhere! Some huge to say the least.

I drove through a massive puddle which was down a country lane and as soon as i exited the puddle the yellow light came on

"Engine Warning. Reduced power mode"

I've left it for 2 hours but still nothing. Seems when I put my foot down it splutters when the turbo normally kicks in!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Its a Mini Cooper S 2007 R56

Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Sounds like you sucked in some water....

Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 AM
lukwen
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind where the alternator is located on the mini the only thing that protects it is a splash shied so it is somewhat exposed to things down there. really if it was still running that pretty good. My answer is alternator because the voltage regulator on it is attached to the back unlike most common alternators. I would replace the alternator under warrenty or do it myself that is most likey the problem. And buy a skid shield for the future to cover all that up. If you live somewhere where it rains all the time. That is exactly what I am gonna do for that problem you stated. Now I feel bad that someone went through that.
I want you to reply with the details.
Now read this
1. in 2007 they had a couple different versions of the cooper s do you have the turbo distributerless? or do you have the supercharger?
If you have the distributerless turbo you need to pop the hood disconnect the battery.
Second you need to look for where the spark plugs are watch a youtube vid on how to check you coil packs via lifting a switch on each one to disconnect the wires attached to it.
thrid then twist clockwise and counter clockwise on the coil pack to break the air seal between it and the spark plug as you generously pull it out.
forth check the metal sleeving on the lower half of the coil pack if there is rust you coil pack has been comprimised try light sand paper to take the rust off first but if there is rust the rule of thumb is to replace. Its important to check quickly because it could just be water in there dry out with a towell wrapped around something to get in there.
This is a common problem on coil pack type setup it can happen at the car wash to don't keep it like that to long misfiring can lead to destroying your o2 sensors then youll have to replace those also.
If all that don't work more then likely it was the alternator at the bottom of the car more so the voltage regulator attached to it.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
How deep did you get? For the record, my manual (for a Cooper D) says to not get into water deeper than 30cm or you risk water ingress.

Originally Posted by onemcs
I drove through a massive puddle which was down a country lane and as soon as i exited the puddle the yellow light came on

Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
onemcs
1st Gear
Hey guys! thanks for all your helpful replies!

The water was approximately 15cm deep which is deep enough in my books!

Slight problem being that I went throughe exactly the same place again last night and once again its back up on the dash!!

Took it to my mini specilist and they've checked and come up with the following faults!

Boost Pressure Plausability
Thermostat

Apprently the thermostat is most likely due to water but the turbo error is defineetly something going on! Its going to have to be booked in to have a look at it and see what they can do!

Here in the UK its rained unsually since the 2nd of April near enough non stop! Bit too much rain that I think has caused the issues!

Last edited by onemcs; 05-02-2012 at 04:14 AM.