Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Axle popped out somewhere after cv boot replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
flatblackmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle popped out somewhere after cv boot replaced

I just replaced the cv boots on r53 on passenger side and pulled the the axel apart and everything and put it back together and it drove fine till I did a uturn and lost all power and my car wouldn't move but it was revving up, I think the axel came out somewhere but I wouldn't know how since I put it back in the transmission good. Is there any snap rings I'm missing that go to the outer joint to hold the axel in or anything?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
If you used a regular style (not split) boot on the inner joint, you would have needed to remove a spring clip holding the tripod joint to the inboard half shaft. If that spring clip was not replaced, the tripod joint could have fallen out inside the inner cup.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:15 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
If you used a regular style (not split) boot on the inner joint, you would have needed to remove a spring clip holding the tripod joint to the inboard half shaft. If that spring clip was not replaced, the tripod joint could have fallen out inside the inner cup.
I think that joint would have fallen apart much more quickly than it did, no?

There is no snap ring on the transmission side of the passenger CV axle. Only the driver's side has that.

It's hard to believe also that it would pull itself out since the intermediate bearing has a bracket that gets tightened to the engine block holding it in place. Did you not re-fasten this bracket? If not I could definitely see the axle working its way out of the transmission. You're gonna have to get under there and look though.

I have read that people had a hard time removing the half shaft from the transmission. Mine only required a wiggle and a tug - I didn't even need a pry bar. And to put it back in it only required a wiggle and a push...