Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Are most of these issues posted related to just the MCS, not the Justa?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are most of these issues posted related to just the MCS, not the Justa?

Reading through this subforum can be a bit concerning for someone like me who's considering buying an MCS for their next daily driver. Reading about issue after issue, some of which seem to be a common (and potentially major) problem. At the same time, I'm trying to take it all in stride, because I also believe the general rule of thumb in car enthusiast forums. You usually don't see people join the forum just to say "Hey, I have no problems to report". So for every one person who posts a problem, there could be 20 out there motoring along happily that we never hear about. Still, the overall build quality of the MCS is something I'm a bit concerned about.

That said, most of the problems I've read about are with people who have an MCS. Are most of the common problems unique to this car, and the Justa is much more trouble free? All things being equal, if I buy a Mini, I'd prefer the S but I think I could live very happily with a Justa. So do the MCS and Justa share any common weak spots?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Remember that in the US, there are many more "S" than Cooper cars. I recall reading that it was something like 80/20, but that might have been first generation only. Anyway, my point is that you are going to be hearing more from S owners in general. And of course on an internet forum, we are going to hear all the bad things, and very little of the good. So our perceptions may be skewed into thinking the S is more trouble prone. Make no mistake, an S has more parts, thus more potential points of failure. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second gen S over a regular Cooper, if I was in the market. The carbon build up might be more prevelant on the S, but that's a maintenance (or lack, thereof) issue that affects any DI engine. Timing tensioner problems should be the same between either.

But I'm a first gen owner, with little knowledge about the later cars. Just wanted to share my thoughts as somewhat of an unbiased outsider.

Last edited by Blackbomber; 04-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes it seems the S has more problems than the non S here in the forums but remember there are a lot more S's out there than non S.

I would not hesitate to purchase another MINI or S for that matter.

Oh and I am one of those here that has almost no problems. HPFP replaced under warranty and then warrantied to 100K (only 7K more till that ends). Other than that I have done brakes, windshield wipers, tires, oil changes. Basic maint stuff that any car needs regularly.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Same here. Have an 07 S that I bought used and the only 2 issues I've had is a leaking thermostat and the timing chain issue. All fixed and I love it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Again, there a alot more S's out there plus drivers of S's probably run their cars harder than a non-S.
You know the old saying, 'play and pay'.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
One place to examine MINI trouble areas that controls for numbers of MCs and MCSs is the April issue of Consumer Reports (CR). Overall, CR claims average reliability for the MC, and worse than average reliability for the MCS for model years '06 through '11.

However, both show few problems in the '10 and '11 model years. The exception to that is a lot of fuel system problems for the MCS; an area that has been problematic across the whole time span.

Going back beyond the '10 model year, CR shows the problematic areas common to both MC and MCS to be mostly body integrity and body hardware. In that time frame, the MCS has more major and minor engine problems (including cooling) than the MC.

In comparing reliabilities, one factor that's hard to control for is that the two models may be treated and driven somewhat differently, with the MCS perhaps receiving more performance modifications and being driven harder, including on track. I'm not sure that's the case, but it seems like it might be from what I've read here. I've not seen any evidence here that the MCS is less well owner-maintained than the MC, however.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The carbon build-up problem is almost entirely limited to the S models due to the use of a direct-injected engine. Little to be done about that. Some folks try some things like Seafoam, but jury is definitely out as to whether it is really doing anything. Reports indicate MINI has made some changes in the engines to try to control this better with later models.

The problems with timing chain tensioners are also limited almost entirely to the S models.

There used to be a problem with the high pressure fuel pumps. I don't see posts about those too often any longer. MINI has extended the warranty on the HPFP. I'm not sure on whether the HPFP problems existed for both S and non-S models.

One thing I think I'm seeing as we start to get some 2nd Gens with time/miles on them are issues with the turbo oil feed lines. Seeing more and more posts about folks needing to replace the line. Not sure if the root issue has been corrected by MINI with later models. Obviously this is a problem limited to S models.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:08 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I would not hesitate to purchase another MINI or S for that matter.
I would absolutely not buy another MCS until I know the carbon buildup issues have been sorted. I haven't seen many complaints with the new N18 engine, so fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
There used to be a problem with the high pressure fuel pumps. I don't see posts about those too often any longer. MINI has extended the warranty on the HPFP. I'm not sure on whether the HPFP problems existed for both S and non-S models.

One thing I think I'm seeing as we start to get some 2nd Gens with time/miles on them are issues with the turbo oil feed lines. Seeing more and more posts about folks needing to replace the line. Not sure if the root issue has been corrected by MINI with later models. Obviously this is a problem limited to S models.
HPFP is an ongoing issue. The warranty was extended, so there's less complaining about it, but it's definitely still there. And the HPFP is specific to the S (and JCW); direct-injection is why the high pressure is needed.

A year or two ago, a MINI service technician told me the turbo oil line issue was one of the more common failures they see (that and oil pan gasket issues). The problem was the heat cooked the oil in the line over time and could block it. MINI came out with a heat shield that clips on to the sensitive area some time after or during the 2009 model year. It's rather cheap and easy to clip on yourself, so it was a no-brainer to pick one up and add it to my MCS. The part number is: 11657603484

Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
HPFP is an ongoing issue. The warranty was extended, so there's less complaining about it, but it's definitely still there. And the HPFP is specific to the S (and JCW); direct-injection is why the high pressure is needed.

A year or two ago, a MINI service technician told me the turbo oil line issue was one of the more common failures they see (that and oil pan gasket issues). The problem was the heat cooked the oil in the line over time and could block it. MINI came out with a heat shield that clips on to the sensitive area some time after or during the 2009 model year. It's rather cheap and easy to clip on yourself, so it was a no-brainer to pick one up and add it to my MCS. The part number is: 11657603484
Thanks for clarifying re: the HPFP.

On the turbo lines, I think age/mileage (I think most of the folks dealing with it right now have 2007 and 2008 models) is starting to reveal a new problem with the turbo line other than the blockage some folks experience. Starting to see them leaking. Apparently there is a rubber o-ring in the line that is degrading due to all the heat cycles. There is actually another thread here on NAM where folks are trying to figure out a DIY solution to it as it is about a $1,000 job for the dealer to do it. It is kind of early to say just how common a problem it is; so at this point, really just my prediction that we will see it blossom into being one of those "common" issues with MCS models.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM
perspichaos
Neutral
Also, keep in mind that few people in forums start threads about how few problems they have had. Love my 07 S as my daily driver and only car

Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by perspichaos
Also, keep in mind that few people in forums start threads about how few problems they have had. Love my 07 S as my daily driver and only car
Yep, I agree, and I mentioned that in my initial post. Even with that, it seems the MCS has a number of common issues which could be very costly fixes, even if you don't go to a dealer. I've always known how to do basic maintenance, such as oil changes. I've recently started teaching myself to do more, have a old Geo Tracker and a '90 Miata I'm wrenching on. Just swapped the rear on the Miata and pulled the fuel tank out of the Tracker. So hopefully I'd be able to do a lot of repairs myself.

Believe me, I'm not trying to talk myself out of the MCS. If all things were equal, I'd go that way in a heartbeat. But I'm looking for a daily driver I can count on day in and day out that won't break my wallet..anyone with several young children will understand what I mean... .

Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
This thread is a prime example of the awesome info-sharing that takes place on this forum, thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Klayfish
But I'm looking for a daily driver I can count on day in and day out that won't break my wallet..anyone with several young children will understand what I mean... .
fwiw, my 2008 MCS has been a daily driver for 105k miles now. Never left me stranded. Did have a couple repairs completed under warranty (and dealer gave me a loaner the one time I had to leave it so never without wheels). Since the warranty expired, I've spent a whopping $5 in repairs (though it would have been $65 without the discounts I got). Much more spent on maintenance items though I've controlled costs there too by learning how to do things like a brake job on my own.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
One more follow up question on this. If an MCS has the timing chain tensioner issue, and it's fixed by the dealer under warranty, does the replacement hold up much better? Or do you still see the issue come up again even after the dealer fixed it?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Klayfish
One more follow up question on this. If an MCS has the timing chain tensioner issue, and it's fixed by the dealer under warranty, does the replacement hold up much better? Or do you still see the issue come up again even after the dealer fixed it?
I'll throw out what I know. Mine was replaced back in Dec. and it's been fine ever since. My SA and MA said they have NOT had one come back that they've done. I think the new tensioner bolt (longer and suppose to keep chain in check better) helps out alot on this. Keep in mind also that alot of issues people had with the tensioner/chain was lack of checking their oil and going too long between oil/filter changes. Also, I think some that have had the tensioner issue 2 times may not have had the new tensioner bolt replaced on the original fix or that only part of the service was done.
My mechanic (per his words) said that if only the tensioner bolt was replaced, that still left the guide, chain, etc. slightly worn due to the fact the bolt was not keeping the chain in check throughout the previous miles.
Hope this makes sense and also, I have seen very few return fixes on NAM vs first time issues.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Gerrold
Neutral
I know what you mean Klayfish. Having just bought a 2012 justa, I go online only to hear about problem after problem and it kind of gets me nervous, but then again you only hear the bad and not the good on other forums. For me the one thing I'm really worried about is the clutch in these cars, but then again I only hear bad things about it never good.

Does anyone happen to know if MINI has done anything to combat this clutch issue?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
MINI just switched over to (yet another) new part number for the timing chain tensioners about September of 2011. Not sure whether you can read into it that they were having problems with units that had been used for repairs up to that point. I just put one in my MINI and at least externally it was exactly the same as the tensioner that had been put in back in 2010.

From what I can tell, the replacements/fixes do seem to hold up better. But, there are instances out there of folks getting the repair done and having that go bad. My impression is those cases are becoming fewer and fewer (as are initial tensioner issues).

Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^Totally agree with this statement.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gerrold
Does anyone happen to know if MINI has done anything to combat this clutch issue?
What clutch issue? 75k+ on my 2009 MCS and the clutch is fine.
I imagine most clutch issues you read about in here are PEBSWAC issues... Problem Exists Between Steering Wheel and Chair

Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gerrold
I know what you mean Klayfish. Having just bought a 2012 justa, I go online only to hear about problem after problem and it kind of gets me nervous, but then again you only hear the bad and not the good on other forums. For me the one thing I'm really worried about is the clutch in these cars, but then again I only hear bad things about it never good.

Buddy, you need to chill. Mini is a great car but yes there are some issues but you need to really keep in mind that most posters post issues and not all the good things or none issues. The percent of issues vs the number of Mini's out there is low. Also, many problems are self inflicted by the owners either beating them or from neglect of maintenance.
Drive your car and have fun with it, take care of it and it'll take care of you.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... A year or two ago, a MINI service technician told me the turbo oil line issue was one of the more common failures they see (that and oil pan gasket issues). The problem was the heat cooked the oil in the line over time and could block it. MINI came out with a heat shield that clips on to the sensitive area some time after or during the 2009 model year. It's rather cheap and easy to clip on yourself, so it was a no-brainer to pick one up and add it to my MCS. The part number is: 11657603484
"Fish:"

Your comment spurred me to check this on mine (early 2009 MY production); it does not appear to be on mine, but I'm not entirely certain I'm looking in the correct place (the RealOEM parts list doesn't do a very good job of indicated where all these things are located when everything is installed).

Does this heat resistant plate (as it's called on RealOEM) clip over the oil pipe fitting on the top of the turbo assembly? Did you have to buy yours because you were out of warranty; or won't MINI provide the part under warranty to retrofit?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Mickey1928
1st Gear
are warranties normally transferable? I'm looking at getting my first Mini, at 2010 w/35k from Carmax, and a bit of remaining factory warranty would certainly help me make that decision.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
"Fish:"

Your comment spurred me to check this on mine (early 2009 MY production); it does not appear to be on mine, but I'm not entirely certain I'm looking in the correct place (the RealOEM parts list doesn't do a very good job of indicated where all these things are located when everything is installed).

Does this heat resistant plate (as it's called on RealOEM) clip over the oil pipe fitting on the top of the turbo assembly? Did you have to buy yours because you were out of warranty; or won't MINI provide the part under warranty to retrofit?
Go to www.waymotorworks.com He has them for $26.00 and there is a picture of it installed. Takes 2 sec. to install it. It's about $1.00 worth of tin but suppose to work.
His site is very easy to find your car, year, make.
Plus he ships fast.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by StevenV
are warranties normally transferable? I'm looking at getting my first Mini, at 2010 w/35k from Carmax, and a bit of remaining factory warranty would certainly help me make that decision.
Welcome, Steven!

The remaining portion of the factory warranty is completely transferable to you. You don't even need to do any paperwork.

Bear in mind, however, that if the car already has 35k miles on it, at most you'll have 2 years/15k miles remaining on the factory warranty (originally 4 years/50k miles from the date the vehicle entered service).

Originally Posted by drsimmons
Go to www.waymotorworks.com He has them for $26.00 and there is a picture of it installed. Takes 2 sec. to install it. It's about $1.00 worth of tin but suppose to work.
His site is very easy to find your car, year, make.
Plus he ships fast.
Thanks! I'll keep that option in mind. Hard to believe the retail markup on that piece...!

Yup, that's where I thought it went!

Last edited by timfitz63; 05-11-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Check with your dealer's parts dept for that clip... I seem to remember it being less than $26.

And to the guy looking at a used MINI: you can also buy an extended warranty for up to 6yr/100k miles, if you're concerned about that.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Check with your dealer's parts dept for that clip... I seem to remember it being less than $26...
For what it's worth: I just had my JCW Clubman in for some other service work at MINI of Pittsburgh, and mentioned that this turbo heat shield (P/N 11-65-7-603-484) was missing from mine. It was installed under warranty, no arguments...

As always, though, your mileage may vary...