Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil filter cover exploded during oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil filter cover exploded during oil change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7fK...ature=youtu.be

I changed the oil on my R56 S. I carefully removed the oil filter cover per the standard instructions. Everything was going great until I attempted to removed the used OEM oil filter from the oil filter cover. I pulled on the old oil filter just like in the instruction video. The video points out that the filter sticks to the oil filter cover. As I was separating the filter from the oil filter cover the oil filter cover exploded and all the tabs, springs and other parts flew out like one of those party poppers that people use on new year's eve. I have never seen such poor quality in an automotive OEM part.

A friend called just after the part exploded and was going to drive near the local dealership and offered to go pick up the part. The parts department was closing and my friend could just make it in time. I called my local Mini dealer to see if they had a replacement part. First I spoke to the dealer's receptionist (nice person) and I asked for the parts department. I was put on hold for 10 min. and then I was disconnected. I called back and the same thing happened. After 30+ min. and 4 phone calls to the same dealer the parts counter picked up the phone and asked me to hold. After 5 more min. the parts person apologized for the long wait and told me that they only had one person at the counter. I explained what happened with the oil filter cover and asked if they had the part in stock. I provided the part number that was molded on the part PA66GF30I and 679 041364 0 PURFLUX http://www.purflux.com/en/products/oil-filters.html but that did not help the parts person. I got a part number 11427583112 from the dealer's parts person on the phone but I could not see the picture / drawing (I have no computer in the garage). The parts person asked me if I needed the housing. I answered incorrectly, "I need the part that goes over the oil filter." I should of said, I don't need the part that attaches to the car but I thought that was clear when I explained that the filter cover exploded when I was removing the used oil filter from it.

They looked up the part (they thought I needed) and told me that none were in North America. I could order it for a rush 2 week deliver out of Germany however. The dealer's retail quote was $297.00 ($237.00 online price as a comparison for the same assembly) not including any extra rush charges or tax so it would cost more. (You must be joking) The dealer told me the order would not go out for 2 days so I could think about it. I asked if it was available in distribution and if they could look for it from other sources. Answer, no.

I was suspicious if we were talking about the same part. Looking at the part that exploded I have think it cost about $5.00 to make. With markup and stocking I can see this part with a $25.00 retail price. I have to say that the Mini filter assembly is a joke when you look at most other car brands that use canister oil filters that cost much less with more material. I called my friend who just arrived at the dealership and told them the report. My friend got the same story from the parts counter person. After waiting around to ask one of the dealer staff a few more questions my friend departed without even getting the chance to talk to the person.

I put away my tools and looked up the parts online and it turns out the part number 11427583112 I got from the dealer was an assembly of parts. I only needed part number 11427557011. I did some digging and found that part 11427557011 online for prices near $25-$30 (probably need to add shipping).

I called the same dealer first thing the next day. After getting off hold for 10 min. the parts person answered. I gave them the 11427557011 part number and they told me they had one in stock. I drove over to the dealership and for $51.XX I got the part so I could finish the oil change. The new part worked fine. I was glad the dealer was open and I could get the part even if it took an extra day to clear up the confusion on the part number and an additional trip to the dealership. All the time I was on hold with the dealer the recorded message stated that this dealer was the best rated for customer service and had the most knowledgeable staff. Hmmm, I can't say they did not because I have not tested all the other dealers. I am not really complaining about the dealership as much as I am disappointed in the design of the filter as a system and the amount of hoops I had to jump through to do a simple maintenance task and get the proper part number from the experts. If I had a computer in the garage I could have looked up the part myself but I was up against the clock.

WOW that was fun, so why did the part fail? Do I need to stock up on more of them for the next oil change?

Last edited by OceanMini2; 04-30-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
feel for ya...

Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. All I can say is that it must have been a bad one. Any manufactured part can have a problem so to say
I have never seen such poor quality in an automotive OEM part
is not right. There are many of us that have NEVER had a problem. So it is not a bad design, you just had a bad one.

Mine has been taken off and the filter replaced at least 20 times it the last 92000 miles and never had any problems with it.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Sorry to hear of your problems. All I can say is that it must have been a bad one. Any manufactured part can have a problem so to say is not right. There are many of us that have NEVER had a problem. So it is not a bad design, you just had a bad one.

Mine has been taken off and the filter replaced at least 20 times it the last 92000 miles and never had any problems with it.
So you believe I got a defective part? Do you think it should be covered under warranty? (not that I am pressing it)
For the record quality is a measured level of consistency from part to part to the design. If all the other parts work great my part had poor quality.

I hope this is the last time this happens. I have found some posts on NAM where people have rounded the hex on the end by using a 12 point or broken the hex off completely by over torquing. I am very careful not do damage like that and I have the proper socket.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ent-fubar.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-filters.html

It is nice to know that this part does not explode all the time.

Thermal plastics have come a long way and every year new alloys and additives are discovered but thermal plastics are still thermally alterable. Any molded in stress in the plastic part will fail as it gets older and is heat cycled (depending on the stress). With a standard canister the springs and cap are replaced each time so the materials don't have to last the life of the motor. BMWs plastic cap and exposed filter cost more than a standard canister oil filter (perhaps BMW gets higher margins with less material cost). Theoretically and from my limited experience the plastic oil filter cover is less reliable than a canister.

This link asked the question about cleaning the dirt that gets trapped in the oil filter cover (a disposable canister would not need cleaning):
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...il-change.html

Perhaps the BMW system flows oil better?

I was wondering if I should cut the filter on the longitude of the center to relieve the undercut on the snap to filter (as to break the filter instead of the filter cover) the next time? Clearly the snap undercut on the center receiver was too great on my original part.

When I picked up the part at the dealer they told me if I had them do my oil changes they would replace the filter cover without any extra charge if it broke. I don't know how often they replace oil filter covers and just don't say anything at the dealer. They quoted $140 to change my oil however.

Last edited by OceanMini2; 05-06-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 AM
urameatball
2nd Gear
I'm doing my oil change this morning and my oil filter won't snap off the cover.
Been trying all morning and it just won't come off. I hesitate to try to use tools because it feels like there's a spring inside that would break with too much force.

Done half dozen oil changes and the filter usually snaps off fairly easily. Any advice?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by urameatball
I'm doing my oil change this morning and my oil filter won't snap off the cover.
Been trying all morning and it just won't come off. I hesitate to try to use tools because it feels like there's a spring inside that would break with too much force.

Done half dozen oil changes and the filter usually snaps off fairly easily. Any advice?
Try cutting the filter's spool flange and then cutting the filter's plastic toilet paper tube and then the bridge in the center of the tube.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM
urameatball
2nd Gear
Thanks,
I called my mini dealership and they told me the same thing.
remove the paper, pry it out carefully.

After spending 3 hours, I was able to rip the paper and spool flange apart but the core was still on tight. I was gingerly trying to ease the filter off but eventually gave up and took out a screwdriver to pry it off, and even that took some effort. Managed to remove it without breaking the cover, so I'm very glad.

If it happens in the future, remove paper, pry core with screwdriver (carefully).

Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
Wow, and I thought the R53 was finnicky. Good luck to you.