Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Squealing....HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Eric Ruiz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing....HELP...

Hey Mini Peeps,

Looking for a some advice, maybe some words of wisdom. Two weeks back, My MCs 2006 broke down while shopping in CT(I live in Mass). So, it wasn't going over 20-30mph. Had it towed to Mini (usually a big mistake in my part of the world). $1300 later for a new Harmonic Balancer/Crank pulley and Thermostat (Engine coolant leak), and new belt..I drove my MCs home and it was driving great.
Day 2, it's squealing and squawking like a pig is dying under the hood. Back to the dealership thinking they did something wrong! I was told, that since they applied the correct belt and new Harmonic balancer, it applied the correct amount of pressure and the Tensioner now needs to be replaced (umm for another $700+). I said no thanks...you guys should have seen the tensioner was going in your inspections, and I personally didn't feel for paying 3x the labor costs vs parts.
So I bought my own tensioner, lifted the engine, replaced the tensioner and belt, and its good, but now the squealing (light) is back, not the same, and i think its coming from the supercharger/drive pulley. I applied belt conditioner, turned on The AC to see if these were simple fixes.

My question is this: Am I being hosed by the Mini Dealership? and is it common that you replace one pulley, and there's a cascade effect on needing all new ones?

Any Advice on what to do?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Ruiz
Am I being hosed by the Mini Dealership?
Eric
I'm not much of a mechanic so can't be of help with your main concern but...to answer the above question, just click on the search, type in 'stealership' and see how many threads show up.

Go to soopercooperinfo with the below link and scroll down to the Massachusetts section and see if there's an independent near where you live.
http://soopercooperinfo.com/lindaminiinfo.html

Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Eric Ruiz
1st Gear
Thanks Bud!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Eric Ruiz
1st Gear
Fixed..... The damn Tensioner was just 2 half turns loose and causing the squealing on the pulley.... Two twists and I am fixed...

lol