Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

brakes: OEM to Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012 | 09:19 PM
accel
|
2nd Gear
brakes: OEM to Aftermarket

Hi, I recently got brake service light at ~23k and decided to take a look at the brakes first... What I saw surprised me:

1. plently of brake pad left front and rear, what the heck?
2. Rotors do actually have significant wear. Why?

First, 23k miles seem too early even for brake pads compared to all cars I had before, second, - I don't see any reason for rotor to wear that fast other than to charge extra for parts and labor.

I already googled and searched this forum and plan on shorting wear sensor.

Can anybody recommend some aftermarket rotors\pad pair where pads wear more than rotors? Also, at my other cars I had little plate attached to the pad, that, once the pad wears enough, gets in contact with rotor and makes some noise. To me, this solution is much better than sensors and other electronic solutions. Do any aftermarket pads have such simple wear indicators?

I have attached front pad\rotor photo.

Attached Thumbnails brakes: OEM to Aftermarket-2012-cooper-pads-001.jpg   brakes: OEM to Aftermarket-2012-cooper-pads-003.jpg  
Old 05-14-2012 | 07:21 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Simple answer, the rotors wear with the pads at about an equal rate. When doing brakes expect to have to do rotors too. This isn't the case on more american or cheap vehicles that don't brake as well. The MINI is fun to drive but that fun and performance comes at a slightly elevated cost of maintenance. At least it's all covered under maintenance when the indicator says to replace (assuming its before 36k). As far as the sensor goes, its 1 <$25 sensors. Most aftermarket pads have the spot for the sensor to be pressed into.

Old 05-14-2012 | 09:02 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
At 23K you are still under the Mileage for the Free Maint Items. With it being a 2009 you may be getting close or gone over the time on the 3years / 36K mile Free Maint.

If you dont want to go the OEM route check out Way Motor Works or some of the other places on the net that specialize in MINI parts

Old 05-14-2012 | 10:37 AM
accel
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Simple answer, the rotors wear with the pads at about an equal rate. When doing brakes expect to have to do rotors too. This isn't the case on more american or cheap vehicles that don't brake as well. The MINI is fun to drive but that fun and performance comes at a slightly elevated cost of maintenance. At least it's all covered under maintenance when the indicator says to replace (assuming its before 36k). As far as the sensor goes, its 1 <$25 sensors. Most aftermarket pads have the spot for the sensor to be pressed into.
I'm an engineer, so I do not buy these marketing arguments.

Rotors wear fast is not equal to better braking. Mini is not the first car in my life, not even the second. Does MINI brake fundamentally differently from other cars on the road? No.

Yes sensors are just $25. But do they do their job? Look at the picture, the pad has at least 50% of the pad material left.

I'm sorry, but I can't see any reason for this implementation other than adding more wear parts to the vehicle and charging more for maintenance and having you for the service sooner than needed. Fun to drive factor in this particular case is very questionable.

Dealership quoted me $800 dollars for the replacement For the money I
can get drilled \ slotted rotors, best available pads, still save money and have lots of fun (including to drive) and stash $200 towards engine carbon. cleaning which seems to be another maint. item (not covered even by free maint.) for MCS.

I wouldn't raise this question if I was still under free maintenance though. So if you are under free maintenance or lease the car - this is not on your radar yet.

Old 05-14-2012 | 12:02 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by accel

Rotors wear fast is not equal to better braking. Mini is not the first car in my life, not even the second. Does MINI brake fundamentally differently from other cars on the road? No.

Yes sensors are just $25. But do they do their job? Look at the picture, the pad has at least 50% of the pad material left.

I'm sorry, but I can't see any reason for this implementation other than adding more wear parts to the vehicle and charging more for maintenance and having you for the service sooner than needed. Fun to drive factor in this particular case is very questionable.

can get drilled \ slotted rotors, best available pads, still save money and have lots of fun (including to drive) and stash $200 towards engine carbon. cleaning which seems to be another maint. item (not covered even by free maint.) for MCS.

I wouldn't raise this question if I was still under free maintenance though. So if you are under free maintenance or lease the car - this is not on your radar yet.
It's not just Marketing crap. I was taking the short easy way out and using it for an explanation that these rotors are a softer material and usually are spent when the pads are fully used up. The reason for this could be a better bite when braking, they could be a quieter combo with the OEM pads or resist warping depending on the heat threshold or dissipation.

On all of my previous vehicles (3 troucks) the rorotrs were turned or new pads were thrown on, the MINI is different...BMW is very similar is how they wear. I replaced my rears with aftermarket rotors that I think are of superior quality and better pads too for cheaper by myself. I would recommend doing the same.

The sensors are there for the typical person who services the car at the dealer regardless of it being in free maintenance or not. They are there just like TPMS, people don't know how to upkeep a car anymore and the old school way of a squeal form a metal tab on the rotors doesn't work for the inattentive. You put gas in it and go...that's the lazy mentality now.

It is thought for better figures in the service department too, I will agree with that, but it isn't the sole reason. MINI/BMW like how these particular pads and rotors work together and wear is the icing on the cake. It's the thought that they take pride in selling a car more geared toward drivers or spirited driving, not commuting in some crappy econobox that is boring to no end.

Last edited by yetti96; 05-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2012 | 12:23 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
jmo, but in your pic, the braking material appears to only be a little bit thicker than the backing plate. So old school rule of thumb would say the pads are about due for a change. When my sensor tripped, I did get another 9k miles out of the brakes before replacing them, so the thickness that trips the sensor is definitely on the conservative side imo.

As far as why you show such wear in only 23k miles, not sure other than you must be using the brakes a lot. I got 63k miles out of my original OEM pads and rotors.

I am currently running Hawk HPS pads with some Centric rotors. After ~45k miles, I'd say I still have well over half the brake pad material and the rotors show very little use.

Old 05-14-2012 | 12:40 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
The lifespan of the rotors should always be much longer than that of the pads. The pads wear very fast on automatics, less so on a manual.

The rotors have a number inscribed on them, which is the minimum thickness they must have before replacement is due. The front rotors of an MCS need be at least 22mm thick and when you do reach that threshold you can still go through the life of two further pads (acc. to BMW documentation).

Old 05-14-2012 | 01:30 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
as others have said NOT marketing hype.

Rotors wear fast is not equal to better braking. Mini is not the first car in my life, not even the second.
Are you sure about what you are talking about. To hard a material will make for noise braking and also cause premature pad wear. To soft a rotor and it may get hardspots fro being over heated which make for thumping as high spots occur. So there is a defined hardness for rotors for specific vehicles and YES MINI's are softer than some others.

Does MINI brake fundamentally differently from other cars on the road? No.
This point you have right brakes on most cars do work fundamentally the same.

Two things here.

1. Are you 1000% percent positive that one of the sensors tripped. There are also time/mileage frames on these cars for things like brake fluid changes. That may have set off the light.

2. if it is a pad sensor that set off the Brake Light are you sure that you are showing us the correct pad, I dont think so as it seems you are showing us an outside pad not an inside pad that has the sensor in it. And you can have serious uneven wear from inside to outside pads which may be the case in your situation if a caliper is stuck. Oh and if a caliper is stuck it surely will cause an uneven wear to the pads.

Until you are really 1000% sure what is causing the light maybe you should not make such comments.

Not sure where you are gettign your prices but to get slotted rotors and the "best" pads will cost you more than $600 to outfit your MINI.

So what you are saying here is that your car was put in service before May 2009 if not then you are still under the Free Maint Plan.

And by the way the picture you show, if that is the real pad thickness it should not have set off the sensor.

I also as others here got more than 40K out of the OEM Brakes that came on the car. I do know of others that have not but those are very few.

Old 05-16-2012 | 10:47 PM
accel
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Are you sure about what you are talking about. To hard a material will make for noise braking and also cause premature pad wear. To soft a rotor and it may get hardspots fro being over heated which make for thumping as high spots occur. So there is a defined hardness for rotors for specific vehicles and YES MINI's are softer than some others.
I see. Next thing they should do - design the cylinder block that wears faster than piston rings, and people like you will say that's fun to drive factor.

Old 05-16-2012 | 10:48 PM
accel
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alexs3d2
The lifespan of the rotors should always be much longer than that of the pads.
+1.

Because they are less expensive and easier to replace.

Old 05-16-2012 | 10:54 PM
accel
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Not sure where you are gettign your prices but to get slotted rotors and the "best" pads will cost you more than $600 to outfit your MINI.
tirerack has stoptech drilled rotors for rear axle pair $120, $60 set of pads per axle.

120 + 60 = $180 rear axle.

162 + 70 = $232 front axle.

total ~ $412 for all four wheels.

spare $200 for engine corbon buildap cleaning and you still have money left against dealership $800 quite to replace just _rear_ axle.

Old 05-17-2012 | 04:32 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Hello from a fellow mech. engineer!

I too have shorted both brake pad sensors. Gotta love the modern technology that costs $50 for a pair of sensors and wasted time in the garage when someone mechanically inclined can just look through the wheel spokes and tell if the pad is ready to be replaced

Most of the ceramic "low dust" pads offered by Hawk, EBC, and Carbotech won't be too aggressive on your rotors. What one you decide to get can be debated for days. Either way, the pads blow black dust everywhere like a coal power plant when you apply your brakes. Your rotors are probably still good for a while longer. The only way to check is to measure with a micrometer.

Old 05-17-2012 | 07:47 AM
05r50
5th Gear
As others have said, the sensor trips early. There is plenty of pad to run for a while under most circumstances.

I am not clear as to why there are so many that seem upset over the wear sensor. It is a cost yes, but even by your own after market replacement costs it is very little in the scope of things. Technically, you don't need a gas gauge either, you could just constantly do math in your head based on mileage estimates. Or you could stick a stick down the filler neck and see if you need gas. . But it is nice to know that you need to fill up soon. Same with the brake sensor, just letting you know.

Seriously, based on your mileage you may want to take a look at one other thing. There is a recall for brake wear on the 09 JCW/clubbie JCW. Certain models received 16 inch rotors and the recall gets you a replacement for the fronts. Not sure what model you have just offering up some help. The recall number is 08V-507

I am in the process of replacing my rotors and pads and also went aftermarket. Price is better as you say, but wearable parts are always gonna cost something.