Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New ps pump and fan-still no steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM
kerver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ps pump and fan-still no steering

Ok, so...

My steering started gradually getting bad(no noise) I drove it for about a week with intermittent power steering until it finally was just hard. So I ordered an remanufactured pump from bbreman and an oem ps fan...got it put on and my steering is about the same...(have another thread started about the fan itself.)

I fear that perhaps it wasn't the pump that blew in the first place but it something else related to the steering.

I've read forum after forum trying to find some answers...

The steering rack is not leaking.

After just spending a big chunk of money with no different results I am leary to keep buying parts with out knowing more.

What else could attribute to difficult steering?

Maybe my refurbished pump was hooped to start with.(i hope not...it cost $50 just for the special ps fluid)

Any thoughts would be great i'm at a total loss and I don't know what to do. Wouldn't get much for my car if it was running properly and will get a lot less for it now the way it is...

Thanks everyone who reads this.

03 mini cooper base model

Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Rebuilt pumps can be an iffy propostion....but they usually work for a few days...
Check the connections...the pump does have a wire that senses if the alternator is putting out voltage...so maybe that was loose...
There is a 100 amp fuse buried in he underhood fuse box for the pump...pretty rare to fail...just check to see if you have continuity with an ohm meter...getting to the fuse is a pia.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Have you checked the steering u-joint it's bushings? It can sometimes freeze up causing difficult steering...

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Rebuilt power steering pumps are very iffy, so we only sell new power steering pumps.

Make sure you check ALL your fuse under hood and under dash, many times the bad pump can blow the fuse too.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
kerver
2nd Gear
I read that there is a fuse underneath the fuse box thats in the hood that is related to the power steering pump. Is that the one that will usually blow? I have asked my mechanic to take a look....

If there's no power going to my fan and my steering is still wonky then i am really really really hoping we've just missed a fuse somewhere....

Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
kerver
2nd Gear
Tested the 100 amp fuse thats under the fuse box...it was fine..tested both fan relays, both good. Only fuse we haven't got to is the one up inside near the steering wheel.

Tested the power plug that the ps fan plugs into and it isn't getting any power either. There's also a 5amp fuse in the cars kick panel that is not providing power to the fuse.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

I'm thinking maybe that is the problem with the steering?

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM
GuyIncognito
1st Gear
Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same boat as you

Old 05-21-2012, 04:21 AM
kerver
2nd Gear
No I haven't! I'll update this thread if I do ever find an answer. I have to take the car to a different mechanic now cause mine is stumped. Please keep me posted on your car. Thanks and good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 AM
GuyIncognito
1st Gear
I think it's is the likely cause of mine....

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Have you checked the steering u-joint it's bushings? It can sometimes freeze up causing difficult steering...

I found THIS thread that describes my problem. At least this is easier to test than the ps pump. I'm going to dig into mine within a few days to see if I can free it up, then order more parts.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM
kerver
2nd Gear
I think you are probably right. Wish I would have started with that instead of spending a ton on parts i likely didn't need.

I took my car to a different mechanic this morning and he said almost immediately that it's likely the source of the problem. I should know for sure by the end of the day and will let you know.

I was looking for a used part on ebay but can't seem to find one. So if anyone knows where I could get one that would be great! If they aren't much new i'll go that way.

Let me know if that was in fact your problem

Cheers!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 AM
kerver
2nd Gear
I found a new one online for less then 150 shipped so i'll go that route once I know for sure.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 PM
GuyIncognito
1st Gear
I have confirmed that it's the lower steering shaft. I unbolted just the bottom part and was immediately able to tell one of the joints was seized up. I'm soaking it in pb blaster since I've got it out now, but I'm pretty sure I'm buying one locally. Curious where you're getting yours. PM me if you want to keep it a secret

Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
kerver
2nd Gear
Minipartsmass.com I think. It was 100 cheaper then my local dealer. It was indeed the problem, the mechanic soaked it for a half hour and it's good now...for now. I'll change it if I have the problem again. Glad you figured it out before you bought parts and labour unnecessarily. Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
GuyIncognito
1st Gear
If you have access to even a half decent set of tools, it's pretty easy to do yourself. I put my original one back in since I need the MINI for work tomorrow, and it's a little bit better. But I'm definitely getting a new one. I could do a write-up in the process if one isn't already up.