Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine Noise Ticking Type Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:44 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Noise Ticking Type Sound

Hi All,

I have an 06 MCSA with about 54k miles on it. I have not thrown any codes. I had it in to a mechanic because I think the engine is making more "noise" than it used to make. It is ticking or clicking.

The mechanics said there were no codes and i have a scan gauge and he is right My mechanic and the MINI dealer said no codes and nothing "wrong" but it sure seems like it is getting louder. Here is a sound clip if anyone could take a sec and listen..

http://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons/m...-sound-5-23-12

I will try to use Shell gas rather than Marathon but I doubt it is the fuel I'm using. Yes I use 93 octane .. Any one know other reasons why the engine might have more clicking or ticking sounds than it did a few weeks ago?

Thank you!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is possible that it is the supercharger/water pump rattle. listen to the left side of the intercooler horn.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ater-pump.html

In short: there is no way to service the gear driven water pump and refill with oil so it runs dry and chews up the gears over time. (some less than 70k others have gone past 150k) The first indication of issue is usually noise like you describe.

Edit: ran across this recent post from MOTD12. maybe there is hope for proper servicing

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-r52-r53.html

Last edited by planeguy; 05-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Haha, I was just reading that thread earlier today. That is an expensive option but atleast one exists. It does sound like that is the general area it is coming from but I know very little which is probably very evident
Having a 17% pulley, doing only city driving and running it pretty hard, that may be the issue..... hmmmm... so I just hope for the best or spend 600 or so on the "recharger" ? Does that fix problems though or just help reduce them.. thanks for the reply! I hope that isn't it

Originally Posted by planeguy
It is possible that it is the supercharger/water pump rattle. listen to the left side of the intercooler horn.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ater-pump.html

In short: there is no way to service the gear driven water pump and refill with oil so it runs dry and chews up the gears over time. (some less than 70k others have gone past 150k) The first indication of issue is usually noise like you describe.

Edit: ran across this recent post from MOTD12. maybe there is hope for proper servicing

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-r52-r53.html

Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Wow! I am in for it I guess... that thread is very lengthy.. my question so far is, if it is already making this noise, is replacing the oil and checking for leaks going to fix it or is it past fixable? I will look at the stiegemeier porting and replacement.. haven't had a chance yet...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
yeah, its a tough call....that service kit is great if you have a SC with no issue and full fluid. if you have noise it may be too late for the kit to help on this SC but when you replace the SC it would be a good mod to install but its a pricey kit on top of a pricey SC and the new SC may very well last with no service for the duration of remaining ownership...the kit then becomes a nice gift to the next owner ....and that is only if the owner is an enthusiast....the investment in a service kit would be lost on 90% of the buying public who have little intrest in performing proper maintence. The general consensus has been to just drive until failure and replace. but the most proactive solution is to by a SC install it and mod for servicability. If your existing SC comes out good then resell and recoup some cost

Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Thanks, I have going to try and find what is making the noise. If it is the SC I am praying that it is fixable. Waiting for it to go out seems like a poor idea. I am planning on taking it off this weekend if necessary. Good project for Monday...

Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM
quickslvr580
2nd Gear
sounds like a bad timing chain tensioner.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/timing-...r-r50-r53.html

Old 05-25-2012, 05:01 AM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Rattles of heat shields, TCT, any belt driven blot on that is on it's way out could be at play.

The key question is does the noise change under load (does it get faster with more right foot)? Rod knock would do this and if the bearing is just starting to fail I do not think it would effect emissions stuff which would be how you would toss a code as oil burn might not be significant. Check your oil make sure you are not burning a lot that would support rod bearing.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Autohaus in town says its the supercharger but said that they don't have the tools to take it out which I don't understand at all. They say take him to mini which is dryer reinbold in Indy. Anyone in town possibly help me sometime this weekend?? I'd like to pull the SC and open it up possibly send it to get refurbished and ported.. Maybe I'll see if WMw is in town? Sure mini wood get me good just to pull the sc and replace but shall see... Thanks!!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
yodejt02
1st Gear
where are you located?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
I am in indy and if your close I could come by and help but I have a tight time line as I have to work.

do you have a service manual for taking of the SC? if there "special tools" would suck to find that out the hard way.

Post up your local and will keep an eye ou.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Right about 98th and keystone, two minutes from d& r mini. I don't have a belt tensioner tool but I saw a thread where it was released w/ I it..

Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
I do have a manual and there is a couple well detailed diys online too.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, my former MINI (an '05 Justa) developed a ticking sound quite similar to this. I thought there might be something going bad with a valve mechanism. As it turned out, the culprit ended up being a missing tooth on the universal drive belt. A quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive fix.

You might want to check this out before digging any deeper just in case. Might save you some $$.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
here are the two threads that seem to be the best sources for info..

I'm thinking I'll give it a shot fyi, If I can do it, anyone can

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ge-how-to.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...night-diy.html

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
info on remanufacturers and oil level from eaton site..

New oil can be obtained from any GM or Ford service parts facility, or from one of the Eaton aftermarket supercharger partner companies or remanufacturers. Please make sure you do NOT use any other type of oil, including synthetic motor oils. These will cause failure.
OEM Application

I'm hoping the SC is in good enough shape to send it to http://www.stiegemeier.com/rebuild.html (just trying to put this stuff somewhere I can find it)
BMW / Mini
3-lobe
M45
145ml + 40ml (rear)
4.9oz front + 1.4oz (rear)

Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
I need some better tools. I spent three hours on it "tonight" and still have a long way to go before I get the SC off.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
I am planning to tare it down more tonight and Saturday and hope to get the SC out by Sunday morning to check for oil and possibly open it up if necessary. Let me know if anyone could lend a hand or wants to take a look.

If you have a belt tensioner tool I could borrow that would be great! I'm happy to provide lunch/beer or whatever will get you there (within reason)

Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Planeguy, did you just sell a SuperCharger on Ebay? I thought about buying it but not sure I need it yet... bet it was..

Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XXLil MickXX
Planeguy, did you just sell a SuperCharger on Ebay? I thought about buying it but not sure I need it yet... bet it was..
Nope not me. staying tuned to see what you find. IIRC The only "special" tool is the belt tensioner tool and you can get by without it.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
I am cautiously optimistic. My wife had a "cow" when I told her to look in the garage this morning. Someone was selling a SC and they said they needed to clear out their hangar for room for a new plane.. hopefully I won't need a new one. Cheers

Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Right about 98th and keystone, two minutes from d& r mini. I don't have a belt tensioner tool but I saw a thread where it was released w/ I it..
That is close enough

wonder if DR would let you borrow a tool with a deposit.

I have to work most of saturday if you still need help sunday I might be able to do that

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Autohaus in town says its the supercharger but said that they don't have the tools to take it out which I don't understand at all. They say take him to mini which is dryer reinbold in Indy. Anyone in town possibly help me sometime this weekend?? I'd like to pull the SC and open it up possibly send it to get refurbished and ported.. Maybe I'll see if WMw is in town? Sure mini wood get me good just to pull the sc and replace but shall see... Thanks!!
Autohaus doesn't want to do it cause it doesn't take any special tools to remove the blower, just some time

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Autohaus doesn't want to do it cause it doesn't take any special tools to remove the blower, just some time
Yep, not sure why though. I pay with real money.. One guy understood I wanted it removed, check oil in both sides, report to me on the findings.. possibly get a replacement and install, but then the shop manager called and said his tech couldn't do it..take it to MINI.. no clue why they decided against it..

If my SC is dust inside are Co.'s going to accept it as a Core?

Quick Reply: Engine Noise Ticking Type Sound