Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Steering Rack help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steering Rack help

Hi guys. Today we are going to try to tackle the replacing of the steering rack on the 2005 MCS. I can't find any how to's or DIY's on this (probably because it's not THAT common) Can anyone advise us on any tips or things to look out for as we do it. We did find one thread with a few hints (socket size I think?) but I don't have the thread handy. If someone could be so gracious, it would be awesome if someone could scan the pages in the Bentley manual (if it's in there) with how to replace the steering rack at home. I appreciate anything though.

Sara

Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
-Siphon out the hydraulic fluid from the steering fluid reservoir
-Raise the car and remove both front tires
-Remove left sway bar link
-Paint a mark on the steering tie rod adjusting collar so it makes it easier to reset front toe after replacing the steering rack
-Remove both tie rod mounting nuts on the steering knuckles
-Remove the steering shaft U-joint pinch bolt and nut then pry the U-joint off the steering rack shaft
-Remove the fluid line banjo bolts that attach the fluid lines to the steering rack (might wanna plug them up to prevent anything getting into the lines)
-Next, take off the steering rack heat shield and it's support bracket
-Now remove the steering rack mounting bolts (there are two bolts on each side) then slide the rack to the left to remove
-Once you re-install everything, refill the reservoir with power steering fluid and bleed out the old fluid

You might want to replace the self-locking fasteners, sealing rings for the fluid lines, and make sure that the steering rack mount and bracket are fitted and aligned. Don't forget to reset/align the front toe with those painted marks I mentioned above. And of course, make sure to get the car aligned afterwards.

Hopefully this helps.

-Jorge

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-30-2012, 07:30 PM
SooperSara
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Jorge,

Thanks for the detailed response. Fortunately, a local forum member helped us out with the Bentley Manual. The steering rack (came with new tie rods) was changed out on Monday but having trouble with the front toe. We're trying to reset the front toe on the MINI and the tie rods are absolutely stuck in place. Tried a torch and PB blaster. The passenger one finally moved about 1/4". Any suggestions? My boyfriend says he's doing it right but I don't see why the tie rods would be stuck then. I'm just scared that he's doin' it wrong and that's why they aren't moving. He moved them on the old rack and they moved just fine.

Thanks!
Sara

Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Hmm I have no idea, it shouldn't be giving you an issue. If I have some time today, I'll check our project car again.

-Jorge

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST