Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

HELP! Replaced Timing set/Tensioner Still makes noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
JDCustoms
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Replaced Timing set/Tensioner Still makes noise

Here is video of noise after New Timing chain,Tensioner, Guides and bolts replaced..Timing is correct and Torque was set properly..
compression is Cyl 1 90psi Cyl 2 90psi Cyl 3 120 psi Cyl 4 120 psi
I realize this is low and should be serviced but before I pull the head I must know whats causing this noise to prevent future issue...
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE and if so what did you find out what the solution was???
On yeah Its not supercharger or harmonic those a have been deleted.. for testing...

Video: http://youtu.be/tClACsGb6MI

Last edited by JDCustoms; 06-05-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
JDCustoms
Neutral
Video for you..
http://youtu.be/ZyxMRmbvX54

I assembled top of engine again.. noise is def. coming from mid of engine to top of head and on the side the timing chain.. With scope on, noise is coming loud from both sides of timing chain cover to side of head..
maybe POSSIBLE clogged oil valley? New tensioner needs to have shim? or possible defective new parts....
Here is one for you.. I am getting a slight pumping effect from PCV more pressure than suction BAD RINGS???

Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
JDCustoms
Neutral
We'll I replaced entire new timing set and tensioner with old and exact same noise...
Its in the head and from the friction marks on cyl 1,2 and 4 valvetrain component would make it seem the motor has been starved for oil at some point on top of not being change for extended period...
Owner wants to replace motor instead of repairing head,fearing other problems lie in the motor...

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Pbadore
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JDCustoms
We'll I replaced entire new timing set and tensioner with old and exact same noise...
Its in the head and from the friction marks on cyl 1,2 and 4 valvetrain component would make it seem the motor has been starved for oil at some point on top of not being change for extended period...
Owner wants to replace motor instead of repairing head,fearing other problems lie in the motor...
The noise on the video sounds like a defective lash adjuster on one of the rocker arms? Have you checked to see if there is any looseness in one of the
rocker arms or if one is stuck? The rocker arm assemblies look like they would interchange with the Dodge Neon 2.0l engine? Also you should probably check to see if there is a worn out cam lobe since this engine was not well maintained.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM
JDCustoms
Neutral
Originally Posted by Pbadore
The noise on the video sounds like a defective lash adjuster on one of the rocker arms? Have you checked to see if there is any looseness in one of the
rocker arms or if one is stuck? The rocker arm assemblies look like they would interchange with the Dodge Neon 2.0l engine? Also you should probably check to see if there is a worn out cam lobe since this engine was not well maintained.
See and from failed tappet style lifters in mazda bp engines that have failed have sound similar to that also...other than physically checking no its built into rocker arm and other than the video showing an intake rocker arm at lifter not oiling as much as the rest no real evidence, than noise...

Old 06-14-2012, 08:22 AM
JDCustoms
Neutral
USED MOTOR being shipped.. Rebuild old motor!Possible dune buggy motor?