Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Flooded MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
minimini_
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flooded MINI

I purchased a used MINI 2003 about 2 weeks ago. It was a private sale and within a week the A/C stopped working and when I took it to the mechanic he told me the A/C Compressor ir broken and that it is a flood car. The carfax and title didn't mention any f[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]looding- but I guess a title wash could have been done. My dad who helped me purchase a used Toyota about 6 years ago had checked the car out and found no traces of flood damage. The mechanic I went to does not work at a MINi dealership, so I’m going to take it to a dealer and see if they can check it out. Is it possible that the seller did such an incredible cosmetic repair that the car does not smell like mold at all and seems to be in great condition (with wears and tears of course)? The mechanic said that no other failures came up when he connected the machine to the car and that he only noticed the rusting when he got to the bottom (when he was checking for the A/C). It will be quite costly to repair the compressor and I don’t want to put money into that if the entire car is going to fail in a few months.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Getting a second opinion from another technician concerning the condition of your MINI is likely the best idea. You're right about the moldy smell from a flood vehicle, either in the boot or passenger compartment. Could it be cleaned up so that it would not smell? Just guessing, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Llanrhaeadr_Cymru; 06-08-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Yes have someone else verify it. But you know CarFax has that guarantee so it would be interesting to see what would happen when you go back to them showing that they are wrong.

This is just another example of why I tell people never trust Carfax, have a trusted mechanic check it out.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more