Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CEL with Humid Hot weather.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 PM
coops88
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL with Humid Hot weather.

So, I am wanting to get another opinion. Below is my story, and feel free to chime in with any hints, or suggestions. The only thing I have done to my car is to replace the air filter with a K&N, so no blaming the issue on aftermarket parts.

Last year when driving my R53 checkmate and it was just out of warrantee, I noticed the check engine light was on. So, Having a brother and father who is a mechanic I did the correct thing, and stopped at the nearest auto parts store (Luckily about a block away). I borrowed their computer reader, and it said there was O2 Sensor pegged Lean. I believe this is the case, It might have been pegged rich, I don't recall which one it was. I knew this was something that I could drive the car with, so I cleared the code, and went on my merry way.

The light came on shortly after, and I once again cleared it. It then stayed off for a while, then it came back on. At this point I figured I should get the problem fixed. I drove to the nearest Mini dealer (Madison), which was less than a week old at this time, and had them look at it. 3 hours later they told me that it was the intake gasket in between the supercharger and the head. They said they verified this was the issue by smoking the intake. They were nice enough to give me an estimate of $700 to replace it, which I didn't have at the time. So I kept driving it with out much trouble. Eventually the light went out, and stayed out until today.

I realized the light comes on when it is both hot and humid out site. Today was 90 degrees and at least 80% humidity. The issue is I have a hard time believing that it is a gasket issue. Both my father and brother have stated that 'usually' those issues come up in the winter when the gaskets contract. I am thinking it is something to do with the 02 sensor or connection, and it gets flaky when it gets humid out.

I am curious to what the issue can be. If you want any more information, or the exact codes, I can get them.

Thank You.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:57 AM
clay44
2nd Gear
if you're handy with a wrench and have the spare time you can change the intake gasket on your own. If you do it might be a good idea to change your supercharger oil while your in there. Personally i wouldn't pay $700 for them to swap out a $20 part.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM
coops88
Neutral
Thanks for the info, I will probably do this in the spring and change the SC oil, and add a boost gauge while I all have it apart.

While looking around on other posts for a new issue (steering rack input shaft leaks), I have found there are vacuum hoses that rub and thus create holes in the tubes. I wonder if that could also be a possible issue.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM
coops88
Neutral
UPDATE:

I just look at the process for tearing the intake of the car out, and found from the pictures at pelican parts, that you have to remove the radiator. However when I was reading the document it didn't mention any thing about removing the radiator. Is this some that was just done for easy of taking the pictures, or is it possible to replace all the gaskets in the intake system without removing the radiator?

Curious for your thoughts.