Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

High speed fan issues! look in here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
BoostCzaR53
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High speed fan issues! look in here!!!

Currently have had problems with AC not cooling, after doing some observations, I have noticed that the fan is intermittently working. High or low speed!

Details:

AC Off, running at operating temp, low speed cuts on and off intermittently, PS fan stays off.

AC on, PS fan cuts on and runs, high speed never cuts on, neither does low speed.

Early 2002 build date so the fan circuit is tied into the PS fan, which tells me it has power, and obviously the fuse isnt blown.

Sitting in traffic with AC off, car starts to overheat and cools down as I get rolling naturally.

Fan was replaced about 3.5 months ago or less with NAPA OE replacement.

On cold startups/cool mornings the AC works fine, fan works like normal and as it should. ONLY WHEN IT GETS HOT OUT DO I HAVE PROBLEMS!

Who has had similar issues? All the evidence points to a bad fan again to me, so correct me if I sound wrong? The circuit for the high speed fan is getting power obviously because the PS fan is working fine, the low speed rarely ever cuts on, high speed never cuts on even with AC full PSI and at full temp, car will overheat before fan ever comes on.

I am leaning towards getting another fan, if so, has there been an established place to get a reliable fan assembly or to prevent further fan problems? Whether it be a wiring fix, or something? Obviously there is something flawed in the design for these things to go out all the time!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:39 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds like the fan is fine.....it runs.
The fact the car is overheating points to another issue imo....
check the coollant levels...and maybe bleed it....see if it changes. Maybe look at the qater pump....see if it is weeping (this only indicates if the seals are going bad, but you might be able to surmise if the pump is orgional or not....the vanes that pump the water can wear/erode, resulting in low flow)....is the coolant in good shape...has it been matained?! Is the rad in good shape...possible plugged with leakstop?!
By definition, if the fan runs ok on low, it should run on hi....it runs on reduced voltage on low, and bypasses this, and runs full voltage on hi....if you can borrow a scan guage, you will see the temps the fan runs...actual temp...the thermostat is mechanical....so another thing to look at....a few have been installed backwards.....
Just trying to list some areas to look at before you toss a fan at it....
If i rememner right, if you tap on the relay on the ewrly style fan, you can check to see if it is sticking....

Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM
BoostCzaR53
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Sounds like the fan is fine.....it runs.
The fact the car is overheating points to another issue imo....
check the coollant levels...and maybe bleed it....see if it changes. Maybe look at the qater pump....see if it is weeping (this only indicates if the seals are going bad, but you might be able to surmise if the pump is orgional or not....the vanes that pump the water can wear/erode, resulting in low flow)....is the coolant in good shape...has it been matained?! Is the rad in good shape...possible plugged with leakstop?!
By definition, if the fan runs ok on low, it should run on hi....it runs on reduced voltage on low, and bypasses this, and runs full voltage on hi....if you can borrow a scan guage, you will see the temps the fan runs...actual temp...the thermostat is mechanical....so another thing to look at....a few have been installed backwards.....
Just trying to list some areas to look at before you toss a fan at it....
If i rememner right, if you tap on the relay on the ewrly style fan, you can check to see if it is sticking....

there are no mechanical issues with my cooling system other then the fan. coolant was serviced at 100k, currently at 103k miles. The fan is not working at all in hot weather, and it overheats when sitting still and cools off when getting in motion which tells me the cooling system as far as fluid, pump, thermostat and such work properly cause I can drive hours on end as long as I keep moving and have no fluid loss.