Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R50 (base cooper) Transmission Fluid Changing Instructions (WITH PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Chibi Archillies
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 (base cooper) Transmission Fluid Changing Instructions (WITH PICS)

Ok, so the R56 and the R53 have different trans, and had a hell of a time figuring this out.

so here goes.

I've heard you can do this without taking off the drivers front wheel. The only way I can see this happening is if the car is either on a lift, or sitting over a repair bay.

Anyway...

1. jack up car and take off drivers front wheel

2. you'll need 17mm 3/4" drive socket and a short and LONG extension

3. reference below picture. The top hole is the fill hole. Remove this one first!!! If you cant get it off, bring the car someplace where a mechanic with an impact wrench can get it off for you. I think these are Tempered A1 Steel bolts. easy to strip. Once the bolt is broke loose, can can take it off with your fingers. it doesnt take much. When I did mine, fluid exploded/poured rapidly out of this hole. I guess the last people over serviced the trans.

3. Once you have the top bolt removed, inspect to see if a washer is on it.

4. Start on the drain bolt. This one proved VERY troublesome. apply constant even pressure. do not hit, bounce or kick the wrench, you will strip the head. Keep socket centered and apply lots of even pressure. use a pipe for leverage if you have to. This one you will NOT need an extension.

5. Once this bolt is off, let the oil drain until it stops. I did NOT have access to jack stands, so i lowered the car most of the way down until about 2" was left between front rotor and the ground. I am NOT sure if this is okay to do, but it is what I had at hand, and do not have access to floor jack and or jackstands to lift the whole car. i leveled the car back out after it was finished draining.

6. make sure both bolts are clean of the shavings or debris or FOD, and they both have a washer.

7. screw drain bolt and washer back in place. I forget the torque setting but i got mine a bit more than hand tight with the socket.

8. place hose with funnel at top end into the fill hole.

9. the trans takes about 1.75 bottles of Royal Purple. You cannot get MTL or MT90 in Phoenix anymore. you used to a few years ago as I still have some MTL on the shelf.

10. once finished screw back in fill bolt/washer and replace wheel. Properly tightening down all bolts.

11. Once you have the tire back on. sit in the car. Shift into all the gears in order and hold for 5-10 seconds to insure fluids is getting to each gear. Also when driving out for the first time, take it slow and easy on the gears, let it lube up before you start hammering on the clutch and shifter.

DONE.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Nice write-up!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM
DailyDrivenMini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did you use to put the oil in?