Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Slow Boost at Low RPM and then 1/2 Engine Symbol

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Slow Boost at Low RPM and then 1/2 Engine Symbol

Just dropped off Louise today at the dealer. This is a MINI problem and not a tune issue. With the RMW tune I've been having problems with slow boosting at low RPM and then getting the 1/2 engine symbol. Never any stored codes. I would just reset the ECU and then drive around the problem; no heavy throttle at low RPM and ease into the throttle at high RPM.

I've replaced all sensors I can get to which included both O2, MAP, MAF and air inlet temp. I also replaced the diverter valve twice as the AUDI one sucked. Forgot to mention that I replaced the intake manifold also.

I've pressure checked the intake system, post turbo to the head, at 21 PSIg, for leaks and none.

I've also had the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) replace under warranty.

With over 85K miles I also just the intake ports walnut blasted to shiny new and I treat weekly with Sea Foam which keeps it clean.

Over the past two weeks the problem has presented itself more often and now with the JCW tune. Now that it appears with the JCW tune the dealer can diagnose and fix it.

Putting this all to screen now makes me think it's a fuel problem, maybe the HPFP again.

It's a time of reckoning for this elusive gremlin.......

Last edited by scottab36; 07-19-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:10 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Heard back from the dealer; they reproduce the condition yesterday but not today; I explained that with it being 20 degrees cooler today it probably won't show on the JCW tune and recommended that they put the RMW tune on because it's more agressive and will force the problem. They want to data log evrything at the point it goes into limp mode. More specific, how much boost is present. They've tested the following items:

Waste gate - SAT
All Vacuum lines - SAT
Boost Control Valve - SAT
Lines to and from the EVAP System - SAT
Fuel EVAP System - SAT

They will pull the downpipe and inspect the turbo exhaust side and related items tomorrow along with doing a smoke check of the intake.

If this reveals nothing then they are leaning to replacing the DME module.

It's almost a completely new MINI with everything that has been replaced or modified. I just can help the addiction; when Louise is happy, she's soooo damn good!!!

More to follow.....

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any play in the turbine shaft?

What is the dealership thinking, pre or post cat leak? Exhaust manifold leak? EGR valve?

Originally Posted by scottab36
Heard back from the dealer; they reproduce the condition yesterday but not today; I explained that with it being 20 degrees cooler today it probably won't show on the JCW tune and recommended that they put the RMW tune on because it's more agressive and will force the problem. They want to data log evrything at the point it goes into limp mode. More specific, how much boost is present. They've tested the following items:

Waste gate - SAT
All Vacuum lines - SAT
Boost Control Valve - SAT
Lines to and from the EVAP System - SAT
Fuel EVAP System - SAT

They will pull the downpipe and inspect the turbo exhaust side and related items tomorrow along with doing a smoke check of the intake.

If this reveals nothing then they are leaning to replacing the DME module.

It's almost a completely new MINI with everything that has been replaced or modified. I just can help the addiction; when Louise is happy, she's soooo damn good!!!

More to follow.....

Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux
Any play in the turbine shaft?

What is the dealership thinking, pre or post cat leak? Exhaust manifold leak? EGR valve?

I've not heard or smelled any exhaust leaks and no O2 sensor codes. Not sure about the EGR though. They're dropping the down pipe to inspect everything. I have a lead on a new turbo for $1k if I need it. Not so lucky with an ECU if I need that. I suspect I will here from them today and know what's up with Louise.

I'll ask them about the EGR valve.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EGR Valve isn't your problem, as you do not have one.

I'd have them take a good look @ the cat, bet you have a plausible clog/restriction causing your boost related issue. Its not uncommon for the honey comb to start to come apart in higher mileage cars (especially ones that are enjoyed, tuned), and start causing all kinds of fun leading to what you've just described.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop on what the shop finds.

Last edited by boOst spIKe; 07-23-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
...With the RMW tune I've been having problems with slow boosting at low RPM and then getting the 1/2 engine symbol. Never any stored codes.
You're saying that with a CEL, you cannot access / find any fault codes?
What generic scanner are you using?
Have you tackled an approved MINI-protocol scanner like a Bavarian Technic unit?

The ECU will tell you what system(s) are affected and allow you to hone in on your diagnosis efforts.

- Erik

Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
The BMW error code stored is it's a "Boost Plausibility Error". The final outcome is the the turbo is failing. It's unable to make the boost set points with either the RMW tune or JCW tune.

The turbo has been replaced and the problem is solved. Mechanic said the car pulls like crazy now and holds boost. He also got pulled over by the police during the test drive. OOPS!!

After a year and a half of chasing this problem, it's fixed!!

It's my belief that there is nothing really wrong with the turbos as they're designed to meet the factory specifications. Once you enter the world of performance modifications you are exceeding the limits of the factory equipment. This is the price you pay to play. It is what it is so get over it or get out of the sandbox.

Last edited by scottab36; 07-26-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
The BMW error code stored is it's a "Boost Plausibility Error". The final outcome is the the turbo is failing. It's unable to make the boost set points with either the RMW tune or JCW tune.

The turbo has been replaced and the problem is solved. Mechanic said the car pulls like crazy now and holds boost. He also got pulled over by the police during the test drive. OOPS!!

After a year and a half of chasing this problem, it's fixed!!

It's my belief that there is nothing really wrong with the turbos as they're designed to meet the factory specifications. Once you enter the world of performance modifications you are exceeding the limits of the factory equipment. This is the price you pay to play. It is what it is so get over it or get out of the sandbox.

I have to retract part of this post after talking, this morning, with G-Pop Shop in Springdale, AR. Their business is turbos and they rebuild a lot of R56 turbos.

They sighted several reasons for the R56 turbo failures and although tuning your MINI will shorten the life of your turbo, even the factory tuned R56 MINI turbos are failing at a high rate.

The reasons sighted are:
The unrealistic oil change interval recommend by MINI. The shops suggestion was to change oil every 6,000 miles.
The poor design of the turbo which includes a inadequate journal bearing design which doesn't lubricate the turbo bearing properly.
There is also some issues with the actual materials used inside the turbo; they are not steel and should be.

I will be sending my old turbo off for repair/upgrade to G-Pop Shop an although it will not solve the problem completely the upgraded turbo will at least have a better designed journal bearing. I now have two turbos for hot-swapping, literally.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've had the haunting 1/2 Engine CEL it seems like forever now. Never actually had a working tune, except when I could floor it and shift quick enough to hold overboost. I'd gotten the same feedback regarding the turbo from several shops. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you having upgraded on your turbo by G-POP, and what were you quoted for pricing? I'm looking to go the same route, and really don't know what should be replaced with higher quality parts. Thanks

Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
G-Pop Shop will replace the single port journal bearing with a dual port journal bearing to allow more oil flow to the shaft. They also do a couple of other things but didn't go into detail; trade secrets I guess. A basic rebuild is about $350.00; a KO3 to KO4 upgrade runs about $700.00 which includes replacing the compressor blades on both the exhaust and compression sides along with the basic rebuild. If you give them a call they will go into more detail on what they do. Good luck!!